Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chat button does not show up on either Firefox or Chrome browser. Resorted to calling. No offer on BonVoy business card, but $50 statement credit on both our Blue Business Plus cards. Accepted. Thank you for the poster No.1036 posted this information.
CaptJOB likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:54 am

Amex Gold - first annual fee will be posted in a month. 20k points after 2k spend in 3 months.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:27 pm

Got a retention offer for 20k points after $3k spend in 3 months. Not great, but after Schwab $200 bonus, it brings the AF down quite a bit. (They originally offered $175 for $3k spend in 3 months but I asked if there was a different offer)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:44 pm

Delta Reserve - 30K miles with no spend. Accepted
He also offered $100 statement credit for $2K spend. Apparently this is the offer that I accepted last year.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP): offered $75 statement credit after $1,000 spend within 3 months

Last edited by LedgeT; Oct 24, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Oct 25, 2022, 10:43 am

P2's AMEX gold was up for renewal today. Had contacted AMEX via chat to see retention offer available on the card about a month ago. The agent transferred me to retention department and was offered 30k for 3k spend in 3 months. Was inclined to accept, but decided to wait until the AF actually posted.

AF posted today, so contacted via chat again. This time, the agent outright said there was no offer on my account. I was surprised by this, but knew something was missing as the agent never tried to convince me about the benefits of the card before offering to cancel it. Asked her to transfer me to retention dept. She did, and this time, chatted with another agent who went through usual grind of explaining the benefits of the card, asking for future spend pattern, etc. When I said i can't convince myself to pay the AF without a way to recoup at least some value (told them that Uber credit and rest. credits aren't useful for me since I live in remote area). I was offered 30k for 3k spend in 90 days. Asked if they could extend the min. spend duration - no dice. Asked if there was statement credit option instead of MR points - was offered $200 stmt credit for the same spend. I accepted 30k MR point option.

Now, I really didn't want to pay the annual fee of $250 this year (we have had a few high-AF card sign-ups this year, so trying to minimize cash outflow on fees for the rest of the year), so I went ahead and redeemed 25k MR points for a dummy $250 flight (which I will later cancel) through AMEX travel and keep the $250 statement credit. Net outcome of 5k MR points for 3k spend and keeping the account open for another year. Anything I earn from AMEX offers, Uber Credit, and restaurant credits, will be cherry. Also hoping to be targeted for Platinum Upgrade offer next year. The real kicker is that we maxed out the referral bonus points last year (55k), so hoping for the same next year
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mundadadhiraj
P2's AMEX gold was up for renewal today. Had contacted AMEX via chat to see retention offer available on the card about a month ago. The agent transferred me to retention department and was offered 30k for 3k spend in 3 months. Was inclined to accept, but decided to wait until the AF actually posted.

AF posted today, so contacted via chat again. This time, the agent outright said there was no offer on my account. I was surprised by this, but knew something was missing as the agent never tried to convince me about the benefits of the card before offering to cancel it. Asked her to transfer me to retention dept. She did, and this time, chatted with another agent who went through usual grind of explaining the benefits of the card, asking for future spend pattern, etc. When I said i can't convince myself to pay the AF without a way to recoup at least some value (told them that Uber credit and rest. credits aren't useful for me since I live in remote area). I was offered 30k for 3k spend in 90 days. Asked if they could extend the min. spend duration - no dice. Asked if there was statement credit option instead of MR points - was offered $200 stmt credit for the same spend. I accepted 30k MR point option.

Now, I really didn't want to pay the annual fee of $250 this year (we have had a few high-AF card sign-ups this year, so trying to minimize cash outflow on fees for the rest of the year), so I went ahead and redeemed 25k MR points for a dummy $250 flight (which I will later cancel) through AMEX travel and keep the $250 statement credit. Net outcome of 5k MR points for 3k spend and keeping the account open for another year. Anything I earn from AMEX offers, Uber Credit, and restaurant credits, will be cherry. Also hoping to be targeted for Platinum Upgrade offer next year. The real kicker is that we maxed out the referral bonus points last year (55k), so hoping for the same next year
Congrats on your first post.

With which airline did you book the ticket you are going to cancel? I've had to legitimately cancel an Amex travel booking recently because I ended up flying earlier on a different airline. I must rebook with Amex travel and I'm finding it difficult to do. If I'd be able to use the credit directly with the airline that would be a different story but that's not the case.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Vanilla plat, offered 30k for 3k spend or $300. Declined because I determined that breakeven on going to a Green given my spend patterns + the rebate on annual fee is about 50k points. Spend on the card was trivial for past few months after being upgraded from a Gold.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 26, 2022 at 10:59 am
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Congrats on your first post.

With which airline did you book the ticket you are going to cancel? I've had to legitimately cancel an Amex travel booking recently because I ended up flying earlier on a different airline. I must rebook with Amex travel and I'm finding it difficult to do. If I'd be able to use the credit directly with the airline that would be a different story but that's not the case.
I booked with Air Canada, where I observed that AMEX travel offers the same options as AC's own website (Standard, Flex, Comfort) tickets. Comfort tickets come with free change and cancellations, so I am relying on that. But my intention is to cancel the booking within the 24 hour window. My past experience with AMEX has been that even if you cancel the booking before it is reflected on your account, AMEX will run two separate transactions - first for the booking (and will process point redemption for that) and second for the refund. I have sometimes seen refunds hit the accounts before the actual booking transactions post.

This has always been true when using the Canadian version of AMEX platinum's C$200 hotel credit, so I will report back if it works for US AMEX Gold the same way.

If all fails, I will still have 25k MR points on the account which I can use for future bookings.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Vanilla plat, offered 30k for 3k spend or $300. Declined because I determined that breakeven on going to a Green is about 50k points. Spend on the card was trivial for past few months after being upgraded from a Gold.
If you got an upgrade bonus make sure you keep the card open/ don't downgrade inside 12 month
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

Amex Plat Retention

Final day of 30 day window for Amex Vanilla Plat cancellation. Offered two retentions:
  1. 20k MR for $3k spend in 3 months
  2. $170 statement credit for $3k spend in 3 months
Took the first offer
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by blitzen
If you got an upgrade bonus make sure you keep the card open/ don't downgrade inside 12 month
Yes, I am aware. I literally kept track of the upgrade date and confirmed that I was three days past the calendar year since the upgrade before approving the downgrade with the phone representative.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:51 pm

Biz Plat - Got retention offer of 40k points with $10k spend in 92 days. Not worth it for and the spend is too high considering I just opened a card with $7.5k min spend. Cancelled.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
A few weeks ago, I contacted the Platinum line and while talking about something else, happened to ask when my annual fee would post. Without any other prompt, the agent said that my fee would remain at $595, rather than the current $695.

Fast forward, I was looking at my account and noticed a $695 annual fee posting. Called the Plat line and inquired about this. The CSR said that the agent who offered this was mistaken and for my trouble, she would give me 4K MR. I told her that Amex should honor the promise of their employees, especially since the promise was offered sua sponte. I confirmed that AMEX records their conversations, and suggested they review the tape, to which the agent said she would escalate the case and I would hear something in a few weeks.

Curious...anyone else have this happen?
Originally Posted by mia
It doesn't sound as if it was a promise.
Originally Posted by antonius66
Never had anything like that. I'd say your chances are near 0. You're most likely a lawyer though, so sue them if you think you can win.
Ye of little faith.

Final resolution is much better than expected: $400 retention offer (yes, with 2 zeros) for $4K spend in 90 days. Just to clarify: the $400 offer is a statement credit of $400)

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 27, 2022 at 7:37 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mundadadhiraj
I booked with Air Canada, where I observed that AMEX travel offers the same options as AC's own website (Standard, Flex, Comfort) tickets. Comfort tickets come with free change and cancellations, so I am relying on that. But my intention is to cancel the booking within the 24 hour window. My past experience with AMEX has been that even if you cancel the booking before it is reflected on your account, AMEX will run two separate transactions - first for the booking (and will process point redemption for that) and second for the refund. I have sometimes seen refunds hit the accounts before the actual booking transactions post.

This has always been true when using the Canadian version of AMEX platinum's C$200 hotel credit, so I will report back if it works for US AMEX Gold the same way.

If all fails, I will still have 25k MR points on the account which I can use for future bookings.
Reporting back that this trick has worked. I see the full refund of my AMEX travel flight booking and another statement credit of $250 for the 25k points I had redeemed at the time of booking. All in all, I was successful in achieving my objective of not incurring out of pocket costs to cover annual fee. I also see a note on AMEX's website that if I would like the 25k points reinstated (since the booking was canceled), I have the option of calling them and they can do it for me.
mtimmer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.