Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by RedVee
Phoned to cancel, put through to customer satisfaction. Offered double points - no thanks, double points and £50 off the fee - no thanks, double points, £50 off the fee and a £100 Tesco voucher - yes please^
I tried closing my Gold card by secure message yesterday. The reply was I had to phone. I was offered double points, but not nothing else. I didn't try and negotaite. I did ask about what they would do with the empty MR account as I was considering applying for the Platinum card. They said the existing MR account would be closed with the Gold card and a new one would be opened if I applied for the Platinum. I will apply for the SPG card and wait a while before applying for the Platinum.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by RedVee
Phoned to cancel, put through to customer satisfaction. Offered double points - no thanks, double points and £50 off the fee - no thanks, double points, £50 off the fee and a £100 Tesco voucher - yes please^

Regards
R3dV
I got offered the double points (after giving my one of reasons for cancellation the lack of double points posting automatically)...and when I rejected they suggested the "very value" nectar Amex .
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
hi guys,

so apart from perhaps an offer to get me to keep the card, what would happen to the MR points if i tried to cancel the card ? would they remain until i decided what i wanted to do with them or would i have to transfer them when i decide to cancel the card ?

cs
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:46 am

I you don't have another MR enabled card, then your MR account is closed also, so you'd need to redeem them before cancelling the card.

I shifted all mine to BA and then called to cancel. I had a residual amount left which I arranged to shift to Priority Club on the cancellation call.

The evening of the day that I cancelled my MR account became inaccessible.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone ever cancelled their card whilst having a minus MR balance? I transferred all my points into BA Miles, and then ended up getting a refund on the card.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA gold
After my email was first raised to Amex in around mid-November regarding missing bonus points in October. They followed up in January, March and May.

I finally received a letter from Amex today attempting to resolve my complaint. They concluded I was short by 170 MR points. It should be 635.

As a guesture of goodwill, they've credited 1,000 points.

I can't be bothered to pursue it any more, and since it is only useful for travel spend from now on after one year, it's going to be cancelled once the MR points are transferred over to BA.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:54 pm

Get triple on petrol from sainsburys
No bonus for oyster or m6 toll
Double for CX flights
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
My renewal fee is due next week, so I gave the cancellation line a call to see what they could offer me.
I have around 28k MR points left in my account so I just said I was thinking about cancelling. They offered me double points for 6 months or offered to open a BA card instead, as I am still in Euro-land the latter is impossible for me and the former of limited benefit.
I suppose with hindsight I should have accepted the double points to see if it would double dip with outbound spend, maybe I better call them back!
Anyhow, even without a reduction in the fee I'm going to keep the card because my overseas expense claims rack up a lot of points on the Gold Card.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by COOLIO
No bonus for oyster or m6 toll
As I've mentioned here, you can get double points with Oyster some of the time. Top up or buy your Travelcard at a National Rail station to be sure; I also get double points sometimes for TfL spend - I think it's auto-top-ups triggered at tube stations but not buses that do it.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by teflon
As I've mentioned here, you can get double points with Oyster some of the time. Top up or buy your Travelcard at a National Rail station to be sure; I also get double points sometimes for TfL spend - I think it's auto-top-ups triggered at tube stations but not buses that do it.
I imagine it's based on the MCC of the merchant.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by stifle
I imagine it's based on the MCC of the merchant.
It is, purchases at a railway station are classified as travel, those at an underground station / DLR - Transport for London and via the website are classified as goverment
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
How about auto topups?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by stifle
How about auto topups?
I've just had a look through my last couple of months of online statements, and have discovered the following:

Auto top-ups on the tube and DLR attract double points, and show up like this:
LON UNDERGRND OYSTER TRAVLCRD AUTO, LOND
GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT
Process Date 06 Jun
GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT
Bus auto top-ups don't attract double points, and show like this:
AUTOLOAD BUS LONDON UK
GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT
Process Date 02 May
GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT
Using a ticket machine in a tube station doesn't attract double points either, and doesn't list a transaction type:
TFL (MFM) - BETHNAL GREEN
Process Date 06 Jun
(I think MFM stands for Multi Fare Machine, and is a particular type of tube ticket machine)

Other transport transactions that don't have a retailer type listed, but have been posting double points include NXEA STANSTED, the misspelt NEXA LONDON, and the also misspelt FIRST SCOTRAIL POLLOCKSHIELDS EAST.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember from somewhere that MBNA's online facility displays the MCC of anyone you purchase from. Not being an MBNA customer, I can't check. Can anyone have a look?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This thread has been very quiet for a while, which is odd. Whilst the Amex Plat deal is better in some ways, you need a £40k income to get that which you don't with the Amex Gold, which needs just £20k.

Anyway ....

Amex has quietly improved the benefits of the Preferred Gold card, although the fee has been kicked up. It is now £93 for the first year, less £60 Quidco, so £33 net for the first year. You now also get:

1. A pass for 2 visits to selected airport lounges via LOUNGE CLUB, which I assume is linked to Priority Pass

2. 7,500 bonus MR points if you spend £15,000 on the card and choose to renew it (£125 renewal fee)

Added to the existing benefits:

2 MR points per £1 on foreign spend
2 MR points per £1 on travel spend (cannot double up with foreign spend)
2 MR points per £1 on grocery and petrol spend in your first year

Plus 20,000 MR points - worth 20k BA Miles, or even more if there is another transfer promotion.

And of course you can cancel at any point for a partial fee refund, so if you cancel within 6 months you will actually have made a cash profit due to Quidco!

(Also note that there is a good referral deal on this card if you have a Plat or Gold yourself and want to refer your partner. You get 12k MR for making a referral, your partner get 22k when accepted. This is a better deal than using Quidco - you pay the full £93 but receive 34,000 points between you.)

Last edited by Raffles; Sep 20, 2011 at 4:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.