FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport transportation to Rio de Janeiro
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:30 am
jbcarioca

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
. ...because I have been burnt by shonky meters in Rio cabs so often that I now refuse to use cabs there)...
It has always surprised me that I have never, ever had a bad meter in Rio. I have had bad experiences in other cities in the world, but never Rio. There is quite good discipline these days with quite a few 'blitzes' of taxi inspections. Oddly, I have been in false cabs a few times, but even they have not overcharged. Many people are confused by the nighttime tariff 2 (daytime 1) and the rates increase cards are a bother. When rates are increased teh taxi meters show the old fare and use a fare adjustment cards until they are updated. The meter updates take place during annual inspections, so the entire fleet takes a year to complete. Sometimes a driver will allegedly try to use the fare adjustment card when his meter has already been updated. if that happens the fare will be about 12% higher than it should be.

BTW, when using taxi is Rio do not leave a large tip, just round up to the next real. If you have lots of luggage there is an extra charge too.