Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:18 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Is cootramo the best way to get to Santa Teresa from GIG? My hostel is in Santa Teresa and google maps suggests that buses might take a while.

Also, how safe is Santa Teresa?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator88
Is cootramo the best way to get to Santa Teresa from GIG? My hostel is in Santa Teresa and google maps suggests that buses might take a while.

Also, how safe is Santa Teresa?
Considering that Santa Teresa is quite inaccessible, I would suggest you do take Cootramo.
Because of the works being done to rebuild the tramways, navigating through Santa Teresa has been quite challenging lately.
I consider it quite safe. Only the access through Lapa can be problematic.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:15 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by C010T3
Considering that Santa Teresa is quite inaccessible, I would suggest you do take Cootramo.
Because of the works being done to rebuild the tramways, navigating through Santa Teresa has been quite challenging lately.
I consider it quite safe. Only the access through Lapa can be problematic.
Thanks for the advice. How much do you think I would pay for a cab ride to Santa Teresa? No more than 80-100 reals? Just wanted to know how much cash to get. I guess I could also use the web ordering system that people here have been talking about.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator88
Thanks for the advice. How much do you think I would pay for a cab ride to Santa Teresa? No more than 80-100 reals? Just wanted to know how much cash to get. I guess I could also use the web ordering system that people here have been talking about.
Cootramo will cost BRL 111.00, while a yellow taxi would cost BRL 63.00. If you take the yellow taxi on a Sunday, holiday or between 9 PM and 6 AM on any given day, it should cost BRL 75.00.

You can find the fare details on the following link:

http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/web/smtr/ex...cle-id=1776544

Yellow taxi fare schedule: http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/dlstatic/10...cional2015.pdf

Executive taxi fare schedule: http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/dlstatic/10...cutivo2015.pdf
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Santa Teresa seemed quite safe. We went with a guide during the day - no problems at all. Not sure how we would've felt if we returned at night on our own but still it's a very picturesque neighborhood. Enjoy your visit to Rio!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Santa Teresa seemed quite safe. We went with a guide during the day - no problems at all. Not sure how we would've felt if we returned at night on our own but still it's a very picturesque neighborhood. Enjoy your visit to Rio!
First of all, you were with a guide, a local who knows a bit about what to look out for and avoid. So if it seemed "safe", maybe it was---for you, at that moment in time.

Secondly, before you make a statement about an area that some other future reader could take as a blanket statement, please read:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...e_Janeiro.html
(not the only report of this type about the neighborhood or Rio or Brazil I've read, but despite what happened, the attitude expressed is exemplary)

This is not to scare anyone off. I've walked up there in Santa Teresa myself. It is a charming neighborhood with interesting architecture and some fun shops. And there are some great restaurants to taxi to of an evening, like Aprazivel. But I would describe it as gentrifying, with all that signifies about any urban neighborhood. That is simply an example of the tightrope one walks in Rio and in Brazil between perceived safety and disaster.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jun 30, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

VidaNaPraia, Lapa is not Santa Teresa. Let's get this very clear.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:09 pm

VidaNaPraia, Lapa is not Santa Teresa. Let's get this very clear.
Quite true. The folks in the link set out from Santa Teresa, and like other posters, thought they could walk out.
Maybe these 2 reports will do then?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...e_Janeiro.html

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jun 30, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Quite true. The folks in the link set out from Santa Teresa, and like other posters, thought they could walk out.
Maybe these 2 reports will do then?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...e_Janeiro.html
Do you have an agenda here?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:34 am

Do you have an agenda here?
Yes, to make sure that visitors understand that there is a balance to be found when visiting Brazil, and in this particular case the very slowly gentrifying hilltop neighborhood of Santa Teresa in Rio, of "feeling" or "seeming" safe, simply because an incident did not occur involving them, and the constant vigilance that should be maintained to actually keep oneself safe. Because one tourist did not experience a problem on a brief visit does not mean that a future visitor reading that anecdote should assume an area is safe and relax to the point of exercising no vigilance. Because that tourist may not perceive that most Brazilians constantly exercise such vigilance as second nature does not mean that the tourist can afford not to be vigilant for even one moment. And the harder part still, that this vigilance actually involves educating oneself sufficiently about cultural clues to differentiate a potential threat from a racist/classist assumption.

Thanks for the soapbox.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:43 pm

OK, VidaNaPraia has just instituted a Rio-wide alert. Be safe everyone.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I thought Rio was super safe. Especially Lagoa...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:13 pm

OK, VidaNaPraia has just instituted a Rio-wide alert. Be safe everyone.
Rather, a Brazil-wide heads up to any gringo/a foolish enough to swallow hook, line and sinker, a Pollyanna-ish view of Rio through rose-colored glasses.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jul 1, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
I thought Rio was super safe. Especially Lagoa...
Care to go into detail about this reference, C010T3, for the benefit of those who want to promote the view that Rio is so perfectly safe?
Let's get this very clear.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jul 1, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wow Vida - overreact much? In my post I clearly mentioned that we were with a guide so it felt safe, but we had hesitations about returning on our own especially at night, so we didn't. Not sure where I communicated any naivete or ignorance about the safety situation in Rio.

Having said that it's really such a beautiful and stunning city with still so much to offer, and still well worth visiting IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.