Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
The latest version (2010) of the First cabin (termed "Prime" internally by British Airways, or "New First") is available on all 4-class 777s and all 747s.

An newer evolution (2013) of the First seat (Prime+) is found on all A380s, and a newer version still (2015) is available on all 787-9s.

The older version of the First cabin (termed "Classic" internally by British Airways, or "Old First") has now been withdrawn.

747 information updated to 31 March 2016. Last change: withdrawal of G-BNLF, the last OF aircraft
Print Wikipost

Tracking NF [New First]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Good work ^
Originally Posted by TheFlyingFoodie
I’d like to thank all of you for the interesting posts in this thread. Like many of you, I have an upcoming F flight (3/8 YYZ-LHR, return 22/8) and have been monitoring to see how lucky I’ll get to be on a New First flight (too much monitoring perhaps). So here goes my first post to this thread (I will try not to make them all this long).

Thanks to Motors for getting the mental wheels spinning on what the odds are of having NF on your route. Using some of the useful tools I’ve found on this board, I think I’ve gotten a littler closer calculation for those flying on Triple Sevens (I am an analyst after all).

Thanks to Swanhunter and the Seating Queries: First thread: :-:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html

From this (with details seat maps and tail numbers), I’ve gathered that there are a total of 32 777s with F (out of a fleet of 46 777s, the remaining 14 in 3 class configuration with no F I would surmise). However, since the first one to be rolled out was G-VIIU, that is the 14 seat configuration (one of 20 777s with 14 F seats), that rules out any flights on a 17 F seat 777 (3 of those) or a 13 F seat 777 (9 of those). MMB shows my 3/8 flight is a 14 F seat 777 (so I’m in the running at least for NF, seats 2E and 2F). Unfortunately for me, MMB is showing my return flight on 8/22 is one of the old 17 seaters (not that I mind the old F, I still prefer it to AA Flagship Suites).

SpeedbirdLHR indicated that G-VIIV may now be fitted with NF. That would make sense and according to ftdashboard’s marvelous tracking tool (http://www.ftdashboard.net) ^^ you can see at a glance when one of the aircraft puts in a stop at CWL (potentially/hopefully for a refit with NF). G-VIIV was at CWL from 27/4 to 10/5 (2 weeks, long enough for a refit it would seem). That metal also is a 14 F seat config. Now, using the ftdashboard, one could extrapolate when another 777 makes a stop. G-VIIW stopped in on 18/5 and was still there on 27/5 on the ftdashboard. According to flight24.com (http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/g-viiw/) G-VIIW returned to service on 1/6 (another 2 weeks out of service, and in sequence of tail number U, V, W). Could G-VIIX be next? According to flight24.com G-VIIX now appears to be at CWL.

So, with all this sleuthing (since apparently there’s no detailed official word from BA on the roll out other than over the next two years) there may be 4 777s with new F in service by mid-June, greatly increasing all of our odds of sitting in NF. I also noted that 2 of the 20 14 F seat 777s, G-VIIA/B fly from LGW (to BDA and BGA). That could actually reduce the pool to 18 777s if BA fits out the LHR 777s first.

So, for anyone showing a 14 F seat 777 on MMB here’s my calculated odds based on the increasing number of 777s fitted or soon to be fitted (based on 20 or 18 in the pool).

1 777 – Odds between 1 in 20 and 1 in 18 (5 to 5.56%)
2 777s – Odds between 1 in 10 and 1 in 9(10 to 11.11%)
3 777s – Odds between 3 in 20 and 1 in 6 (15 to 16.67)
4 777s – Odds between 2 in 10 and 2 in 9 (20 to 22.22%)

And with every new one added after that an increase of between 5 and 5.56% (so my chances could be up to between 35 and 38.89% by early August if 7 Triple 7s with NF are on line – I’m liking that).

If anyone could confirm G-VIIW has been fitted with NF and/or if G-VIIX is currently being fitted with NF, it would help solidify the odds and projections I’ve made or help me revise them).

If you’re on a 17 or 13 F seat 777, seems your odds are 0%, at least for the foreseeable future unless they start refitting these (which of course, would alter my other projections).

As for 747s, if what I’ve read holds true, the current plan is only the one 747 for now (G-CIVF) and there are 49 active 747s so your odds remain at 1 in 49 or 2.04% as Motors indicated. Slightly better than the 17 or 13 F seat 777s.

Of course if you’re Bill Nighy or Rachel Weisz, your odds are greatly improved.

YMMV

Cheers!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 1:55 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

The other thing, TheFlyingFoodie, to add to the equation is the new 773s which will also have New First increasing everyones chances evermore!

Also, since G-CIVF is a 70J, the odds are actually 1 in 26 which is 3.85% if you're on a 70J and a big fat 0% if you're not.

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; Jun 6, 2010 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH Silver, Flying Blue Silver
Anyone recon they'll be serving NRT in August with the new FIRST?...
I'm dying to know

Tom
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:40 pm
JOF

Programs: BA Gold
New f lhr-tlv-lhr

My Dad flew new F LHR-TLV on Monday 8.55am flight. Third time that I have heard of the new F on the TLV route in recent weeks.

Strange as its a short flight.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
why would the 13seat RR aircraft be less-likely to be fitted over the 14seat aircraft?

They are essentially the same config bar the big wardrobe and the 13seaters have AVOD already...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by globalste
why would the 13seat RR aircraft be less-likely to be fitted over the 14seat aircraft?

They are essentially the same config bar the big wardrobe and the 13seaters have AVOD already...
I thought that it was to do with the pilot rest. If it has 13 seats, it still has the "big wardrobe" as you call it, or also known as the pilots rest area. However, when they are re-fitted, they are retrofitting the overhead rest module for the pilots in the crown of the aircraft. So, if it has 13 seas, it will definitely not have new F, as they will all have 14 seats...

May be totally incorrect on that one and getting my wires crossed with something to do with the 3 class 777... but I think I may be on to something though!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by JOF
My Dad flew new F LHR-TLV on Monday 8.55am flight. Third time that I have heard of the new F on the TLV route in recent weeks.

Strange as its a short flight.
The route choice is down to which aircraft is available at the time.

For example, HKG-LHR lands at around 4am. The next LHR-HKG departs around 4pm (I think). That's a 12 hour gap. You can bet that plane will not be around by 4pm... it will be up in the sky serving another route.

The TLV departure time probably matches one of the arrival US flight times, as NF is mostly on US routes. Same goes for NF being used on Dubai + Bahrain routes.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton honors Gold, Marriott Gold
My first First ... and new First!!

To add to the comments about TLV, flew there on Wednesday. My first time in First so was very excited to turn left and walk into the new First cabin! My mate thought it was hilarious that I was snapping away and grinning like a big kid.

Overall I thought the cabin looked great, very stylish indeed. The new windows are a great touch - especially when lit. I've not experienced old first, so can't compare but seat was very comfortable although there was no storage for books, laptop etc. You've got the wardrobe though which is great for hanging clothes. You can alter the height of the buddy seat, turning it into a foot rest, although you can't put it in the Z position as you can in CW. The table was very sturdy, both in half or full mode - far better than the wobbly version in CW.

Large screen was good although the quality is poor. Also the screen doesn't tilt as it does in CW so not as easy to watch when reclined.

All in all I was very impressed. Very stylish, modern and no tacky gold. Some pics below - apologies if some are a bit blurry.

Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I thought that it was to do with the pilot rest. If it has 13 seats, it still has the "big wardrobe" as you call it, or also known as the pilots rest area. However, when they are re-fitted, they are retrofitting the overhead rest module for the pilots in the crown of the aircraft. So, if it has 13 seas, it will definitely not have new F, as they will all have 14 seats...

May be totally incorrect on that one and getting my wires crossed with something to do with the 3 class 777... but I think I may be on to something though!
bet they wish they had the Etihad 777 crew rest area...

Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by globalste
bet they wish they had the Etihad 777 crew rest area...

Bloody hell! Where on the plane is that located? Swanky

I remember back in 2007 when a member of the CC showed me the 'sleeping area' in the
tail of the 747. Good grief, not for me

H
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jaylon
To add to the comments about TLV, flew there on Wednesday. My first time in First so was very excited to turn left and walk into the new First cabin! My mate thought it was hilarious that I was snapping away and grinning like a big kid.

Overall I thought the cabin looked great, very stylish indeed. The new windows are a great touch - especially when lit. I've not experienced old first, so can't compare but seat was very comfortable although there was no storage for books, laptop etc. You've got the wardrobe though which is great for hanging clothes. You can alter the height of the buddy seat, turning it into a foot rest, although you can't put it in the Z position as you can in CW. The table was very sturdy, both in half or full mode - far better than the wobbly version in CW.

Large screen was good although the quality is poor. Also the screen doesn't tilt as it does in CW so not as easy to watch when reclined.

All in all I was very impressed. Very stylish, modern and no tacky gold. Some pics below - apologies if some are a bit blurry.
Nice, thanks for posting!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jaylon

Oh god, I have a thing about fingerprints on glass, why cant the cleaners clean properly!?!

Major to having a large screen with rubbish resolution. I thought it was the screen that was the problem on AVOD, not the actual resolution being played in.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:35 am

Thanks for the pics jaylon.

Unfortunately the new cabin design does not excite me. It looks like the treatment room for my local dentist. I'd expect this for Lufthansa or Swiss, not British Airways. Very sterile, very cold.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by firstclasslad

Unfortunately the new cabin design does not excite me. It looks like the treatment room for my local dentist. I'd expect this for Lufthansa or Swiss, not British Airways. Very sterile, very cold.
New seat reminds me of a luxury car more than anything else (which I think was the intent).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by firstclasslad

i think the whole cabin together works well though - doesn't look cold - especially not with the mood lighting although i didn't see much of that on the short route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.