Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, AA, Worldperks, Asiamiles, BA Miles
Originally Posted by leishmaniac
Thanks. Flying JFK-GRU (I have 1 hr 15 min layover - is that where I'll go through customs?), then onto GIG. I'll be cutting it close to catch the 11:30, I imagine, though I won't have any checked bags.
You usually go through customs in GIG if you are on United or other flights flying on wards from overseas via GRU. If you actually change planes/flight numbers you would go through customs in GRU.

Although I wouldn't have any qualms catching either the bus or shuttle to / from the airport during the day, I would be weary if it's your first time in Rio to do it at night. I would suggest at the very least the radio taxi who will take you door to door. Think of it, you will arrive at your hotel well after midnight. Save your money on the return trip to the airport.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Thanks. Flying JFK-GRU (I have 1 hr 15 min layover - is that where I'll go through customs?), then onto GIG. I'll be cutting it close to catch the 11:30, I imagine, though I won't have any checked bags.

You will not clear customs until GIG (it appears that you are flying AA). You should be able to clear customs quite quickly at GIG. I have noticied on my recent MIA and JFK flights to GIG that most of the pax have been Brazilians. The buses to/from the airport are very slow and sometimes not very reliable. The cabs are set fares depending upon your destination in Rio (for example Ipanema is from 65 R$ to 80R$).
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You will not clear customs until GIG (it appears that you are flying AA). You should be able to clear customs quite quickly at GIG. I have noticied on my recent MIA and JFK flights to GIG that most of the pax have been Brazilians. The buses to/from the airport are very slow and sometimes not very reliable. The cabs are set fares depending upon your destination in Rio (for example Ipanema is from 65 R$ to 80R$).
Thanks everyone for their input. I'm on one TAM flight JFK to GRU, then separate TAM flight from GRU to GIG. Are US passport holders still herded into a separate customs line like they used to? (I'm Canadian but wife is American)
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:00 pm

Are US passport holders still herded into a separate customs line like they used to? (I'm Canadian but wife is American)
I have no recent info on GRU, but in GIG last weekend there were only two lines, one for Brazilians and permanent residents, other for visitors. There are signs about a third line for Mercosul citizens, but I have never seen such a line actually in use. Foreign passengers arriving from EZE on an AR flight were being directed to the visitors line.

Update: I assume you mean immigration lines, not the actually customs lines that you go through after clearing immigration and collecting your bags.

Last edited by Curvelo; Nov 4, 2009 at 3:03 pm Reason: Clarification about immigration vs. customs.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are the shuttle bus options safe after dark?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Used the Rio shuttle the other day.
Had the conceirge at the Sheration Rio book it.
Took the 7pm for a 11pm dep.
Left plenty of time for checkin.
Great deal and highly recomend for the 10 reas.
Does anyone know what the current rate for this is from GIG to the Sheraton Rio, or should I just contact the hotel?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:23 pm

http://shuttlerio.com.br/home/

15 Reais
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I did not realize this service existed. Much cheaper than a cab from GIG
($99,00 Reais, $70 on the way to GIG). Is this service reliable. Also, if I'm not staying at one of the hotels listed but staying nearby (in this case close to Ipanema Plaza) can I get off at/picked up at Ipanema Plaza and just walk the few blocks to/from my hotel.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
($99,00 Reais, $70 on the way to GIG).
Do you use radio cabs to/from the airport or regular yellow ones? Last couple of trips to GIG have been a couple of R$ either side of R$45 from the midle of Copa depending on traffic. Even allowing for the recent meter adjustment which works out about at about an extra 10% those fares seem high.

On the way from GIG I often use the Real Onibus (R$8) as I usually arrive on Saturdays. Very regular, comfortable and air conditioned and allows me to ease into the holiday after the flight. However during the week it can get bogged down in Centro traffic and take too long.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Also, if I'm not staying at one of the hotels listed but staying nearby (in this case close to Ipanema Plaza) can I get off at/picked up at Ipanema Plaza and just walk the few blocks to/from my hotel.
I've used the service a couple of times, and the driver was happy to drop me off where I asked on one of the trips in from GIG. That might not be so easy for a pick-up though! It is a good idea to confirm pick-up times on the day.

It's certainly a good deal for single travellers - with exchange rate, "adjustments" and inflation working against value for tourists in Brasil, taxi fares are getting silly. GRU to Jardins last week was an uncomfortable $70+.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's certainly a good deal for single travellers - with exchange rate, "adjustments" and inflation working against value for tourists in Brasil, taxi fares are getting silly. GRU to Jardins last week was an uncomfortable $70+.
Tell me about it, Itaim Bibi to GRU cost me R$120 last month. To fly from SDU to CGH the previous day only cost me R$80. Maybe they need to set up a CGH-GRU shuttle.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I pay R$45-50 to go from GIG to Alto Jardim Botanico these days. I always use the yellow cabs. I took a taxi from Copacabana (posto 3- near Copacabana palace hotel) to GIG last week which cost me R$40. Sheraton Leblon should not cost more than R$55, and usually much less.

The Shuttle Rio seems like a perfect option for a single traveler or one with budget constraints. On weekends it really does not take much longer either.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:05 pm

I had booked Shuttle Rio yesterday for my trip from the Sheraton Leblon to GIG at 9.45am. The pick-up was delayed and they ended up getting the hotel to pay for a yellow taxi to take me to GIG. Being towards the end of peakhour the traffic was still fairly heavy. The driver put the meter on and I was astounded that jbcarioca's quote was spot on (not because I usually doubt his veracity but because I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there). The meter ticked up to R45 just as we pulled into Terminal 1.
At that price I would be happy to take a cab every time but always go with Real Onibus from the airport and ShuttleRio to the airport as I know that at least I won't be ripped off (well at least no more than the R1 change due from my 10 real note that the bus driver usually can't find when I board - note price of the bus has now risen to R9 : that's Brasilian inflation for you, an 80% increase in 5 years)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I had booked Shuttle Rio yesterday for my trip from the Sheraton Leblon to GIG at 9.45am. The pick-up was delayed and they ended up getting the hotel to pay for a yellow taxi to take me to GIG. Being towards the end of peakhour the traffic was still fairly heavy. The driver put the meter on and I was astounded that jbcarioca's quote was spot on (not because I usually doubt his veracity but because I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there). The meter ticked up to R45 just as we pulled into Terminal 1.
At that price I would be happy to take a cab every time but always go with Real Onibus from the airport and ShuttleRio to the airport as I know that at least I won't be ripped off (well at least no more than the R1 change due from my 10 real note that the bus driver usually can't find when I board - note price of the bus has now risen to R9 : that's Brasilian inflation for you, an 80% increase in 5 years)
Yeah, the Brasilian inflation is really getting out of hand. God even the coconuts have gone to $R5. But even $R45 to the airport is good. Last time I paid $R75 for a private car arranged from the hotel but I think I'll try the Shuttle service when I go back in November.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:40 pm

Yeah, the Brasilian inflation is really getting out of hand. God even the coconuts have gone to $R5.
Only R1.50 on the beachfront in Salvador (or R10 for a lovely bunch of 10 )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.