Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by chistery
... best to find somewhere to transfer them to ...
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
... cannot seem to find a way of transferring them to someone else.
(My bolding)

I'm pretty sure you can't transfer to another person. You can transfer points to airline and hotel programmes or use them to buy merchandise.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thanks - was looking online but cannot seem to find a way of transferring them to someone else. I guess I need to call them.
My understanding is that, with some partners, you can transfer to another account because they don't check the name. Not sure which ones. However, this is not meant to happen.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Ouch. I just assumed that the posts in CC referred to actual MR transfers and not conversions to other programmes. Might call to get the M&S vouchers or convert them either to SPG or HH.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Ouch. I just assumed that the posts in CC referred to actual MR transfers and not conversions to other programmes. Might call to get the M&S vouchers or convert them either to SPG or HH.
Nectar points allow transfers of 1 point...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I originally accepted the offer of 2x points on everything for a further 6 months, until I decided it wasn't really going to be worthwhile so I have now cancelled my Gold card.

Looking over my final statement I've noticed that it seemed the 2x points on everything was activated immediately, however it seems it was 2x bonus points on everything meaning for the last few transactions I got 3x on everything, including a Paypal topup I did to get my points to a transferable level.

I'm not sure if this was because I wasn't at the end of the original year or whether it is indeed a 2x bonus on everythig for 6 months. I thought I'd mention it as it may sway some people to keep the card for a while if you get offered the deal when you cancel.

Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:32 am

Cancelled the card.

Disappointingly, no retention offer
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Cancelled the card.

I cancelled mine via the online portal. I got a response that effectively said:

"We're sorry you're leaving and we will phone you to discuss if there's anything else we could have done. If you do not want us to phone you, please phone us to let us know."

Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I cancelled mine via the online portal. I got a response that effectively said:

"We're sorry you're leaving and we will phone you to discuss if there's anything else we could have done. If you do not want us to phone you, please phone us to let us know."

That's what I got and got a phone call about 2 days later.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by weirdfish
That's what I got and got a phone call about 2 days later.
And my wife and I got that message but no phone calls at all!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Cancelled the card.

Same for me although they tried hard to get me to sign up for the Plat cashback card. In fact they put more effort into that than they have ever done with my various complaints about their handling of my account over the past 12 months.

Absolutely no regrets.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
The charge for this card is £95 a year.

Is there any penalty for cancelling the card before the years end as my renwal is due?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mdj1
The charge for this card is £95 a year.

Is there any penalty for cancelling the card before the years end as my renwal is due?
No penalty at all. If anything you will get a rebate of the charge back (pro rated over the number of months you have had it for...)
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:01 pm

I got £7.91 credited to my account because I cancelled short of the year. I actually very nearly embarrassed myself because of it. I'd originally agreed to pay the fee monthly as part of the please don't cancel thing and thought they'd started charging me not only before the new membership year had started, but also after I'd finally cancelled the card. I was on hold to Amex when I finally realised it was in the payments column. Doh.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Apologies if this is a dim question, but if I buy something from the US on Ebay, paying with Paypal, is that overseas spend for MR bonus points purposes?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by louie-m
Apologies if this is a dim question, but if I buy something from the US on Ebay, paying with Paypal, is that overseas spend for MR bonus points purposes?
Probably. As far as I remember PayPal Amex transactions are processed in Singapore for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.