Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:17 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
BTW, it is customary to give the boy who puts your luggage in the taxi R$5.
News to me. Since when did this become customary in Brazil?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
This is a normal tip for those that handle bags in the airport. Of course, it is an optional tip, but as mentioned, most welcomed by the baggage boys.

Rgs,
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AAEXP
News to me. Since when did this become customary in Brazil?
News to me as well. Sometimes if I've a couple of Reais handy from my previous trip I may give them to him unless he sticks the hand out and asks for a "chip". But to say it's customary to give R$5 as if that's the expected amount is misleading IMO.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hardiwv
This is a normal tip for those that handle bags in the airport. Of course, it is an optional tip, but as mentioned, most welcomed by the baggage boys.

Rgs,
First of all, it would be helpful if we could define who the luggage "boys" are?

If you are referring to the people, employees of the taxi companies that direct customers to their taxi outside, there is no need to tip, even though it is of course fine if you want to. BTW you should not let anyone show you to a taxi, except if they have been directed to help you by the desk where you bought your pre-paid fare coupon.

If we are talking about the "official" luggage porters (in grey blue uniforms with airport issued (?) ID cards), they have standard charges for their service and will let you know if they think you have paid too little. These guys earn most of their pay by transacting illegal exchange of foreign currency into reais and are part of an airport mafia, which everyone should try to avoid helping. If you deal with these guys you are at your own risk.

If we are talking about others, this is a major risk. The authorities are trying to ban shooshine boys and others who invade the airport to take advantage of less experienced travelers. Stay away.

The tipping culture in Brazil is vastly different from the US. But I admit that US travelers are doing a good job of changing this. 5$ tip in Brazil is a lot of money (the minimum monthly salary is R$ 380) and I still have no idea why this is being presented as a standard tip amount by others in this thread?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:41 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by AAEXP
The tipping culture in Brazil is vastly different from the US. But I admit that US travelers are doing a good job of changing this. 5$ tip in Brazil is a lot of money (the minimum monthly salary is R$ 380) and I still have no idea why this is being presented as a standard tip amount by others in this thread?
I too am very confused of why some Americans, especially on FT, are consistently trying to promote US tipping practices outside of the US. This can lead to nothing else than to a growth of the grey and black economy and a deterioration of morale and overall service levels.

Luckily the US dollar is soon so weak that travel to the US may be attractive even despite the endless tipping requirements.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the Sheraton suggested a car service costing US$ 85.00, even though there are multiple transportation options costing less than R$80.00 (and some cost much less).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:49 pm

Rio transport

You might take a look at www.viator.com. I have used them in cities around the world most recently in Hanoi where I was greeted by a gentleman with a sign bearing my name. I feel extremely comfortable with this service being a single traveler. Cost is prepaid by credit card.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Used the Rio shuttle the other day.
Had the conceirge at the Sheration Rio book it.
Took the 7pm for a 11pm dep.
Left plenty of time for checkin.
Great deal and highly recomend for the 10 reas.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Rio Shuttles with Wheelchair access?

I notice there is mention of several different bus and shuttle options from GIG to Rio. Has anyone noticed if any of the vans or buses are equipped for wheelchair access? I assume the is a wheelchair transport service available, but was wondering if any of the more mainstream companies had the wheelchair lifts installed on the general use vans/buses.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
I notice there is mention of several different bus and shuttle options from GIG to Rio. Has anyone noticed if any of the vans or buses are equipped for wheelchair access? I assume the is a wheelchair transport service available, but was wondering if any of the more mainstream companies had the wheelchair lifts installed on the general use vans/buses.

Thanks.
The Real Ônibus I mentioned is definitely not wheelchair friendly. It's difficult enough to access with a carry on as it has a triple pronged turnstile just behind the driver to count pax. Same goes for regular buses which have very steep steps to board/disembark and turnstiles.

In general I can't imagine Rio being particularly wheelchair friendly. The one part that would IMO be relatively comfortable would be the cycle path that would enable a person to get up and down Copa and Ipanema beaches.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
The shuttle bus that the Intercontinental organised for us was not wheelchair accessible.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Thanks for the replies. I know wheelchair accessible transport exists, just wondered how mainstream it was. I'll continue the quest.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Real Onibus

Traveling to GIG in January - landing at 10:30pm. Anyone know how late the Real Onibus runs? Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by leishmaniac
Traveling to GIG in January - landing at 10:30pm. Anyone know how late the Real Onibus runs? Thanks.
According to a friend that has just got information about it, this bus runs from 6:30am to 11:30pm (GIG departure time). Are you arriving from a domestic or from an international flight?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Curvelo
According to a friend that has just got information about it, this bus runs from 6:30am to 11:30pm (GIG departure time). Are you arriving from a domestic or from an international flight?
Thanks. Flying JFK-GRU (I have 1 hr 15 min layover - is that where I'll go through customs?), then onto GIG. I'll be cutting it close to catch the 11:30, I imagine, though I won't have any checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.