Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:04 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Presguy
I've got a reservation next month at SEA for a Ford Transit - 12 passenger or similar.

I can't recall any time in the past I've had occasion to rent a large passenger van, and there are so many possibilities on the Ford site, I can't answer this one on my own.

What configuration is Avis likely to have? Basically, I'm hoping for a vehicle that can hold 6-7 adults, as well as a pair of kayaks on the interior. Are they likely to have such a thing?
They're all the lowest version of the roof height and seats all the way back in the Transit van, whether it's the 12 or 15 pax version. They all have the seats bolted in and they don't fold down either. They're mainly meant for passengers and maybe 1 suitcase each plus a small bag on your lap. I've tried to transport things and it's difficult in those vans. And I doubt it would be easy to get a kayak through the rear doors and over the seats, unfortunately. Avis does have some of the (ghetto) Chevy vans still hanging around. I think they're Express vans and much older style. Last I had one of those was ~2-3 years ago and it was similar to the Ford in that seats were secured in and couldn't fold down.
Auto Enthusiast and Presguy like this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
They make kayak mounts/racks/holders (idk what to call it), basically a foam block with an angle on top that the kayak sits on, and they strap down to the top of the window frames. We've used those before very successfully, even on sedans. You might want to look into getting a couple of pairs of those and maybe renting two cars.

EDIT: something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Shoreline-M...%2C172&sr=8-11

-J.
IAHtraveler and Presguy like this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Aug 26, 2020 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
They're all the lowest version of the roof height and seats all the way back in the Transit van, whether it's the 12 or 15 pax version. They all have the seats bolted in and they don't fold down either. They're mainly meant for passengers and maybe 1 suitcase each plus a small bag on your lap. I've tried to transport things and it's difficult in those vans. And I doubt it would be easy to get a kayak through the rear doors and over the seats, unfortunately. Avis does have some of the (ghetto) Chevy vans still hanging around. I think they're Express vans and much older style. Last I had one of those was ~2-3 years ago and it was similar to the Ford in that seats were secured in and couldn't fold down.
Hmm. Thanks much for the info. May have to get a backup plan in place.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
They make kayak mounts/racks/holders (idk what to call it), basically a foam block with an angle on top that the kayak sits on, and they strap down to the top of the window frames. We've used those before very successfully, even on sedans. You might want to look into getting a couple of pairs of those and maybe renting two cars.

EDIT: something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Shoreline-M...%2C172&sr=8-11

-J.
Thanks very much for the link! I've only seen more elaborate/expensive carriers - something like that could be packed easily too. I may switch to those and something like a minivan or suburban.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 5:35 am

Thanks very much for the link! I've only seen more elaborate/expensive carriers - something like that could be packed easily too. I may switch to those and something like a minivan or suburban.
I don't know anything about hauling kayaks, but I do know that minivans actually have more cargo space than big body-on-frame SUVs like the Suburban.
Presguy likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Just keep in mind, the higher the roof of the vehicle, the more trouble you will have getting the kayak on it. We had no trouble loading a kayak on a 1992 Taurus when I was a teenager. There was another vehicle we used on a road trip with it, but I don't remember if it was our Grand Cherokee (which had a roof rack) or if we rented something.

-J.
Auto Enthusiast and Presguy like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:32 am

Does Avis have any Volvo’s in group G or group H at SFO

I’m looking to rent in either group G or H in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if they still have any Volvo’s or other European cars at San Fransisco airport?

If not what am I likely to get in group G? The app is showing a Taurus which I’m not that keen on.

What day of the week am I likely to get the best availability?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:38 pm

Any thoughts on what a "Luxury similar to Chrysler 300" could end up being next month at LAX?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:40 am

Does Avis fleet have the same trim? Got a Toyota RAV4 LE, which doesn't even have automatic headlight (headlight doesn't automatically turn on when dark, and it doesn't automatically turn off when you turn off the car).

Looks like you can search on https://www.aviscarsales.com/
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:47 pm

I have 2 upcoming reservations that I am looking at renting a Full Size SUV in Kauai and NYC (JFK). I need 8 seats (2 adults and 6 kids). Can I guarantee that there will be some option that has 8 seats or could I get stuck with only bucket seats in the middle row?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by swallaby
I have 2 upcoming reservations that I am looking at renting a Full Size SUV in Kauai and NYC (JFK). I need 8 seats (2 adults and 6 kids). Can I guarantee that there will be some option that has 8 seats or could I get stuck with only bucket seats in the middle row?
No guarantees these days. Even the big airports often only have a few big SUVs on hand at any given time.

If you could get a reservation with National/Alamo/Enterprise, they seem to almost exclusively buy with bench seats. IIRC Avis is a mix.
Auto Enthusiast and swallaby like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by swallaby
You're more likely to get 8 seats in a minivan. Some variations of the Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager and Toyota Sienna seat eight.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by m907
You're more likely to get 8 seats in a minivan. Some variations of the Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager and Toyota Sienna seat eight.
I've never seen a Chrysler/Dodge minivan without bucket seats on a rental lot. Then again, I haven't rented in a minivan in a while.

-J.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:56 am

It seems that almost all rental minivans have 7 seats with bucket seats. Looks like I might need to aim for a Suburban. At that point I am probably using Turo but with JFK that will be a nuisance...
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: National Executive, UA MileagePlus, BA Executive Club, EI AerClub
Minivan fleet (NYC)

Hi!

I booked a minivan for this weekend - for some reason there was an incredibly good rate that was cheaper than an economy car! I have a few questions - one is which model is most likely? They list the Chrysler Pacifica, which I would be fine with, but what is most likely? I'm ok with a Sedona, Sienna, or Odyssey, but I would want to steer clear of the Dodge GC.

Also, do any of the minivans have AWD? I don't absolutely need it, but I will be going up to a hiking area that has a few gravel/dirt roads, so if there isn't AWD, I'll try to avoid those.

Lastly, is it more likely to be a 7-seater or an 8-seater?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.