Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
In both cases, it took me about 2.5 hours. The entire port area is a massive construction zone, with streets closed off and traffic at a standstill. On the way down, it took probably an hour to go from the big bus station in the Zona Norte to Candelaria. On the way back, it was about the same time to get from Santos Dumont to Candelaria. Also, on Thursday afternoon the traffic on the highway to the airport was jam-packed from Sao Cristovao to almost the end of the journey.

If you take the bus, just be aware to leave yourself plenty of extra time to make sure you don't miss your flight!
I was considerating the bus only when arriving in Rio. Considering I'll leave the airport at 6am aprox.. it will be 2.5 hours?? In that case I'd dismiss the idea, it's too much and after a 5 hours red-eye flight, a 2 hours bus ride is not what I wish; one hour I can stand, but no more.

My departure from Rio it's a 5:52am so I have to be at the airport between 3am and 4am, the bus was not my choice of course.

Originally Posted by 1k650
If you are an obvious looking gringo, I would not walk in the dark in that area. Better safe than sorry.
Not so gringo, mix of caucasian with hispanic. But the baggage will reveal I'm a traveler anyway. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Not so long ago, it was the other way around. :-) Now it's the Brazilians who can afford to go to Miami to go shopping and the gringos who are finding Brazil very expensive.
Not too long ago, Brazilians did not go through passport control. It was just necessary to show the passport cover. Sometimes, they checked the photos, but that was it.
That's why the lines were short.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:49 pm

As I recall, there were usually only a dozen or less Brazilians on any flight I took into Rio, S.P. or Salvador, vs. several hundred non-Brazilians (times however many international planes landed at about the same time, all in the same single line, with maybe only 3 slowly moving passport control stations to be directed to from the front). At the time, the dollar bought between 2.5 and almost 4 reais, so Brazilians did not have the buying power, to travel to Miami to shop for example, that a better economy and stronger real has brought them, but earners in dollars were travelling to Brazil in droves. That's why the lines were short. But, yes, now most new Brazilian passports have a chip embedded that can be checked.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:27 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by C010T3
Until 10AM Av. Atlântica is dedicated to downtown traffic. .
Are Vieira Souto & Delfim Moreira also dedicated to downtown (one way) before 10am?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Villavic
Are Vieira Souto & Delfim Moreira also dedicated to downtown (one way) before 10am?

Thanks
Yes, Av. Niemeyer and Av. Prefeito Mendes de Morais as well.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:17 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Villavic
I was considerating the bus only when arriving in Rio. Considering I'll leave the airport at 6am aprox.. it will be 2.5 hours?? In that case I'd dismiss the idea, it's too much and after a 5 hours red-eye flight, a 2 hours bus ride is not what I wish; one hour I can stand, but no more.
At the time of your arrival, transit will very light and, as there will be probably a few people on the bus (meaning less stops on the way) you will be in Copacabana in less than an hour.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 pm

Can anyone one confirm the better shuttle service in Rio for round trip airport transfer...It will be a group of 6.

http://www.rioairporttransfer.com/

http://www.greenpathtransfers.com/

Also, I am looking for the current Radio Taxi stands open at GIG. Will there be any discount for booking two radio taxis for my group of 6? What will the estimated cost be for 2 radio taxis for my group?

We are looking for GIG to Ipanema round trip.

Thanks for you help and advice!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one either, hopefully someone can shed some light.

Arriving at SDU, I'm planning on taking bus 2018 to my hotel (BW August's Rio Copa) just past the tunnel on the way to Copacabana.

But leaving the same hotel on a Monday morning (flight departs domestic at 15:00) going to GIG, how early should I leave? I'm thinking Taxi will be best, I'll ask the front desk to call since I don't speak Portuguese. I've read horror stories about the traffic, so I'm thinking leave at like 10:00am because I'll have a bag to check. Is that way too early? Not early enough? I don't mind hanging out at GIG so I can check out the airport so if I'm early I'm not too worried, I just don't wanna be pushing it cuz I gotta catch that flight to GRU to catch my onward flight to the US (I've given myself a lengthy connection time, cuz it's 2 separate tickets). Also does anyone know what the cost would be from there? I've read some conflicting info.

It would be Mon Mar 9 if that makes a difference if it's a holiday or anything.

Didn't think to ask, would bus/subway be better? I don't wanna spend too much money, normally I'd just take the subway, but I've read virtually nothing of people doing this. I know it's possible, but everything I've read just focuses on taxis and even very little on bussing BACK to the airport.

Last edited by drvannostren; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:26 pm

Subway doesn't go to airport.
Bus going in airport direction is hard to flag. If you miss and it passes, out of luck.
Take a regular yellow taxi. Should be around R$50-60 from Copacabana. Asking the hotel to call will up the price. As you walk around during your stay, locate the nearest taxi rank and head over there just before you need to leave. Maybe even get someone's card to call.

"Monday morning (flight departs domestic at 15:00)" 3pm, so arrive no later than 14:00/2pm. If you leave around noon, you should be OK.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, I love that leaving like 2 hours prior "should be ok" haha. Traffic must be brutal.

As far as the subway I knew it didn't arrive directly, but it seemed not too bad, getting off near the airport and taking some kind of connector bus, the airport website advertises it, but I was pretty sure I'd go taxi on departure either way.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Thanks for the advice, I love that leaving like 2 hours prior "should be ok" haha. Traffic must be brutal.

As far as the subway I knew it didn't arrive directly, but it seemed not too bad, getting off near the airport and taking some kind of connector bus, the airport website advertises it, but I was pretty sure I'd go taxi on departure either way.
Are you talking about going to the metro station Vicente de Carvalho and taking some local bus? Do you not understand how foolhardy that might become with luggage and all your valuables, looking like an obvious gringo target among the locals? (The 2018 bus is a tourist bus, btw, not a local bus.) if that is your thinking, I worry if you have sufficient street smarts to keep yourself safe during this trip.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:19 pm

The airport website was advertising one from Vicente de Carvalho yes, I'm not a moron, that's why I asked. I looked around and found no one reviewing this system, so I figured ask here and if nothing comes up, don't do it. I'm gonna take that 2018 bus coming in, but I'll just take a taxi going out.

If I get robbed, it's my own fault. But 11 trips to Colombia and I've been pick pocketed once, and got my phone back, so I think I'll probably be ok.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:20 am

No one implied "moron". Some travelers are just not used to having to think in the way one should in Brazil, being vigilant and planning well for contingencies.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by drvannostren
... going to GIG, how early should I leave? I'm thinking Taxi will be best, I'll ask the front desk to call since I don't speak Portuguese. I'...
Were i in the situation i would spring for the Aerotaxi coop, which offers trips from Zona sul (including copacabana) for R$50 flat rate. You do need to call in advance. the hotel concierge can do that, although they usually prefer their house taxis queue rather than calling Aerotaxi. The ones in the queue cost usually R$60 or so from Copacabana. The rates just went up a few weeks ago, but these indications are accurate for today.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:39 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any experience with Uber in Rio

Hi,

I noticed that Uber is available in Rio, any experience using it?

I will be arriving and departing rather late at night (both after 9 pm) at GIG. Need to get to my hotel in the Lapa area.
The last time I was in GIG, it was daytime, so just used the airport bus which was fine, but for nighttime, I prefer to play safe.

Aerotaxi both ways? (should not be too expensive as there are the 3 of us).

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.