Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
There is a spend limit, but (at least with Amex Plat) they don't tell you what it is. Seriously. Your card will simply be rejected if you spend more than Amex thinks, on that day, you can afford.

You cannot shift limit from your BA Amex because they are based on 2 different criteria. Your Amex Gold will be based entirely on what they think you can repay from your monthly salary, since it is a charge card. If you earn £20k, which is about £14k after tax, your card will therefore be limited to about £500 (at a guess) since that is what Amex reckons you could clear each month after mortgage / bills etc.
It is very odd. It is also based on your previous usage. After not using the Platinum card for 6 months I was told that a lower limit had been imposed. They were happy to remove it when I explained that the expenditure had been switched to another Amex card.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
There is a spend limit, but (at least with Amex Plat) they don't tell you what it is. Seriously. Your card will simply be rejected if you spend more than Amex thinks, on that day, you can afford.

You cannot shift limit from your BA Amex because they are based on 2 different criteria. Your Amex Gold will be based entirely on what they think you can repay from your monthly salary, since it is a charge card. If you earn £20k, which is about £14k after tax, your card will therefore be limited to about £500 (at a guess) since that is what Amex reckons you could clear each month after mortgage / bills etc.
Crikey. Not knowing what the limit is and then having one's card turned down could be a little embarassing.

Being a newbie on this charge card lark I defer to Raffles's far greater knowledge, but the maths above does seem on the low side; if I calculate what my limit should be based on the above it gives an amount of less than 10% of the figure Amex happily extends to me?

This is a somewhat academic point: so long as it'll take £500 in the first three months... ^
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
Crikey. Not knowing what the limit is and then having one's card turned down could be a little embarassing.
You can get an idea though of what it is. Last year (when I used to have this card before I cancelled it) I wanted to put through a £20k transaction on the card which I was told wouldn't go through by Customer Services. I then asked if I would be able to put through a £10k transaction and was told it would. I guess you could keep ringing up with different amounts to get an idea.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
So far as the multiple cards / checks issue goes, mate of mine applies for (and gets) every zero-rate card out there, maxes them out buying Premium Bonds, pays them off when the 0% period is over by cashing in bonds (or tx balance to latest card).
Looks like Premium bonds are debit card only now...
How to pay: debit card only (Maestro, Switch, Visa Debit or MasterCard Debit) in your own name. No credit cards. Please make sure you have enough money in your account.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:05 am

The limit on the Plat card is interesting - I now know mine is about four times monthly gross salary, having put a sizeable transaction through a couple of months back - it's also strangely higher than my BA Amex PP card!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Being a newbie on this charge card lark I defer to Raffles's far greater knowledge, but the maths above does seem on the low side; if I calculate what my limit should be based on the above it gives an amount of less than 10% of the figure Amex happily extends to me?
But that is CREDIT. Amex is happy to give you £20k of CREDIT because the monthly minimum repayment is 3% (I think) which is only £600, which someone earning £20k could pay, just.

You have to clear the CHARGE card every month, in full, or they'll see you in court.

In reality they are more flexible than I posted, especially if you are charging reclaimable work expenses. They will also give higher limits once you are an established customer.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Oh, perhaps there is hope for me then!

However, too risky to apply for now as just moved house and need to wait for the council tax / electoral register matches to kick in. Promo runs until 7th June so no rush, unless Quidco pull the £60.
Hmmm, I've just moved house too, how long does it take to kick in?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just had a word with Amex about this as I had the "wait & see" message too. Apparently in my case it was because a massive number of online applications were received in a short space of time, and their systems were having problems connecting with the credit reference agency. I was told my application had been "moved along a bit" after giving a little more info...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Cheers Raffles.

I use my BA Plus Amex like a charge card anyway, in fact I usually clear the balance at least twice a month with the silly low credit limit on it. I was hoping that if after a few months I decide to cancel the charge card it would help convince Amex to give a more realistic credit limit on the BA Plus. But I doubt it.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rupert_s
Looks like Premium bonds are debit card only now...
Worth noting that you can also buy PB with your paypal top up card at your local post office. As you may know, the paypal top up card can be loaded with funds from an AMEX(or any other credit provider) with the added bonus of earning miles.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by exBAcrew
Just had a word with Amex about this as I had the "wait & see" message too. Apparently in my case it was because a massive number of online applications were received in a short space of time, and their systems were having problems connecting with the credit reference agency. I was told my application had been "moved along a bit" after giving a little more info...
Was just about to apply now although obviously i would rather have an instant yes as opposed to a 'wait and see'

Do you think i should apply later on in the evening(say 11pm+) when they are receiving less applications.

Also, OT: i have 2 credit cards. My AMEX PP+ and a Nationwide Visa from a few years ago which i have not used in 6months. Do you think if i were to cancel it now it would improve my credit app chances or should it not really matter. Always good to hold on to a VISA i feel incase i am ever stuck at an outlet that does not take AMEX and large credit access is necessary.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You should never leave yourself totally reliant on Amex. You should also never rely entirely on the same issuer (in this case Amex) as you are stuffed if their card verification computer falls over, as happens occasionally, or if their system is overloaded as can happen at Christmas, sales time etc.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: MUCCI
You should never leave yourself totally reliant on Amex. You should also never rely entirely on the same issuer (in this case Amex) as you are stuffed if their card verification computer falls over, as happens occasionally, or if their system is overloaded as can happen at Christmas, sales time etc.
Indeed.

Diversivy the network - have cards in your wallet running on the amex, visa and mastercard networks, etc.
Diversify the issuer/lender - have cards where the control on use of them is coming from different parties - your bank/mbna/amex/other bank/other card issuer etc.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Was just about to apply now although obviously i would rather have an instant yes as opposed to a 'wait and see'

Do you think i should apply later on in the evening(say 11pm+) when they are receiving less applications.

Also, OT: i have 2 credit cards. My AMEX PP+ and a Nationwide Visa from a few years ago which i have not used in 6months. Do you think if i were to cancel it now it would improve my credit app chances or should it not really matter. Always good to hold on to a VISA i feel incase i am ever stuck at an outlet that does not take AMEX and large credit access is necessary.
I was told there was also a huge online reponse today so I'd say yes, the later the better. From what I've read previously, having a few cards is seen as quite acceptable (if the accounts are in good order, with very few or no late payments) so I wouldn't cancel if you have only two I asked if I ought to cancel one of my two Amex cards (or 3 if you include MBNA bmi Amex) but I got the impression that wasn't an issue.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by David-A
Indeed.

Diversivy the network - have cards in your wallet running on the amex, visa and mastercard networks, etc.
Diversify the issuer/lender - have cards where the control on use of them is coming from different parties - your bank/mbna/amex/other bank/other card issuer etc.
I think the first card issuer to offer a thirty slot card wallet with a new Amex will be on to a winning thing, but in the meantime I'll take the 20,000 miles and make it fit somehow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.