FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/776608-airport-transportation-rio-de-janeiro.html)

card1953 Jan 8, 2008 10:26 am

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

I suspect there's an existing thread on this subject, but I tried a search and couldn't find one.
What would be my best option for transportation from GIG to the Sheraton Rio on Avenida Niemeyer? I'm arriving on 2/16/08 on AA flight #905 at 10:40 am.
I emailed the Sheraton, and was offered an executive car for US$85.00! That seems unbelievably expensive.
Again, sorry if there's already a thread on this subject. Thanks for any help.

dogmom11 Jan 8, 2008 10:36 am

Hi--we were just there last month and used one of the airport buses/vans both to and from the airport. There are signs on the curb, but you can ask someone at the information booths to point you in the right direction. The bus (large, air conditioned, comfy) is approx. $8/person and makes a number of stops in Copacabana and Ipanema before going up the hill to the Sheraton. Bus drivers know where the Sheraton is and there's a bus stop almost in front (you'll have the cross the busy street, but it's not a problem unless you have lots of luggage). You can also take a van (I think around $15/person) that offers a more direct route. (Definitely do this if you arrive during rush hour.) We did this going back to the airport and were the only ones on (both times), so it went directly to the airport (much shorter, the route goes through a tunnel that bypasses downtown + the beaches) and was a real bargain vs. a car service.

Have a great time in Rio! Here's a little blog piece w/photos about some of the street art/murals...the 'crews' were painting a new one on Ave. Niemeyer close to the Sheraton when we were there--it will be on your right hand side as you go up the hill to Sheraton, so when you see it, start getting ready to jump off:

http://dogmom11.typepad.com/dogmoms_...ti--anoth.html

card1953 Jan 8, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks

Thanks for all the helpful info!

oiRRio Jan 8, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by card1953 (Post 9028225)
Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro.

3 main options

1) Radio Cab
Use one of the 3 radio taxi companies (Transcoopass, Cootrama etc) located slightly to the left as you exit from customs. Will be a fixed fare to the hotel payable in advance (by CC if so desired). Not sure how much to the Sheraton but likely in the R$70-80 range.

2) Regular Yellow Cab
Loads waiting outside the door after you exit customs. Depends on traffic/route taken but should be in the R$50-60 range.

3) Real Ônibus
This presumably is the bus referred to above. Cost R$6. Bus has a/c, luggage is tagged so comfortable and safe. The main drawback is that it goes to Centro, the domestic Santos Dumont airport then onto Copa, Ipanema, Leblon so takes a while. Even with the lighter traffic on a Sat may take an hour or so. Also I'm not 100% sure it goes as far as the Sheraton so doublecheck before boarding. This routing would appear to show that it does but the price is definitely not the R$3.70 listed. http://www.rioonibus.com/guia_de_iti...mero=2018&ts=A

So yes, US$85 is awfully expensive. :)

StevePER Jan 8, 2008 3:42 pm

We stayed at the Intercontinental and they booked us a shuttle bus for R$10 each. We were the only people in the bus so it was like having a taxi but for a fraction of the price. Maybe the Sheraton could organise something like this also?

3544quebec Jan 9, 2008 9:00 am

www.shuttlerio.com.br

card1953 Jan 9, 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec (Post 9034907)

Great website. Thanks to all for the information.

card1953 Jan 11, 2008 11:04 am

A further question about Suttle Rio

I'm wondering if anyone who has actually used this service, and/or anyone who has actually flown into GIG on AA flight #905 MIA-GIG, could comment on the following question: The flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:35 am. Is there any way I can then make the 11:00 am departure of Shuttle Rio (I won't be checking bags), or would I have to wait till the 12:00 pm departure? Also, if I reserved a seat on the 11:00 am departure, and I don't make it, would the driver let me take the 12:00 pm bus?
Thanks for any help.

Hayvenhurst Jan 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by card1953 (Post 9049670)
I'm wondering if anyone who has actually used this service, and/or anyone who has actually flown into GIG on AA flight #905 MIA-GIG, could comment on the following question: The flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:35 am. Is there any way I can then make the 11:00 am departure of Shuttle Rio (I won't be checking bags), or would I have to wait till the 12:00 pm departure?

Even if your flight arrives on time it often takes more than 25 minutes for all passengers to get off of the plane and go through passport control. You should plan on taking a later bus.

card1953 Jan 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst (Post 9050661)
Even if your flight arrives on time it often takes more than 25 minutes for all passengers to get off of the plane and go through passport control. You should plan on taking a later bus.

Thanks--that's what I figured.

Koby Jan 12, 2008 11:21 am

Originally Posted by card1953 (Post 9049670)
Is there any way I can then make the 11:00 am departure of Shuttle Rio (I won't be checking bags), or would I have to wait till the 12:00 pm departure? Also, if I reserved a seat on the 11:00 am departure, and I don't make it, would the driver let me take the 12:00 pm bus?

Avoid the decision (and the 1 hour waiting time if you’re unlucky) and go for option #1 offered by oiRRio (the Radio Cab). I remember planning on taking a bus when I first came to Rio and was talked out of it by a fellow traveler. (He told me about the Radio Cab system.) I’ve been taking them ever since on arrival in GIG. It’s easy and safe (you pay upfront in the airport) and cheap by “World” standards.

Just imagining having to reserve a seat on the bus even before arrival already makes me... :rolleyes:

oiRRio Jan 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 9055540)
Avoid the decision (and the 1 hour waiting time if you’re unlucky) and go for option #1 offered by oiRRio (the Radio Cab). I remember planning on taking a bus when I first came to Rio and was talked out of it by a fellow traveler. (He told me about the Radio Cab system.) I’ve been taking them ever since on arrival in GIG. It’s easy and safe (you pay upfront in the airport) and cheap by “World” standards.

Definitely the Radio cab is the safest, most convenient option.

However cost may be a factor for some particularly with the stronger Real against the US$. The R$60 or so saved is almost enough for a night out in Rio. ;) I think the shuttle suggested might work out well for the OP as it appears to go to his hotel before the ones in Copa. The potential hour's delay is a drawback and one reason I wouldn't reserve the bus in advance (no need to IMO). The OP should either kill some time in Duty Free on arrival or take the Real bus/taxi if they emerge just after the hour.

card1953 Jan 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks--I actually made an online reservation for Shuttle Rio, but have yet to receive a confirmation by email. Also, I haven't made a payment yet. I think I'll see what happens when I get there, and probably take a Radio cab unless the timing works out for the bus.

3544quebec Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

I've used ShuttleRio and the service is fine. The Real Onibus service is also hassle-free if a bit lengthy. It leaves every 20-30 mins from outside International Arrivals and they have a little office/waiting room next to the car rental counters. The dispatch people/drivers I've found to be universally friendly and helpful (but that goes for pretty much every Carioca you will meet!). The bus stops directly opposite the Sheraton Rio - you just have to cross Avenida Niemeyer and step inside. It takes about 1hr 30 mins as opposed to 40 mins for a taxi and 1 hour for the shuttle. But along the way you pass through central Rio with glimpses of some great architecture and then pass all the way along the Copacabana/Ipanema/Leblon beachfronts - its well worth the delay for such a scenic introduction to Rio.

The one caveat for the bus service is that if you arrive during the morning traffic peak A. Niemeyer becomes one-way going the other direction than how the bus from the airport runs. I'm not exactly sure how they deal with this - do they go from Leblon to the Intercontinental via Gavea missing the Sheraton or do they loop back along A. Niemeyer

jaimemayo Jan 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Yes; use the radio taxis. The desk is right after you exit customs and there are several to choose from. BTW, it is customary to give the boy who puts your luggage in the taxi R$5. It's no big deal to put luggage into a taxi but that's hardly anything for us but means a lot to the boys. They are always most appreciative.

I would not do the round-trip ticket option. It is so much easier to just walk out the door to a taxi rather than have the front desk call the particular taxi company noted on the ticket and then wait for it.