Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by floorhead
My anniversary date is May 7 yet the £95 annual fee came through today. I called to complain that it shouldn't have been charged until May 7. They are reversing the charge and it won't come through until May 7, by which point I will have cancelled the card.

I think they are expecting a bunch of cancellations and are brining forward the annual charge in the hope that people will just pay it and thus keep the card for another year. There is no reason for this charge to appear a month early.
Same situation here. I called this morning to cancel. They offered to reduce the fee to £50 after reviewing my account history. I declined; they removed the £95 charge, I paid my remaining balance and my account now shows as cancelled online.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
++ DELETED ++

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Apr 9, 2011 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:26 am

Also received the card fee early on this months statement. Called at the weekend to cancel the card, was offered a £50 credit "for my loyalty" applied towards my account as they do not "reduce or waive the fee anymore", I excepted. However I now realise that the double points for supermarket/petrol spend is gone, can I cancel the card and get the the refund for the card fee, or do so next month and get a pro rata refund for 11 months? (& keep their £50)
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm about to cancel my card, but I'm current in credit due to me overpaying to clear off my PayPal card balance. My annual fee has also appeared online, earlier than I expected.

Does anyone know how Amex give any credit balance on a card back?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, of course, its your money so you can ask for it back. They can also transfer it to any other Amex-issued Amex you hold. My £36 fee refund from the Gold card was moved to my BA Amex.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
On the subject of cancelling this card and applying for a new one, am I right in thinking that the only AMEX cards that provide Membership Rewards are premium ones with an annual fee (i.e.: this Preferred Rewards Gold card, the Platinum card, etc.)?

There is the Express Rewards Credit Card, but it implies that Express Points earned there are redeemable only at high-street stores and not for BA miles.

You might wonder why I don't just get a BA card, and the answer is that I'm considering "eurocheating...."
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes, of course, its your money so you can ask for it back. They can also transfer it to any other Amex-issued Amex you hold. My £36 fee refund from the Gold card was moved to my BA Amex.
They can transfer a positive balance to another card, not just the card fee? They won't try to treat that as a balance transfer?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
They can transfer a positive balance to another card, not just the card fee? They won't try to treat that as a balance transfer?
With my transfers it has appeared as a "goodwill credit"... I specifically asked about the wording and they said it was to ensure no issues with balance transfers, but it was just the transfer of a credit balance.

My wife has also got a cheque from them in the past, so if really worried, just ask them to post you a cheque!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by dark_horse
On the subject of cancelling this card and applying for a new one, am I right in thinking that the only AMEX cards that provide Membership Rewards are premium ones with an annual fee (i.e.: this Preferred Rewards Gold card, the Platinum card, etc.)?

There is the Express Rewards Credit Card, but it implies that Express Points earned there are redeemable only at high-street stores and not for BA miles
Looks like it. Those are the only two GBP-denominated cards Amex UK issues with full membership rewards points. I have an Express Rewards card and can confirm the only option it offers you for the points is 5000 points => £25 high street vouchers. I do also have a green euro ICC with normal MR; I wonder would they transfer points from the Express Rewards account to it?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
Looks like it. Those are the only two GBP-denominated cards Amex UK issues with full membership rewards points. ?
Actually at least 3, green, gold and platinum.
Originally Posted by stifle
I have an Express Rewards card and can confirm the only option it offers you for the points is 5000 points => £25 high street vouchers. I do also have a green euro ICC with normal MR; I wonder would they transfer points from the Express Rewards account to it?
I don't believe so as ER and MR are totally different AMEX reward schemes
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
The green card appears notable by its absence on the AMEX UK website. I'm sure it was there a few months ago but definitely isn't now.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dark_horse
The green card appears notable by its absence on the AMEX UK website. I'm sure it was there a few months ago but definitely isn't now.
Indeed, it was there as you say, but now vanquished, I stand corrected!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
As mentioned above, the green sterling one was nixed. It went in February.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: F
They waived next year's fee for Mrs. Redshift27

Sorry guys.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I got a call a few weeks ago but couldn't take it as I was on my way out the door. Asked them to call me back...they never did. I wonder if they were going to make me a similar offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.