Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by adl73x
I'm pretty sure the 3 x points for fuel from a supermarket, and for travel expenses incurred overseas were anomalies anyway.
Maybe, but at least they are still being awarded on new purchases!

Just got off the phone from Amex Customer Service again. Another "7 days" to get the supermarket points accelerator added back onto the Gold card
So you aren't even getting bonus points on new transactions? Have you considered using the complaints procedure rather than normal customer service?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:28 am
uk1
Suspended

............. obvious really .... but just in case it might remind and help others.

If you are a Plat card holder as well as the Gold .... then use the Plat card CS number to try and resolve your Gold card issues. It seems to me that they are more helpful .... and they were keen to give me a named contact and extension number to deal with future issues.

Hope it helps others .......
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by Cluster One
Maybe, but at least they are still being awarded on new purchases!

So you aren't even getting bonus points on new transactions? Have you considered using the complaints procedure rather than normal customer service?
Yes, I've tried that too. That avenue keeps being referred to the back office who erroneous determine (on 3 separate investigations) that my entitlement to points accelerator on Supermarket spend ended after 12 months in September 2010.

Each time I have started again reminding them that the Preferred Rewards Gold Card product did not exist in the UK until April 2010, so their conclusion was not only wrong, but impossible, and of all that has gone before. Each time both complaints and customer service have agreed I've been wronged and undertook to fix it. But each deadline for a fix in the 5 months since has passed without any resolution at all.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Woo hoo! Just got 4000 MRs as a "Supermarket and Petrol welcome bonus" which is slightly more than the points I've been missing since September. Still waiting to see a real supermarket of petrol transaction track normally with the bonus points, but this is a huge belated step in the right direction.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:24 am

Woo hoo! Just got 4000 MRs as a "Supermarket and Petrol welcome bonus" which is slightly more than the points I've been missing since September. Still waiting to see a real supermarket of petrol transaction track normally with the bonus points, but this is a huge belated step in the right direction.
Glad to hear it, look at the adittional points as compensation for your time in chasing them up.

Looking forward to getting rid of this card in a few months time, although points do seem to be posting fine now.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Looking forward to getting rid of this card in a few months time, although points do seem to be posting fine now.
I suspect they will be inundated with requests to close accounts, just before the fee for a further year becomes due.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hilton
Also looking forward to giving up this card in a few months.
Have just applied for the BA amex premium plus card and hoping its a lot less hassle??
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by jimmybiscuit
Also looking forward to giving up this card in a few months.
Have just applied for the BA amex premium plus card and hoping its a lot less hassle??
It is! Points, bonus points and companion vouchers post fast with no need to chase. I am looking forward to replacing this with the SPG card.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:16 am

Just got 4000 MRs as a "Supermarket and Petrol welcome bonus"
2,000 points appeared in my account today under the same heading. Think I've been under-credited rather than over-credited though....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ha! I have just put in another complaint - my 5th since October - about non-doubling up, which I am still not getting unlike others. All responses so far claim it will happen in time, but that cancellation date is looming!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Profit but hassle.

I've finally closed the 3 cards Mrs B and I had (2 x Gold and 1 Plat.)

Overall
90K MR points (80K promo+ spend MR 10K) cost me £35. ^
(Due to Quidco cashback on all three and pro rata refunds of the fee when cancelling)

Used the "VIP" lounges about 5 times and the insurance came in handy for a few long haul trips (never claimed though) which all must have come to more than £35.00 ^

The lack of Good CS and the farcial setup and non posting of bonus and actual reward points would make me never to use Amex again -even if they have a similar promo later this year.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:58 am
JSC

I looked for the answer to this in the OP but couldn't see it... given the impending probable mass cancellation of cards as the 1 year anniversary looms, would you still keep all your MR points and be able to use them at leisure? I also have a BA PP and BA Blue card but neither are linked into any MR account as far as I can see.

Might be useful to add confirmation of this to the OP?

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No. You lose your MR points when you cancel the card - although I think there is a 30 day grace period (definitely don't trust me on that). The way around it is to apply for a free Amex which has MR as a benefit, should such a card exist. Or spend them!

The grace period is there mainly to help people who have corporate MR cards and who get fired - it gives them leeway to apply for a personal Amex and keep the MR points alive.

Will amend OP.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:10 am
JSC

Thanks Raffles^

Now would you happen to know of a free card that allows you to keep the MR points...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by JSC
Thanks Raffles^

Now would you happen to know of a free card that allows you to keep the MR points...
It doesn't appear that there is one - the Express Rewards Credit Card seems to accrue some sort of MR-lite.

Incidentally, should mad_rich still be keeping the list of double points merchants up to date, I've discovered that topping up my Oyster card at a National Express East Anglia ticket machine got me double points. (It appeared the statement under their old name of 'One Railway').

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.