Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 5:25 pm

Gee, I was off by U$1.62? :-)
Old May 25, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I think both airport buses and taxis are safe and OK.

Buses from GIG (they stop at multiple places):
Line 2018 to Barra da Tijuca (Alvorada) via zona sul 15R$
Line 2918 to Barra da Tijuca (Alvorada) via Linha Amarela 15R$
Line 2145 to airport Santos Dumont via centro 13R$
Line 2101 to airport express to SDU 13R$ (not sure if this exists, I have taken line 2145)

Taxis are allowed to use the higher rate "2" on Sundays and holidays.
Should be 60R$ or more to Copacabana/Ipanema
Old May 25, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Gee, I was off by U$1.62? :-)

Sorry for being too precise. I spend too much time going GIG to Avenida Barata Ribeiro, I guess.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca

Sorry for being too precise. I spend too much time going GIG to Avenida Barata Ribeiro, I guess.
Rua Barata Ribeiro, to be precise!
Old May 26, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by boboqui
Rua Barata Ribeiro, to be precise!
it is not as though I have been going there for the last 35 years or anything. 'Course we rarely say Rua or Agenda in street names anyway, but that is no excuse for my slothfulness.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:38 pm

it is not as though I have been going there for the last 35 years or anything.
I used to shop for flowers for my grandmother at the Flora Santa Clara since I was a boy. Good times gone by!
The beautiful fragrant store is still there!

Old May 28, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
I used to shop for flowers for my grandmother at the Flora Santa Clara since I was a boy. Good times gone by!
The beautiful fragrant store is still there!

We have been buying flowers there also for as long as i remember. In fact i will be going there later today to buy flowers for my mother-in-laws 91st birthday today. She is doing well. I may be biased because she has been my strongest supporter for decades. We'll be taking her to Rubaiyat, in the Jockey Club, to celebrate. We cannot stay in Copacabana all the time, can we?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:13 pm

We cannot stay in Copacabana all the time, can we?
No, you might get mugged.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
No, you might get mugged.
Copacabana is remarkably safe, statistically speaking, when considering the vary large population of very old people who are often targets. Check the statistics, you'll be surprised.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Copacabana is remarkably safe, statistically speaking, when considering the vary large population of very old people who are often targets. Check the statistics, you'll be surprised.
I couldn't agree more. Why the off-topic, and alarmist, snippet from the previous poster?

Last edited by marcos123; May 30, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Back on topic, I wanted to add here that I really like these buses. Air cond + WiFi and more space make them much more better than taxi. And last time the driver drove like crazy, about 50 mins from Copacabana to GIG through all city stops (I know it could take 2 hours during bad hours)

Originally Posted by FFlash
I think both airport buses and taxis are safe and OK.

Buses from GIG (they stop at multiple places):
Line 2018 to Barra da Tijuca (Alvorada) via zona sul 15R$
Line 2918 to Barra da Tijuca (Alvorada) via Linha Amarela 15R$
Line 2145 to airport Santos Dumont via centro 13R$
Line 2101 to airport express to SDU 13R$ (not sure if this exists, I have taken line 2145)

Taxis are allowed to use the higher rate "2" on Sundays and holidays.
Should be 60R$ or more to Copacabana/Ipanema
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
sorry to jump in but im visiting for a few days and want to go to foz as well so trying to work out what times for the flight..
will getting into rio on the bus from gig on a monday morning at around 9am be very tough?
also,going back to the airport i hear it is hard to get the buses ,where is the best place to stand for them?

just to add with the flight times i will be going into rio and back twice -fri morning around 10am and back to airport around 2pm on sat
then in on mon morn around 9am and back around 5pm-what times am i looking at with the bus ..?
trying to save money but would a yellow taxi be much shorter time wise?

Last edited by bryanwallace; Jun 3, 2015 at 1:15 am
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I noticed that Uber is available in Rio, any experience using it?

I will be arriving and departing rather late at night (both after 9 pm) at GIG. Need to get to my hotel in the Lapa area.
The last time I was in GIG, it was daytime, so just used the airport bus which was fine, but for nighttime, I prefer to play safe.

Aerotaxi both ways? (should not be too expensive as there are the 3 of us).

Cheers!
Uber does not allow pickups at GIG airport. Also, only uberBLACK is available which is close to the price of a regular yellow taxi - but you may get a nicer car and the convenience of the Uber app.

I'm also looking for info on the way back, connecting through Carvalho station. I took the 2018 bus on the way in, and it goes through a standstill as it weaves through the city. It seems to me the best way to do it cheaply is to take something out of centro and the connect to a straight bus line (the Carvalho option would be great if it works, but still looking for more info...)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:22 am

.................................................. ....................

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jun 17, 2015 at 1:13 pm Reason: better info elsewhere
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just wanted to report back that cootramo worked out pretty well for us. Pre-booked prior to arrival in Rio and proceeded outside with a printout of the confirmation email. The driver was clueless and spoke zero English, but eventually figured out that it was a web order and that he should start driving. It was funny though, when we found him he opened his trunk and motioned for us to load our bags ourselves - welcome to Rio! At least we made it to our hotel safely and with all our belongings so we can't complain.

Took another chance on cootramo for the return to the airport and this time the experience was far better. Driver was ontime and even came to the lobby to get our bags (it was raining outside). He spoke a little English and already had the web order number so it was easy as pie.

I'm sure a yellow cab would've worked fine but it was nice to pay via CC and not worry about finding an ATM (harder than I expected) or getting a horrible exchange rate from banco safra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.