Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
The driver put the meter on and I was astounded that jbcarioca's quote was spot on (not because I usually doubt his veracity but because I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there).
That's weird as I find Rio cabbies to be very good. In 10+ years I've only had two incidents of a meter running fast. In fact I had more trouble with cabbies in Bs As in one weekend on the last Cow Do than in the last 5 years in Rio.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
. ...because I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there)...
It has always surprised me that I have never, ever had a bad meter in Rio. I have had bad experiences in other cities in the world, but never Rio. There is quite good discipline these days with quite a few 'blitzes' of taxi inspections. Oddly, I have been in false cabs a few times, but even they have not overcharged. Many people are confused by the nighttime tariff 2 (daytime 1) and the rates increase cards are a bother. When rates are increased teh taxi meters show the old fare and use a fare adjustment cards until they are updated. The meter updates take place during annual inspections, so the entire fleet takes a year to complete. Sometimes a driver will allegedly try to use the fare adjustment card when his meter has already been updated. if that happens the fare will be about 12% higher than it should be.

BTW, when using taxi is Rio do not leave a large tip, just round up to the next real. If you have lots of luggage there is an extra charge too.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
..... I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there...
Not ganging up 3544quebec, honest! But my experience of airport taxis from GIG or SDU have been totally positive. So far,,, (and, yes, I am touching wood ). I avoid the touts and see no point in paying over the odds for the "peace of mind" option.

Taxis from my other regular airport destination, Lisbon, can be a pain in the arse with broken meters, attitude and creative cheating.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Many people are confused by the nighttime tariff 2 (daytime 1) and the rates increase cards are a bother.
Just to clarify the nighttime tariff 2 applies from 9pm to 6am. Also applies all day on Sundays and holidays as well as the month of December in case people think they're being ripped off.

One other tip, it's generally better to hail (moving) cabs in the street rather than cabs waiting at a taxi stop. IME the latter are more likely to want to go sem taxímetro i.e for a given price rather than using the meter.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not ganging up 3544quebec, honest!
That's OK, I have broad shoulders

And to be honest when I say that I have been burnt so often I am only speaking of a sample size of 2. But I take taxis so rarely anywhere that experiences like my last one in Rio 2 years ago where the meter rose faster than the Dow Jones was falling last week and for a middle of the day trip in a taxi comun on a weekday in August finished at R68 from SDU to Sao Conrado - and that was 2 years ago (or did I already say that)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:10 am

did transfer cost go up a lot in the last few months ?

I was trying to book a transfer from GIG to Copacabana and what was R$90 few months ago seems to be R$150 now. I'm looking at a private car from Rio Airport Transfers. 2 people in the car. should I just forget it and try to get a Radio Taxi when we get there ? arriving in the middle of the night at 1:30am.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:22 am

The "nighttime tariff" (Zona 2; appears on the meter) may also apply during certain holiday periods on all days (it does in Fortaleza). The only trouble I have ever had with taxi meters in Rio is a driver refusing to use the meter, wanting to charge me a flat rate. I'd be interested to know what someone who refuses to use taxis does. Just Metro (it is a good system but doesn't go everywhere)? Private car service? Hardly practical if you quickly need to get from point a to point b and don't have time to arrange that service in advance. I've been in Brazil for years. Few problems with taxis. Always a good idea to know your route in general so you know you're not being taken on an extra long route, but that applies in the U.S., as well.

If someone is wary of meters, they can use the flat rate "radio" taxis at least from the airports and some other points. The total rate will be higher but you know in advance exactly what the fare will be.

Tipping: I don't know why the warning NOT to tip. It's not necessary, not expected, but if you do it'll be appreciated. And I've have drivers round a fare down when they didn't have change. The drivers make far less than any of us do. If you feel like tipping, go for it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'd did Shuttle Rio a few weeks ago and it frustrating to try to change times on the return. It was pouring rain the day we left so we wanted to head the airport earlier. We had to go back and forth with emails and after about two hours told there was nothing available. However, you don't pay upfront as you do with other van services.

Also on the way to Ipanema the first drop off was at the Sheraton in Barra. Rather than drive down the coastal highway to Barra the driver took very congested streets through Leblon. It took forever, I'd thought I go nuts.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'd did Shuttle Rio a few weeks ago and it frustrating to try to change times on the return. It was pouring rain the day we left so we wanted to head the airport earlier. We had to go back and forth with emails and after about two hours told there was nothing available. However, you don't pay upfront as you do with other van services.

Also on the way to Ipanema the first drop off was at the Sheraton in Barra. Rather than drive down the coastal highway to Barra the driver took very congested streets through Leblon. It took forever, I'd thought I go nuts.
Having been a strong advocate of ShuttleRio on FT I have to say I had a poor experience on my last trip a month ago. I had booked a seat on the 7pm service to GIG and at 5pm they rang the concierge at the Sheraton Rio to say that because of traffic congestion they were cancelling the service - no alternatives offered and of course since at that late hour I had already checked out of the hotel the Concierge had no way of contacting me. I actually had plenty of time and just hopped on the Real Onibus service outside the hotel but that routinely takes 2 hours. I was not pleased.

I am perplexed by your trip to Ipanema - are you saying that the driver drove through the Zona Sul through Leblon (right next to Ipanema) and down through Sao Conrado to Barra before returning to drop you off at Ipanema? Normally there is one shuttle service to Copa/Ipanema/Leblon/Sheraton Rio/Sao Conrado and a different service to the hotels in Barra.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jacek8k
I was trying to book a transfer from GIG to Copacabana and what was R$90 few months ago seems to be R$150 now. I'm looking at a private car from Rio Airport Transfers. 2 people in the car. should I just forget it and try to get a Radio Taxi when we get there ? arriving in the middle of the night at 1:30am.
I also booked a transportation from Salvador airport to the hotel. It used to be R$50 but it is now R$99. What is going on ? Somebody on the forum said that extra charges apply in December, but double ?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Having been a strong advocate of ShuttleRio on FT I have to say I had a poor experience on my last trip a month ago. I had booked a seat on the 7pm service to GIG and at 5pm they rang the concierge at the Sheraton Rio to say that because of traffic congestion they were cancelling the service - no alternatives offered and of course since at that late hour I had already checked out of the hotel the Concierge had no way of contacting me. I actually had plenty of time and just hopped on the Real Onibus service outside the hotel but that routinely takes 2 hours. I was not pleased.

I am perplexed by your trip to Ipanema - are you saying that the driver drove through the Zona Sul through Leblon (right next to Ipanema) and down through Sao Conrado to Barra before returning to drop you off at Ipanema? Normally there is one shuttle service to Copa/Ipanema/Leblon/Sheraton Rio/Sao Conrado and a different service to the hotels in Barra.
Yep, exactly. I was going bonkers. I must have seen every inch of Leblon as we kept going down crowded and sometimes blocked side streets. There was also an additional pax that was going to the Copa. Shuttle Rio seemed to be shorthanded that day. The driver showed up 20 minutes late (just as we were walking outside for a taxi) and there was only one van.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:44 am

Email from ShuttleRio - Proof Reader fluent in English needed

Dear clients and partners,

We thank to all for the comprehension in the difficulties which we passed through in the last few days as function of our office being located in the region neighboring the buildings that collapsed in the center of Rio de Janeiro and, therefore, to have our building interdicted by the Civil Defense, causing us several troubles.

Your support and cooperation were essential to follow our routine and we have to do a special thanks to the hotels registered in the system Shuttle, by participating form and solidary that treated our business, always available to help us.

To all our friends, partners and users, that have prestigious us and indicated to and friends, we inform you that as of today we return to operate normally.

If all situations, even the bad ones, we can see a good side, that this moment has shown us how we won the friendship and collegiality, making clear we have formed a great team.

Thank you!

SHUTTLE RIO
I hope they get back on their feet (wheels)
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there a place to store baggage safely at GIG? I will be flying in one morning and want to head to Leblon or Copacabana for lunch and then return to GIG for an evening flight. Is there a cheap bus or shuttle that is currently operating that someone can recommend?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:04 pm

There are no lockers. Last time I used the baggage storage office was about 2 or 3 years ago, you hand over the baggage and get a ticket. I can't say it's safe, but my stuff was not stolen. If I were you I'd buy travel insurance and take pictures as a precaution.

As far as transportation to Ipanema or Leblon (forget Copacabana), I'd recommend http://shuttlerio.com.br/home/en/ . There is also a regular bus but it makes a million stops and takes forever.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
As far as transportation to Ipanema or Leblon (forget Copacabana), I'd recommend http://shuttlerio.com.br/home/en/ . There is also a regular bus but it makes a million stops and takes forever.
For to/from GIG I'd assume http://www.realautoonibus.com.br/Sit...115236-71.html is a better option. Bus 2018 for R$12 each way. Take note that it doesn't run late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.