Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
As of 2/12/14: We've had quite a few "Hey, come use this AWD. It's great" type of posts. When the AWD doesn't give a good discount, but is only posted to try to get renters to use the AWD of someone so the poster can earn free days from their Avis Corporate account. From here out, please put the company/trade group/etc that's associated with the AWD or we'll delete the post to keep it on-topic here.

Status Match &/or Complimentary Status
(only public matches posted where Avis or entity post public links - certain corporations also offer upgrades - they are not listed since they are not public)

Status Match
  • (Not applicable to residents in the US and Canada) link here
President's Club (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 100k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United Club Infinite, Presidential Plus Business/Consumer, & Business Card primary Cardmembers (link here)
  • United MileagePlus members with Premier Platinum or status or higher (link here)
  • Aeroplan 75K and Super Elite Members as well as the Primary Cardholder of an Aeroplan premium credit card (link here)
  • Hawaiian Air Pualani Platinum members (link here)
  • Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer Solitaire PPS Club and PPS Club members (link here)
  • American Express Platinum card holders (outside USA) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite or Black cardholders (Europe, Turkey, & CIS) link here
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite (benefits link here)
  • Lincoln Black Label members (link here)
  • Inspirato members (link here)
  • THIRDHOME members (link here)
  • SouthernSun Black Status Members (South Africa) (link here)
  • DNB Mastercard Upgrade cardholders (Norway) (link here)
  • XO Access Members (link here)
Preferred Plus (complimentary upgrade)
  • American Airlines 60k Loyalty Points level choice (link here)
  • United MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members (link here)
  • Aeroplan 25K, 35K and 50K Members and primary cardholders of an Aeroplan core credit card (link here)
  • Etihad Guest Gold Members (residing in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey) link here
  • Mastercard World Elite card holders (US based) link here
  • Visa Infinite card holders (US & Canada based) (link here)
  • American Express Platinum Cardholders (US Based) link here
  • CLEAR Plus members (link here)
  • Founders Card Members (link provided after joining)
Print Wikipost

Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
You probably don't need to go through all the trouble. Depending on what company you reserve with, you can submit the reservation to autoslash.com for tracking. In a way, its like using expertflyer.com to constantly check for airline class availability.
I don't understand. Here's what autoslassh says:
After you book, we analyze your rental and figure out which ones lower your rate the most. Then we automatically apply those discounts and re-book you at the lowest rate.
I don't want to be rebooked "at the lowest rate" that they pick. I only want to rebooked at the lowest rate that (a) is for a car class that I want (in many cases, there's an SUV that's lower, but I don't want that), and (b) that works with the bonus miles/points coupon I'm using (in the current case, 7500 bonus AA miles for a 7-day rental), and (c) is an Avis Preferred reservation made with my Avis Wizard number.

Is autoslash able to support all that (I specify the coupon, not them, I specify that the AWD has to work with the coupon, and I specify which car classes I'm ok with)?

(I just tried a car search at autoslash, I specified Avis and it only showed PayLess, though I know Avis has cars at that location. I tried selecting "cars only, no SUVs", but there is no such selection.)

And does autostlash even work with Avis.com (since I'm always either Avis Preferred or Avis First, I need to be logged with my Wizard number for all my reservations)? It only lists Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity.

It seems quite different than expertflyer to me. Expertflyer I can specify that I only want this airline, this class, etc. And it shows me the results I want even if I didn't pick the best deal. And it certainly doesn't book/rebook me, it just tell me the new option that came up. I don't see any such ability at autoslash; it seem way too automatic (for someone concerned with stuff beyond just lowest price).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 11, 2014 at 7:23 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
UPDA029 Free double upgrade in Australia
how does this work?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sdsearch
After you book, we analyze your rental and figure out which ones lower your rate the most. Then we automatically apply those discounts and re-book you at the lowest rate.
I don't want to be rebooked "at the lowest rate" that they pick. I only want to rebooked at the lowest rate that (a) is for a car class that I want (in many cases, there's an SUV that's lower, but I don't want that), and (b) that works with the bonus miles/points coupon I'm using (in the current case, 7500 bonus AA miles for a 7-day rental), and (c) is an Avis Preferred reservation made with my Avis Wizard number.

Is autoslash able to support all that (I specify the coupon, not them, I specify that the AWD has to work with the coupon, and I specify which car classes I'm ok with)?

(I just tried a car search at autoslash, I specified Avis and it only showed PayLess, though I know Avis has cars at that location. I tried selecting "cars only, no SUVs", but there is no such selection.)

And does autostlash even work with Avis.com (since I'm always either Avis Preferred or Avis First, I need to be logged with my Wizard number for all my reservations)? It only lists Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity.

It seems quite different than expertflyer to me. Expertflyer I can specify that I only want this airline, this class, etc. And it shows me the results I want even if I didn't pick the best deal. And it certainly doesn't book/rebook me, it just tell me the new option that came up. I don't see any such ability at autoslash; it seem way too automatic (for someone concerned with stuff beyond just lowest price).
You make the initial reservation. In my experience, autoslash rebooks you only if they find the same class car offered by the same company you reserved at a lower price. If they find a better deal with another company, but the same class car, they simply let you know and you can rebook. That's the way it seems to work to me.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Wow Flightexpert that is one heck of a list
Thanks!

---------

Do they even check if you use the other codes that you supposedly don't qualify for?

I know they don't check for Costco because looks like the discount is too low.
My pleasure, TennisNoob

They usually do not ask for ID or other proof of discount eligibility, but if they do, you could be stuck with the walk-up rate, which can be costly. They're not going to arrest you if you get busted, you'll just suffer some mild embarrassment.

Then, once you've gotten over your shame at trying to scam Avis, refuse the walk-up rate (unless it's good) and saunter on over to the Budget or Dollar counter where you had a back-up reservation in case this happened, 'cuz you're a smart traveler like that
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by dc2447
how does this work?
That code UPDA029 is for rentals picked up / returned in Australia. On Avis.com, check "I have a discount code" box and enter code into Coupon Code field. Then search for your car.

Upgrade 2 car classes
Rent for at least 4 consecutive days
Use coupon code UPDA029
Maximum upgrade to group P
Valid through August 31, 2014

On the results page, you should see a message like "Coupon UPDA029 applies to the following car classes only" and something about a double upgrade. Each car on offer should be the same price as 2 classes below, if that makes any sense at all

Last edited by flightexpert; Jul 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reason: clarification - can reserve from multiple countries
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:03 am

Agreed. With AutoSlash, you often get a great deal, but you can't really specify a lot of preferences - you just kind of have to take what you get when they rebook you. But if you are looking for a good rate on car rental without having to do a lot of work yourself, AutoSlash can't be beat.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flightexpert
My pleasure, TennisNoob

They usually do not ask for ID or other proof of discount eligibility, but if they do, you could be stuck with the walk-up rate, which can be costly. They're not going to arrest you if you get busted, you'll just suffer some mild embarrassment.

Then, once you've gotten over your shame at trying to scam Avis, refuse the walk-up rate (unless it's good) and saunter on over to the Budget or Dollar counter where you had a back-up reservation in case this happened, 'cuz you're a smart traveler like that

Hehe so last time I used the Priceline one. I have no clue what it was, does it mean you have to be a priceline employee to use it?

Since I'm in Avis Presidents club they never can "pull me to the counter".

I think if you're in APC they won't ever check?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Hehe so last time I used the Priceline one. I have no clue what it was, does it mean you have to be a priceline employee to use it?

Since I'm in Avis Presidents club they never can "pull me to the counter".

I think if you're in APC they won't ever check?
I would say you're probably safe, but the fine print says they can always ask for proof of discount eligibility. In my experience, if that's going to happen, it happens at the counter.

That Priceline code A686200 is a killer discount, but the best was the Citicorp A074800. I have heard that all you have to have to use that one is a Citibank card or account, but I am not sure.

I think the Priceline one is for Priceline customers, like the Sears code and the Farmers Insurance code. I have never heard of request for proof when using the Priceline code, has anyone else?

Also, the military discount AWD A555084 gave 40-50% off every time I searched - a really good deal.

I should say I THINK it's a military discount AWD. If a person really wants to know for sure, they would have to call Avis and ask. The same goes for all the corporate AWD codes on that list except G833800, H855900, H855900, K462601 and all the coupon codes (UUWA029, etc.), which I got directly from Avis.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:05 pm

If anyone is interested, here are the AWD codes I could not get to work. I didn't try all possible dates, rental locations, etc., so it could be that some of these may still work. Most, if not all, of these I got from the old list in this thread originally posted by MartinElk.

D331000 is definitely invalid.

A153700 Avis employee rate
B900000 AAA
B973000 Gusto Card
D005297 Amateur Sports Assistance Program
D086689 American Association of Engineers
D086533 Marshall School of Business (USC)
K163324 Florida Space Coast Golf Association
J098440 Canon
K774100 Avis Online Discount
K860600 Starwood Preferred Guest

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jul 11, 2014 at 3:50 pm Reason: Removing "unknown" AWDs.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors, SPG Gold, PC, Avis
Thanks for the lists FlightExpert!!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt

On these three specific issues, assuming you submit your own AVIS reservation for tracking: (a) autoslash will not change your car class; (b) I just don't know as I seldom use coupon codes; (c) your Avis Wizard number remains on any rebooked reservation. In my experience, automatic rebooking occurs only maintaining the same company and car class as on the original reservation submitted for tracking. In case they find a lower rate for the same car class with another company, they send an e-mail, but you have to rebook yourself. At least, that's the way it has worked for me in the past.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Deaner
Thanks for the lists FlightExpert!!
Sure!

I also have a big list on my site of current Avis frequent flyer promotions for US and Canada airlines, plus the AWD numbers for different status levels for Avis' worldwide airline partners (about 50 in all).

It is a really long list and I don't have the time or ability to format it for the FT forum. Is it OK to post the link on here? (or you could also PM me for it if you are interested.)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I would say you're probably safe, but the fine print says they can always ask for proof of discount eligibility. In my experience, if that's going to happen, it happens at the counter.

That Priceline code A686200 is a killer discount, but the best was the Citicorp A074800. I have heard that all you have to have to use that one is a Citibank card or account, but I am not sure.

I think the Priceline one is for Priceline customers, like the Sears code and the Farmers Insurance code. I have never heard of request for proof when using the Priceline code, has anyone else?

Also, the military discount AWD A555084 gave 40-50% off every time I searched - a really good deal.

I should say I THINK it's a military discount AWD. If a person really wants to know for sure, they would have to call Avis and ask. The same goes for all the corporate AWD codes on that list except G833800, H855900, H855900, K462601 and all the coupon codes (UUWA029, etc.), which I got directly from Avis.
Oh okay so worst case I could be like
Here's my citibank card

If they say its only for employers than I could be like "oh"

And than use the priceline code

Since i'm actually a major priceline customer.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Is it OK to post the link on here? (or you could also PM me for it if you are interested.)
Sure, you can post the link. Please note the T&C page has some info on posting links to external sites. Mainly, for your site, "Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website."

Also note that I edited a few of your above posts to delete "Unknown" AWDs. We've had too many people posting "Try this AWD because it works great." But it's just their corporate code where they're trying to get inflated rental #s. As noted in the wiki at the top of this thread, all AWDs must list the associated corporation/group/etc.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
You make the initial reservation. In my experience, autoslash rebooks you only if they find the same class car offered by the same company you reserved at a lower price. If they find a better deal with another company, but the same class car, they simply let you know and you can rebook. That's the way it seems to work to me.
Well, the example I gave about was the lower rate was for a different class of car! I had original gotten the lowest rate on a compact, but then the price of compacts went up while the price of an intermediate dropped (twice) below what my original rate for a compact had been.

So if it works the way you say, it would have been useless for me, because the price in the class I originally booked never went down in cost.

(I didn't care whether I got an economy, compact, intermediate, or standard, I just wanted whichever of those was the lowest cost. It sounds like autostash is not up to that job, but my manual technique is.)

So if there's only one class you're interested in, then autoslash may work for you, but it's a range of class and it's unpredictable (and in my experience it often is) which class will end up cheapest later on, then it sounds like autoslash would not work.

My, anyway, how do I tell autoslash what my original reservation at avis.com is? When I tried it, it only allowed lookup of existing reservations on third-party sites (expedia, etc), not any of the rental car company sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.