Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Ah, this thread floating to the top has reminded me to poke Quidco again. (No cashback yet from a card applied for in September)

Originally Posted by rtwflyer
was the travelcard purchase at a TfL station?
So far, I've had the double points for auto-topup triggered at tube stations, and also buying a travelcard online to be loaded from a tube station. I noticed an auto-topup triggering on a bus today, so I'll keep an eye on whether that qualifies too.

Originally Posted by d3vski
Just got the Gold card a few weeks ago and have been filling up the car with it.

I was astonished to see that i am accruing 3 points per every pound spent. I was only expecting double points (1 base and 1 bonus) but it seems to be giving me 1 base point and 2 bonus points for every pound spent on fuel.

Is this normal?
Are you filling up at a supermarket filling station? It seems that you get bonus points for fuel, and bonus points for it being a supermarket. (I think that Tesco Express-branded Esso stations may be an exception to this)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by adam1uk
Once they'd sorted it out so that I got any bonus points at all, I always got 3 points per £ at Tesco petrol stations. If fact, by the end, it was the only thing I used it for.

And don't forget that using your Clubcard at petrol stations get you only 1 CC point per £2, but if you use your Tesco credit card as your Clubcard, you get 1 point per £. That means that altogether, you're getting 5 BA Miles per £ on Tesco petrol.
I did not know about the Tesco CC trick. with an average of 40 pounds every 5 days, i will be able to rack up 14600 miles without even trying. I think ill start filling up my dads car as well. Nice. Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by adam1uk
That's not my experience. I sent a secure message yesterday, and got a reply today asking if there was anything to do to change my mind. If there wasn't, I just needed to reply confirming that I wanted to go ahead.
Just like you and a previous poster, I signed up for the Gold & Platinum offers last year and now intend to cancel one of them. To be fair to Amex, after a lot of grief in the first few months, my Gold card now seems to operate as it always should have done although a while ago I made my mind up to cancel it after 12 months.

For me there is actually something "they can do" - if they continued the multiple points on petrol & groceries I would probably pay for another year of the Gold card. Has anybody had an offer?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:27 am
formerly frankdjs

Programs: BA EC Gold
Hi,

I actually called AX yesterday to enquire about switching to the BA premium card and if they could do me a deal on the annual fee, as my gold charge fee is waived do to my spend level. They could not, so I explained I was not happy etc.. so I got offered double membership reward points for 6 months on everything, their deepest retention offer, apparently. I have had the card since 03 and spend about 20k on it.

Rgds
Frankdjs
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by frankdjs
Hi,

I actually called AX yesterday to enquire about switching to the BA premium card and if they could do me a deal on the annual fee, as my gold charge fee is waived do to my spend level. They could not, so I explained I was not happy etc.. so I got offered double membership reward points for 6 months on everything, their deepest retention offer, apparently. I have had the card since 03 and spend about 20k on it.

Rgds
Frankdjs
Thanks for that - I think I will call today.

For me, having both cards (and a BA Amex) is hard to justify and the additional benefits of the Gold card after the first year are minimal.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC
What happens to the points when you cancel this card? My only other card is the BA PP which isn't part of the 'rewards' scheme as far as I know.

I've transferred the rewards up till last month but still have 1255 points. Due to the minimum transfer and 500 point increments I'm going to be left with some stray points.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by weirdfish
What happens to the points when you cancel this card? My only other card is the BA PP which isn't part of the 'rewards' scheme as far as I know.

I've transferred the rewards up till last month but still have 1255 points. Due to the minimum transfer and 500 point increments I'm going to be left with some stray points.
I believe they disappear into the ether. Either you're going to lose 255 points, or you'll need to spend a bit of money. (A tank of fuel at Tesco ought to do it, surely?)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by teflon
I believe they disappear into the ether. Either you're going to lose 255 points, or you'll need to spend a bit of money. (A tank of fuel at Tesco ought to do it, surely?)
Yeah thats a very good idea. By spending £82 on Tesco fuel I can get the extra 245 points, which at the moment is way too easy to do
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by weirdfish

Priority Club takes transfers in multiples of 100
Nectar takes multiples of 1

A balance of 0 is therefore easy to get!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Priority Club takes transfers in multiples of 100
Nectar takes multiples of 1

A balance of 0 is therefore easy to get!

It's amazing how single minded I've become since I joined the BAEC. Everything gets converted into miles and it never crossed my mind to transfer the reward points elsewhere. Doh .

Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:12 am

Yesterday I placed a a large order on the Dell website using a card that I've been using since May 2010. The transaction was (perhaps understandably) blocked with notificiations to my email and phone.

I called them up and they said I've been using the wrong card and they sent a replacement card with a different expiry date as I apparently called on 15th February (I did not) to discuss an issue.

There was no way to release the transaction as the card had been replaced. I said I had just bought petrol and goods at Tesco the same morning. She said that such transactions do not go through fraud checks and the card should have not worked.

She has launched an investigation and a manager to call me back in 48 hours. I couldn't care less what the outcome is !
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:26 am

I was offered six months of double points on everything and the option to pay the fee monthly, with a review in 6 months (at which point I would imagine I'd have to pay the outstanding fee if I then cancel the card)

I initially said ok but after a couple of days doing some maths, I decided it wasn't worth it, especially with the likelihood of losing the ability to pay the balance with the paypal topup card imminently.

I've phoned and cancelled my gold now but the 6 months double points and monthly fee may work for others.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
When I phoned to cancel mine a few weeks ago, I was offers a couple of options to keep the card. The first one was and extension of the bonus period and the second was £100 of M&S vouchers.

I declined both and confirmed I wanted to proceed with the cancellation.

I was asked what they could have done better to have prevented me wishing to cancel. I was quite forthright in my complaints about constantly having had to chase the bonus points at various stages and constantly being fobbed of by their customer care team.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stevie-d
When I phoned to cancel mine a few weeks ago, I was offers a couple of options to keep the card. The first one was and extension of the bonus period and the second was £100 of M&S vouchers.
I wonder what is to stop you taking the £100 of vouchers and cancel in a few months time, getting a refund of the fee though? As soon as the latest DD has gone through, I'll be cancelling mine, will see what they say.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:59 am

The fee is up front and non refundable. Although you'd be getting £100 worth of vouchers for 95quid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.