Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
As of June 2014 Membership Rewards (USA) has implemented software which prevents linking of airline and hotel accounts for anyone who is not a cardholder on the American Express account. Please click HERE to read the new thread.

----------------------------------------

So far transfers from Membership Rewards USA to another's FFP have only been refused for:

Emirates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21742291-post18.html

Transfer rules for American Express accounts issued in other countries are more restrictive.
Print Wikipost

Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
should have no problems

...I've xfered mr to my wifes skymiles account on a couple of occasions, no issues. Just link the skymiles account and off you go.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:58 am

No transfer link to Aeroplan; name mismatch

Aeroplan refused to accept a Membership Rewards link in a different name. I inquired if this is unique to aeroplan and got this reply;

Response (Priyanka Samanta) 04/04/2012 05:32 AM
Dear xxxxxx,

I would like to confirm that this policy is with all partner airlines.

Your name should appear same on both the accounts (both American Express and your partner airlines). This is because, without this we will not be able to link your accounts. The systems will not accept any point transfer as there will be no co-relation with the accounts.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
[Removed]
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

I was previously able to link without name to other airlines. Is this a new unannounced MR policy?

Last edited by mia; Apr 4, 2012 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Post has been moved into the established thread on this topic.

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
I was previously able to link without name to other airlines.
It has long been published policy that you could only link to frequent flyer accounts in your own name or the names of supplementary cardholders on your account.
You may only convert points into a participating Frequent Customer program account held by you or an Additional CM linked to your program account.
In practice, the system has not checked to see if the name entered matched the name of any cardholder on the American Express account, but the name must match the records of the frequent flyer program.

It is, of course, possible that American Express has changed their software to enforce the policy as written, but previous reports have proven to be false alarms.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:26 am

I did have one MR->DL fail last year when they were running the bonus+MQM deal. I tried to transfer MR points to my daughter's SkyMiles account with no luck. Despite having success linking other family members' accounts previously, it just didn't go.

I spoke to an AmEx rep who had a simple solution - AmEx issued my daughter a supplemental green AmEx off my Plat at no cost, and then the transfer went through without a problem.
Old May 7, 2012, 5:08 am

Transfer Mom's Amex points to my BA?

Hi all,

My mom has a lot of Amex points (more than 75K) which can be transfered to BA Avios.
However, she is old and she lets me to manage all her points/miles for many different programs. Right now she does not have a BA account member.

So my question is that: Can I transfer all her Amex points to my BA Avios account under my name without doing anysetup like a household account? I heard information about the household account from someone here but never try to do it yet.

I would like to know this information as soon as possible in order to take advantage of %50 bonus which ends this month 05/31/2012.

Thanks for your time reading this and your useful information. Thank you all.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:58 am
mia

Moderator action

I have moved your question into the established thread on this recurring question. If your mother's American Express card is issued in the USA the official answer is "no", but the practical answer is "yes", provided you link your BA account to her Membership Rewards account online and make the transfer online. Read the earlier posts for details.

If your mother's account is issued in Canada or any other country the answer is very different.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
I've done this before, all your mom has to do is add you as a supplementary card holder, then you can add your BA# to the MR website to transfer.

(you can't just add your BA# outright because you'll get an error saying your name doesn't match)
Old May 7, 2012, 3:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by kethee
...all your mom has to do is add you as a supplementary card holder, ...
This is a good solution if the card is a Premier Rewards Gold account because it allows five Authorized User cards at no additional cost. However, if it is any other type of card this will generate an annual fee.

When linking to frequent flyer accounts the name submitted must match the airline program's name, but it need not match the name on the American Express account. I realize there have been a few reports that American Express has started to check this, but I am not yet convinced that it is happening.

As a test I just linked my spouse's BAEC account to my American Express Membership Rewards account. She is not a cardholder on my account.

Last edited by mia; May 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 1:13 am

My mom is holding Premier Rewards Gold Card. She got targeted for that and I did not. I do not have this card yet up to now (never have one).

Regarding to suggestions from Mia and kethee, that adding me as an Authorized User would solve the situation. However, I have a question: Am I able to have the signup promotion on the Premier Rewards Gold Card later? (if later this year, there is a similar signup bonus like that on this card)

If not, the only way I can see is to setup a BA account for my mom, and do some kind of household account? How easy is it for setting a household account between two of us (my mom's and my acct). Thanks for helpful information.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:42 am
mia

Originally Posted by nature1370
... the only way I can see is to setup a BA account for my mom, and do some kind of household account?
Have you tried linking your BAEC account to your mother's Membership Rewards account? This is the simplest solution and there is no downside to trying it.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you tried linking your BAEC account to your mother's Membership Rewards account? This is the simplest solution and there is no downside to trying it.
Agreed, Ive heard of people getting this to work, but an error message popped up when I tried to do it. If that happens to you, you can also keep calling CSR and have them link your BA to your moms account. I also tried this 3 times, and they told me it had to be me. One time I even pretended that my BA account was a nickname and they told me their "systems" wont allow it. BUT I think if you keep trying someone will let it happen, I just didn't have the patience of explaining it, going through the process etc. etc. more than 3 times.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:43 am

I have tried to link my mom's MR account to both my BritishAirway's account and my mom's account successfully. However, I have not done the transfer yet.

It seems there is no option to select which account (main BA account) I can transfer into.
Since I did link my BA first to her MR's account, then added her BA's acct to her MR's acct.
Not sure which one will be at default for transfer. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by nature1370
It seems there is no option to select which account (main BA account) I can transfer into.
You will be able to choose during the transfer process.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:05 pm

Thanks to Mia for your useful information. The transfer went smoothly and the miles + 50% bonus appear instantly in my BA account.

Also thanks to kethee for useful replies.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:10 pm

yay! Im glad everything worked out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.