Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
When I was in Belem I noticed that upper middle class people really don't set a foot in the bus. The bus there doesn't have airconditioning (and Belém is HOT) that might be a reason. They only use their car or the taxi. When I had to take my laptop or other expensive equipment somewhere I also called a taxi because Belem is pretty dangerous. In my 3 months there nothing happened to me though.

Maybe in rio its a bit more common, I don't know. Buses such at the metrô no superficie or the airco buses to Barra are pretty OK. But there are also buses without airco in Rio.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Maybe in rio its a bit more common, I don't know. Buses such at the metrô no superficie or the airco buses to Barra are pretty OK. But there are also buses without airco in Rio.
It's exactly because the bus system is used by the upper middle class that it's being demanded that all buses get A/C, which unfortunately hasn't happened yet. It's cultural and historical that buses are widely used in Rio.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Esmjb
Took an uber back from GIG last night (cost: 38 reais).
I can't get an online fare estimate and I can't use my phone's uber app to get an estimate. It's as if uber's not allowed to pick up at the airport. I could get the app to pick me a up a block or so away from the airport but not at the airport.

Can you please provide any helpful insight? I'll be there in a couple weeks.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Grabbed an uber from GIG Sunday night around 7pm. You have to move the pin off the airport grounds to send a request- they are hanging out just outside the airport. then once accepted call the guy and coordinate where to pick you up. Ours was ok with the normal area as opposed to the parking structure. GIG to Leblon with no traffic was 40 reais, same as the trip there.
EXCELLENT tip!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
EXCELLENT tip!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
If you speak a little Portuguese it will make the process a lot smoother. If you are unable to call the uber, usually they will do a few laps around the terminal because when they see your name pop up they know you are a foreigner at the airport and probably don't speak Portuguese. So just go outside and keep an eye out. If after 10-15 min you can't connect it's probably best to go up to the departures level and grab a taxi that someone is getting out of. A non-uber fare to Leblon will run around 70-80 reais so about twice as much but with the exchange rate it is still reasonable.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In July think I paid about 135 reals for a prepaid regular taxi from GIG to Barra. The return to the airport from Copa was about 80 for a prepaid nice taxi from my hotel.

First time visitors might want to consider arranging car service through their hotels. It can be easier and feel safer, although expensive looking vehicles can be targets for crime too.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:48 am

If you speak a little Portuguese it will make the process a lot smoother. If you are unable to call the uber, usually they will do a few laps around the terminal because when they see your name pop up they know you are a foreigner at the airport and probably don't speak Portuguese. So just go outside and keep an eye out. If after 10-15 min you can't connect it's probably best to go up to the departures level and grab a taxi that someone is getting out of. A non-uber fare to Leblon will run around 70-80 reais so about twice as much but with the exchange rate it is still reasonable.
Esmjb - Thank you so much for sharing. I wish everyone around here was as helpful. The information and advice you're sharing is greatly appreciated!

My flight doesn't arrive until midnight so I'm thinking there may not be very many taxis dropping off on the departures level at that hour. I don't mind taking a taxi, but I'm hoping for Uber because I can use a credit card without worrying about forex fees, or money exchange rates and ATM skimmers & fees at the airport. Plus I'll be staying at an SPG so the Uber bonus is appealing.

I don't speak any Portuguese, but I do have Google translate and I do expect my Sprint phone to be fully functional in Brazil. I'll have a layover in GRU to make sure it's set up.

Perhaps you or someone else could point me towards an ATM at GRU or GIG with the smallest to zero transaction fees so I could have some reais handy in case my Uber plan fails. I'll have more than one debit card with me so I can call that one in as lost right after using it.

Would the taxi driver accept USD? I would prefer to avoid the prepaid option.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Perhaps you or someone else could point me towards an ATM at GRU or GIG.
I'm sure we could. 2nd floor. ATMs at GIG are notorious for cards being cloned however.
Haven't been through GRU lately, but I don't use airport ATMs in Brazil anyway for that reason, just those inside bank lobbies where the presence of a guard may make it more difficult to attach the cloning devices..
There may be a currency exchange (cambio) open in the airport even at that hour, if you have cash.
The pre-paid taxis in Rio take credit cards, but they are, as you mention, the most expensive option of all.

It is legal to make transactions in Real/Reais in Brazil; illegal in any other currency. So, no, they are likely to avoid taking anything other than Reais.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:26 am

Perhaps you or someone else could point me towards an ATM at GRU or GIG with the smallest to zero transaction fees so I could have some reais handy in case my Uber plan fails. I'll have more than one debit card with me so I can call that one in as lost right after using it.

I can't speak about GRU but as mentioned the ones at GIG have a reputation for having skimmers. Personally I don't trust any stand alone ATMs, I always go to a bank branch and HSBC in particular which charges no fees and often gives me the exact current spot rate or within 1 or 2 cents max if the currency markets happen to be calm that day.

My experience says virtually all Brazilians will accept US dollars. That doesn't mean it's a good deal though. A $20 bill to a cabbie doesn't do much unless you are wildly overpaying because he has to convert that to reais to pay his bills. Lots of people more middle/upper class want to have a few thousand dollars in cash just for security or vacations so that's when you can start making deals.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If possible, plan to convert USA dollars cash to Brazilian reals at an airport bank. Avoid airport ATMs unless it's an emergency and then pick the card you use carefully. In Rio, select your ATM carefully too. I've seen them in hotels but don't know whether these would be prone to have skimmers installed.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Taxi's at GRU are all paid centrally before you get in the car which you can pay easily with a credit card, doubt they would take dollars, but do not know. Uber also works at GRU with no problems, much cheaper than a taxi. I used to pay something like R$165 to my house with an official taxi, now I pay about R$80 with Uber.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:28 am

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I believe I'll just suffer the exchange rate through a cambio at GRU. Changing a couple hundred dollars won't kill me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:02 pm

U$1=R$3.24 today (official rate)
You'd get somewhat less, but still not bad.
Let's get back up to 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:31 pm

I'll be in Cusco for several days before Brazil. I believe I'll shop the exchange rate on reais around town while I'm there. It's bound to be better than any airport.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:02 am

Unsolicited advice but I recommend to NOT take the official taxis at the Cusco airport. Those will cost you 30-40 soles (or whatever you are able to negotiate really) while a regular taxi will cost you a third.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.