Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
As of June 2014 Membership Rewards (USA) has implemented software which prevents linking of airline and hotel accounts for anyone who is not a cardholder on the American Express account. Please click HERE to read the new thread.

----------------------------------------

So far transfers from Membership Rewards USA to another's FFP have only been refused for:

Emirates

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21742291-post18.html

Transfer rules for American Express accounts issued in other countries are more restrictive.
Print Wikipost

Transfer MR into someone else's FF account?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1P
Transfer MR to Other People's Mileage Account?

Can I transfer my MR to family member's CO mileage account? Thanks!
Old May 14, 2011, 11:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kgkg
Officially you can only transfer to your own accounts, or to the accounts of supplementary cardholders. In practice this rule is very seldom enforced. Go to membershiprewards.com, login, "link" the CO account(s) to your Membership Rewards account. The name must match the name on the OnePass account. After the link is confirmed you will be able to transfer online.

Normally, links and transfers to CO are instantaneous. However, if either American Express or CO is performing system maintenance (common on weekends) it may take a day or two.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by kgkg
Yes, I've done transfers occasionally to others and received from others as well. Non-issue. Just don't overdo it becuase as mia said, it's technically not allowed.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Has anyone had any recent experience transferring between two MR to another MR acct (non family member/spouse)?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
I just want to clear a couple of things up on this topic, if I may.

Firstly - technically points transfers from an MR account in one persons name to a FF account in another persons name are not supposed to happen... Most CSRs you ask will tell you it cannot happen.

However, it can be done with certain partners. Every Airline and Hotel partner can differ in terms of the specific customer information they "validate" when they approve an MR account transfer (or account link).

I believe that some FF partners only validate that surname and FF account number match and that the FF number is correct and valid. In these cases you may find that you are able to succesfully link and transfer points to a spouse or a child with the same surname. Also, in these cases it may be that when you try to link a FF number online, it is your first name that shows - and you may not be able to change it - but the link/transfer may still go through OK as members first name is not part of the validation.

I think some partners check more information - such as first name, last name, zip code etc and it is with these partners that you will find that link/ transfer requests won't go through if the details don't match.

So the short version is - YMMV, depending on who your are trying to transfer miles to and who's account you are trying to transfer to.

By far the least likely to work is probably where you are trying to transfer miles to an account with a different surname as most partners do check that.

Unless someone wants to try and compile a list of where this seems to work and where it doesn't work - you will probably have to experiment and see if it works for your specific transfer request.

There is no straight up "this works" or "this doesn't work" answer...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Has anyone had any recent experience transferring between two MR to another MR acct (non family member/spouse)?
MR transfers from one account to another account in someone elses name are generally not allowed - although I have heard anecdotally that transfers between accounts (different members) have been allowed for a fee before... but I'm not sure about this or which country it was, tbh.

I don't believe its possible in the UK.

The UK do allow a once-a-year transfer between UK MR accounts and UK issued Intl Dollar/Euro Card accounts in the same name, however account transfers between different members (even family members) are not permitted as a rule.

Your best bet to find out for sure is to ask MR CSR. If the answer is no - try again with a different CSR. if the request is denied repeatedly - then the answer is No. And there really is no way to circumvent that for account>account transfers
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
moving MR points to somebody elses airline account no longer possible?

I was just trying to move some of my MR points into somebody else's Virgin Milage acount. Before I could conclude the transaction I had to agree to this rule:

You may only convert points into a participating program held by you or an additional Cardmember linked to your account.

This must be a new rule, because just a few days ago I moved some of my points into somebody elses BA account.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:52 am
mia

This has long been the rule, and I have seen the notice many times. It has not been enforced for USA card accounts, but it could be enforced whenever American Express chooses to implement a simple check.

Last edited by mia; Jul 15, 2011 at 8:49 am Reason: Specify nationality
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is the standard rule, although I have been told they will make occasional exceptions.

I was told also that you can link an MR account to a non-cardholder's account if it is the only account linked. And I was able to do that with my wife's MR account. Amex told me that they have to pay the airlines extra for transferring to multiple accounts.

It's not that complicated though to get an extra card for your friend, of course it depends what kind of card you have.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by redtop43
... I have been told they will make occasional exceptions.
It which country is your American Express card account issued? This is an area in which the USA practice seems to be very different than in other markets.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:29 am

If I know it earlier, I shouldn't remove myself from my wife's Costco card.
Originally Posted by pedropescador
I was just trying to move some of my MR points into somebody else's Virgin Milage acount. Before I could conclude the transaction I had to agree to this rule:

You may only convert points into a participating program held by you or an additional Cardmember linked to your account.

This must be a new rule, because just a few days ago I moved some of my points into somebody elses BA account.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by untamed
shouldn't remove myself from my wife's Costco card.
Unless your wife's Costco card is very old, it does not participate in Membership Rewards, and would not be relevant for this purpose.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT

Sorry this has probably been answered. Is it possible to transfer miles from a MR account to another MR account who is someone with a different name?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:56 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jk5598224
Is it possible to transfer miles from a MR account to another MR account...
In general, USA Membership Rewards points cannot be transferred to another Membership Rewards account, although you may be able to plead for an exception in event of death, divorce or other special circumstance. However, you can transfer from Membership Rewards to a frequent flyer account in the name of another person by linking that frequent flyer account to your Membership Rewards account (as explained throughout this thread.)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Link DL acct. to MR acct. when names don't match?

I'm sure this has been answered before, but there's no good way to search for it... Can someone please clarify if I can link a DL account to my MR account if the names don't match? Here's what AmEx says on their site:

"Please keep in mind that only your frequent traveler accounts and those of your linked Cardmembers are eligible for point transfers."

What is a "linked" Cardmember? An authorized user? An additional cardholder? Something else?

The reason I want to do this is because I want to take advantage of the 50% bonus + 25k MQMs promotion for transferring from MR to DL. However, this is available for first-time transfers only. If I transfer to a different DL account than the one I usually use, does that count as a first-time transfer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.