Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 11:49 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Barra de Tijuca.....to make yourself understood, if indeed you wish to end up at your hotel in Brazil rather than in a town in Mexico
Haha.. indeed..
I was doing some digging around on the internet and some suggestions seems to be to go up to departure level and grab a yellow taxi from there. Is this a good recommendation?

From the hotel to the airport it seems much easier to get something for a fixed price.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
If you're on a budget, it may be worth considering taking the executive bus to Alvorada, and from there it's a short cab ride to the Hilton. It could save you about 50-70 reais, as the ride normally comes to R$130 or so, depending on traffic/night rates.

For the return, you can ask reception to book a ride with Aerotaxi on 2467-1500 or 2467-7408for R$73 + toll (R$5 IIRC)
Old May 12, 2015, 5:01 am

Rafka's suggestion is good, but be aware that coming off a late night flight probably tired in a new city where few speak anything but Portuguese, anyone but the most intrepid of travelers should have instructions/locations detailed beforehand for this (and know just how late the bus runs), and also for going upstairs to get a taxi (make sure it has the cooperative name and phone number painted on the back fender) to drive a long, long way late at night. (IMO some facility in Portuguese helps a lot.)
Old May 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Rio is a city where you always have be on the alert regarding security. Don't just take any taxi in the middle of the night and disappear into thin air, as has happened to some unlucky few. For about $50 you get a comfortable and reasonably safe ride to the hotel.

http://www.aeroportogaleao.net/en/ta...aneiro-airport

Old May 12, 2015, 2:20 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by RafKa
If you're on a budget, it may be worth considering taking the executive bus to Alvorada, and from there it's a short cab ride to the Hilton. It could save you about 50-70 reais, as the ride normally comes to R$130 or so, depending on traffic/night rates.

For the return, you can ask reception to book a ride with Aerotaxi on 2467-1500 or 2467-7408for R$73 + toll (R$5 IIRC)
This would be a good idea if you were arriving during daytime hours; if you are arriving after midnight, you will risk waiting a lot for the next avaiable taxi between 1AM and 5AM.

Besides, with your choice of Hotel, you should not be looking for an economical trip: the local press is (shocked!) reporting that your Hotel is charging R$17.00 (± US$ 5.00) for a half-liter of non-carbonated water bottle ; so be prepared ...
Old May 13, 2015, 3:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Rafka's suggestion is good, but be aware that coming off a late night flight probably tired in a new city where few speak anything but Portuguese, anyone but the most intrepid of travelers should have instructions/locations detailed beforehand for this (and know just how late the bus runs), and also for going upstairs to get a taxi (make sure it has the cooperative name and phone number painted on the back fender) to drive a long, long way late at night. (IMO some facility in Portuguese helps a lot.)
Thanks all for the response.
I did find out about the bus option to the station, but that would certainly not be a choice for me. I will stick to the taxi option.
I have been to Rio (although arriving and departing during daytime).

From the discussion here (arriving around 9pm), most probably the thing I will do is pop upstairs and check if I can get a taxi there if not I will just pop back down and get a ticket from one of the authorized booth. Since there are the 3 of us, the 100 BRL should not be too much a burden. Will certainly use the suggested idea when going back to the airport. [can I not call the taxi company after arrival into GIG for pick up at the departure level - if they speak some english or spanish? is this a plausible option?]

Any other better options please do let me know.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by NPF
Besides, with your choice of Hotel, you should not be looking for an economical trip: the local press is (shocked!) reporting that your Hotel is charging R$17.00 (± US$ 5.00) for a half-liter of non-carbonated water bottle ; so be prepared ...
I guess they're counting on their guests feeling isolated in that location and too intimidated to cross the street into the favela to find a cheaper store. Some enterprising individual should set up just off the property with an isopor. :-)
Old May 13, 2015, 5:23 am

I guess they're counting on their guests feeling isolated in that location and too intimidated to cross the street into the favela to find a cheaper store. Some enterprising individual should set up just off the property with an isopor. :-)
The person just have to walk over to the mall...
Old May 13, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
The person just have to walk over to the mall...
Since this is in Barra, "The person just have to drive over to the mall..."
Old May 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Nah, my mistake (thinking of Sheraton near Vidigal, not Hilton in Barra) and C010T3 is probably right, he can walk to Shopping Metropolitano.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nldogbert

From the discussion here (arriving around 9pm), most probably the thing I will do is pop upstairs and check if I can get a taxi there if not I will just pop back down and get a ticket from one of the authorized booth. Since there are the 3 of us, the 100 BRL should not be too much a burden. Will certainly use the suggested idea when going back to the airport. [can I not call the taxi company after arrival into GIG for pick up at the departure level - if they speak some english or spanish? is this a plausible option?]

Any other better options please do let me know.
In light of this info, I would say just go to the regular taxi line outside arrivals, rather than trying to find a driver upstairs who may or may not speak English (most likely not), and would be willing to head over to the Hilton.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I took the Alvorado bus and got out just after the tunnel before Ipanema, but then I was staying at the Best Western in Ipanema, so it worked great for me. Comfortable bus, decent AC as well. I was quite happy with it and the woman in the info booth was more than happy to practice her English as I was arriving at SDU but didn't know in which direction to take the bus.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui
Rio is a city where you always have be on the alert regarding security. Don't just take any taxi in the middle of the night and disappear into thin air, as has happened to some unlucky few. For about $50 you get a comfortable and reasonably safe ride to the hotel.

http://www.aeroportogaleao.net/en/ta...aneiro-airport

[/url]
Wow this seems pretty good - If I entered everything correctly it said 123 Real from GIG to Copacabana which is right around $40 USD - which seems like a good rate. Can anyone please enlighten on how the service works - do they meet you at arrivals with a name placard? Or do you get a voucher to print and present at a booth? Seems much cheaper than the other options.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow this seems pretty good - If I entered everything correctly it said 123 Real from GIG to Copacabana which is right around $40 USD - which seems like a good rate. Can anyone please enlighten on how the service works - do they meet you at arrivals with a name placard? Or do you get a voucher to print and present at a booth? Seems much cheaper than the other options.
Regular yellow taxi (safe, with name and phone number of cooperative on back fender) from GIG to Copacabana should be about R$50-60 (depending on traffic, time of day).

Originally Posted by boboqui
Don't just take any taxi in the middle of the night and disappear into thin air, as has happened to some unlucky few.
Disappear into thin air? I wouldn't waste time worrying about the improbable. Is this an adventure film you're writing (Fast and Foolish ?) or are you the researcher for some shocker crime show? Bobo indeed.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Regular yellow taxi (safe, with name and phone number of cooperative on back fender) from GIG to Copacabana should be about R$50-60 (depending on traffic, time of day).

Disappear into thin air? I wouldn't waste time worrying about the improbable. Is this an adventure film you're writing (Fast and Foolish ?) or are you the researcher for some shocker crime show? Bobo indeed.
About point 2 I agree completely. Taxis are safe in Rio.
Pont 1, however, since the rate rise a few months ago Copacabana prices are typically around R$55 om weekdays, and about R$65 or so on nights , b holidays etc, when band 2 operates.

Taking a yellow cab from GIG is the simplest and fairly economical option, in my opinion anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.