Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
As of June 2014 Membership Rewards (USA) has implemented software which prevents linking of airline and hotel accounts for anyone who is not a cardholder on the American Express account. Please click HERE to read the new thread.

----------------------------------------

So far transfers from Membership Rewards USA to another's FFP have only been refused for:

Emirates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21742291-post18.html

Transfer rules for American Express accounts issued in other countries are more restrictive.
Print Wikipost

Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by safigan
...link a DL account to my MR account if the names don't match?
Yes. You should create the link online at membershiprewards.com. You will have an opportunity to specify the name and Skymiles account number. This must match Skymiles' records, but need not be the same as the name on your American Express card account.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Tried it and it worked like a champ. The 50% bonus and 25k MQMs posted immediately. Nice!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UK Flyer 1
Is that the critical difference - more flexible if in the US?
I can confirm a NO for a US based/citizen trying to transfer Amex MR into a buddy's account.

There seems to be a new 'middle-step' that Amex is employing whereby when linking accounts, they send the linked info to whatever vendor you're trying to link to for verfication. If the names don't match, mine was rejected (I tried with an airline program as well as a hotel).

Could it be that the flexibility to transfer Amex MR to someone else's account is now dead?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:15 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
There seems to be a new 'middle-step' that Amex is employing whereby when linking accounts, they send the linked info to whatever vendor you're trying to link to for verfication.
They have always done this. When you link an airline or hotel program to your Membership Rewards (USA) account you must provide the recipient's account number and the recipient's name. These must match the airline or hotel program's records, but they do not have to match _your_ name because you are permitted to transfer airline and hotel accounts in the name of supplementary cardholders.

American Express could begin to verify that the name provided matches a current supplementary cardholder's name, but this would be an internal check.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I just transferred 1,000 MR points into my wife's Aeroplan account. Checked her account and transfer was instant. I live in U.S. and have Platinum card...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
They have always done this.
If AMEX was doing this, it was behind the scenes.

ONLY within the past 2 weeks has a window popped up with the verbiage about this middle step/verification I mentioned upthread.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
This is the US cardholder language:

You may only convert points into a participating Frequent Customer program account held by you or an Additional CM linked to your program account.
With his authorization, I just transferred MR points from my father's account to each of my parents' SkyMiles accounts to get the 50% bonus and Silver Medallion. I just had to link my mother's account first (which was instant thank God).
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by Duhey2
This is the US cardholder language:
Yes, but in practice American Express does not verify if the others are, in fact, additional Cardmembers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:34 am
mia

Moderator action

2tall4economy's question about transferring to another's Membership Rewards account has been moved to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-points.html
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:57 am

Transfering pts to family member's Skymiles [USA]

I need to transfer my pt's to my mothers sky miles acct in order to get it to 120k miles, I just added her as an authorized user to my AMEX card. From what I've read (not on the forum though), this should be OK, but wanted to get another opinion, and can I do it immediately?, I just linked the acct yesterday.

Last edited by mia; Jan 8, 2012 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
You need to link her skymile account to your MR account, which can be easily done via Amex website.

Adding her as an authorized user does not help.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by allanfan
You need to link her skymile account to your MR account, which can be easily done via Amex website.

Adding her as an authorized user does not help.
yes, I actually did both, because in the terms and conditions, I thought it said you can only xfer pts to yourself or another card member.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by bernyx
yes, I actually did both, because in the terms and conditions, I thought it said you can only xfer pts to yourself or another card member.
Officially, that's right. In practice, you can link someone to your MR account and then instantly transfer points to them. I've done it a few times.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The "official" answer I have from Amex is that you can transfer points to an authorized user, or that if you have no other accounts linked, you can transfer to one account even if not an AU.

I have always found I can transfer points under those conditions. I don't think you'll have any problem.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:38 am
mia

This is an area where American Express practice is more liberal than the written policy, and more liberal in the USA than other markets. If you were able to link her Skymiles account to your Membership Rewards account you will be able to make the transfer. Normally, the transfer will be instantaneous, but weekends are for maintenance at both Delta and American Express and you may prefer to make the transfer on Monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.