Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by weirdfish
The fee is up front and non refundable. Although you'd be getting £100 worth of vouchers for 95quid.
I believe you get a refund pro-rata'd for the remaining year.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC
not according to the guy I was dealing with, but you may be right. Either way I'm not sure 100quid of M&S vouchers are worth the effort.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
You do get a pro-rated refund on the annual fee if you cancel in the year. The balance on my cancelled card shows -£15.??

I'm not to sure how long you have to wait to actually get the refund.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC
WHAT???? the Amex customer service agent was fibbing to me?

Shocking, just shocking
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stevie-d
... and the second was £100 of M&S vouchers
Was it £100 of M&A vouchers (ie, you could spend £100 on anything and pay with the vouchers) or was it really £100 of money off vouchers? (eg, spend £500, get £50 off, spend £300 get £30 off etc)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:47 am
uk1
Suspended

You do get a pro-rated refund on the annual fee if you cancel in the year. The balance on my cancelled card shows -£15.??

I'm not to sure how long you have to wait to actually get the refund.
It sits in the account staring at you and when you want to send them a secure note asking when you can have it - it tells you that the system is currently unavailable which is a euphanism for "as you've cancelled the card we no longer want to hear from you".
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Was it £100 of M&A vouchers (ie, you could spend £100 on anything and pay with the vouchers) or was it really £100 of money off vouchers? (eg, spend £500, get £50 off, spend £300 get £30 off etc)
I cannot say for sure because I did not accept the offer, but the offer was for £100 of M&S vouchers. Therefore I assumed it was the former.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Is anyone amused that Amex are offering GBP100 in M&S vouchers to disuade you from cancelling this card, when M&S are one of the supermarkets that wont credit as Supermarket Spend awarding bonus MRs the card you're trying cancel?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I cannot say for sure because I did not accept the offer, but the offer was for £100 of M&S vouchers. Therefore I assumed it was the former.
The cynic in me suspects thats what they wanted you to assume
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by uk1
It sits in the account staring at you and when you want to send them a secure note asking when you can have it - it tells you that the system is currently unavailable which is a euphanism for "as you've cancelled the card we no longer want to hear from you".
No worries, just ring Amex and they will send you a cheque(remember them!) worked for me and Mrs Yorkieflyer for the prorata refund
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:00 pm

A possible alternative

Sounds like there will be a good number of us giving up this card over the coming months. A 'free' alternative worth considering is the AA MBNA card, the sign up miles have recently been doubled to 10k and you get a whopping 3 miles(albeit AA) per £ on supermarket + fuel purchases in the first 6 months. With the Gold card being popular for this type of purchases, I thought it worth mentioning.

Plus, there are some good AA redemptions to be had out there.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Oh dear, replying to myself again...
Originally Posted by teflon
So far, I've had the double points for auto-topup triggered at tube stations, and also buying a travelcard online to be loaded from a tube station. I noticed an auto-topup triggering on a bus today, so I'll keep an eye on whether that qualifies too.
TfL spend which has triggered double points:
LON UNDERGRND OYSTER TRAVLCRD AUTO, LOND (auto-top-up on the Tube)
OYSTER TRAVELCARD (buying a Travelcard online to be collected at a Tube gateline)

TfL spend which hasn't:
AUTOLOAD BUS LONDON UK (auto-top-up triggered on a bus)

I suppose the only way to be certain of the double points for topping up your Oyster card is to do it at a mainline rail station.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
This was related to losing MR pts following canx of the gold charge card.

Originally Posted by chistery
Phone them up and ask them to swap it to your platinum card as you want to cancel the gold one. I had to make changes to mine, they did it immediately and was visible on line straight away.
What if one does not have a PLAT charge card? Would they be lost? (Hence the need to convert them or send them to someone else before cancelling?)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
This was related to losing MR pts following canx of the gold charge card.

What if one does not have a PLAT charge card? Would they be lost? (Hence the need to convert them or send them to someone else before cancelling?)
If you don't have another MR points card, then yes, they are lost, so best to find somewhere to transfer them to before you cancel.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by chistery
If you don't have another MR points card, then yes, they are lost, so best to find somewhere to transfer them to before you cancel.
Thanks - was looking online but cannot seem to find a way of transferring them to someone else. I guess I need to call them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.