Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
As of June 2014 Membership Rewards (USA) has implemented software which prevents linking of airline and hotel accounts for anyone who is not a cardholder on the American Express account. Please click HERE to read the new thread.

----------------------------------------

So far transfers from Membership Rewards USA to another's FFP have only been refused for:

Emirates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21742291-post18.html

Transfer rules for American Express accounts issued in other countries are more restrictive.
Print Wikipost

Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Yes, just go online to the Membership Rewards website and link her Virgin account there. Once linked you can transfer points.

Officially points can only be transferred to someone who is an authorized user on the card account linked to Membership Rewards.

In practice with most programs you can transfer to anyone you wish online.

But before you transfer to Virgin, consider one of their partners like ANA -- often requires fewer points and lower taxes/fees.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
[Moderator action...]

gleff's reply is precisely correct for a USA account, but I suspect alexb1212 has a UK account, the process may be different and ANA is not a Membership Rewards UK partner. I have changed the thread title to be more specific.

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I was unable to do this (two years ago, when I last tried) with my account and wife's FF programme (my wife is a secondary card holder)...so I think that it's not possible with UK MR. Shame.

tb
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Membership rewards points transfer to FF account in a different name?

I am in the UK and have an Amex Gold card. I want to transfer some MR points to a BA FF account in my husband's name (same surname). Can I and if so, how?

Also could I transfer MR points to a different BA Miles account in another relative's name (different surname and address)?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
I'm not sure about how it works in the UK, but I know in the US you simply need to add the number to membershiprewards.com to complete the transfer. I've transferred to my friends and family many times this way.

I think there's also a 20% promotion on miles transferred to BA right now from MR.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:48 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by louie-m
I am in the UK and have an Amex Gold card. I want to transfer some MR points to a BA FF account in my husband's name (same surname). Can I and if so, how?

Also could I transfer MR points to a different BA Miles account in another relative's name (different surname and address)?
Unless the rules are different in different countries, you cannot transfer Membership Rewards points to the account of anyone other than the basic cardmember.

You can transfer points to your own airline account, and if the airline permits, then transfer pints to a family member. I do this regularly.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by louie-m

Do you have a household BA account? Shouldn't matter which account the miles land up in in order to use them.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Unless the rules are different in different countries, you cannot transfer Membership Rewards points to the account of anyone other than the basic cardmember.

You can transfer points to your own airline account, and if the airline permits, then transfer pints to a family member. I do this regularly.
It is the same in rules for the US but they are hardly enforced. Have you tried it to know that they enforce it by you or just assuming?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mlad1101
It is the same in rules for the US ...
Not exactly. The USA rule permits transfers to basic -and- additional cardholders. The Australian rules limit transfers only to accounts registered in the basic cardholder's name.

https://catalogue.membershiprewards....ng.mtw#answer5
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Rules and reality are VERY different in this particular aspect of the program. :-:
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by sbm12
Rules and reality are VERY different in this particular aspect of the program. :-:
+1

Not only that - I have specifically done before it on the phone:
Specifically asked "I want to transfer points to someone else's FQ Program" They were not related to me, not the same name, not the same address - nothing.

The CSR asked for the person's Name, program type, and membership number in that program - and did the transfer on the phone while I waited.

Points appeared in the other person's account almost immediately.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
Originally Posted by S.Bling
+1

Not only that - I have specifically done before it on the phone:
Specifically asked "I want to transfer points to someone else's FQ Program" They were not related to me, not the same name, not the same address - nothing.

The CSR asked for the person's Name, program type, and membership number in that program - and did the transfer on the phone while I waited.

Points appeared in the other person's account almost immediately.
was that with BA or VS? I believe while it might be possible with US airlines, they will not do it with US MR and European airlines.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:14 am

Do you have online access to the MR program. If so, as has been mentioned above, just go into your online account, add the new program and click "link". Depending on the airline the process may be instant, or take a few days. Once it is linked, you can readily transfer points into the account. I have done it with people who are not supplemental card holders, and not even related to me.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I thought I'd update this thread with my experiences - bear in mind this is in the UK and is something that seems to differ in different countries.

I started by transferring MR points to my husband's FF account (same surname) and all went fine.

So then I tried transferring some MR points from my sister's Amex account (different surname) to my FF account. The Amex website showed my FF account no as having been accepted by the system before I tried the transfer. The points disappeared from her Amex account but never appeared in my FF account but neither did they reappear in her account, as I would have expected had the transfer been rejected. After speaking to Amex, it seems they would have expected the points to have bounced back too so they are currently trying to work out what happened and are redoing the same transfer to my sister's own FF account instead.

Amex mentioned that the transfer failed because of the different surnames, so regardless of the fact that you are not supposed to transfer into a different person's FF account, it seems it will work in the UK as long as you share your last name.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:14 pm

You have huge amount of misinformation and confusion on the Amex Forum from the fact Amex has products in multiple countries that have different rules, benefits, restrictions, etc for programs. The OP in this case indicates the UK which is nice

I think it would be nice if someone would could establish an unofficial format when posting that indicates the product Country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.