Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Do upgrade offers not usually have the "cancel inside a year and we claw back the bonus" language
Unfortunately didn't save the language, but I would imagine you're right!

Originally Posted by Schnit
If you are happy with the 10k then take it.

Otherwise if you wait 1 year from upgrade, you can do that and if you downgrade get 50% of fee back at that time
Thanks for the response.
I will call/chat back and see if any improvement - I really was hoping for an Aspire upgrade offer that hasn't come... so perhaps renew with some retention offer of 10k+ and cross my fingers and toes.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I will call/chat back and see if any improvement - I really was hoping for an Aspire upgrade offer that hasn't come... so perhaps renew with some retention offer of 10k+ and cross my fingers and toes.
I would assume that the current card would need to be 12+ month old before you get an upgrade offer for it
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
AMEX Platinum- $300 or 30K for $4k spend.
accepted- 30K
Biggie Fries likes this.

Last edited by zebranz; Oct 4, 2022 at 11:36 am
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
I tried and was denied any offers as my AF is due Oct 24th of this month on my Platinum card via phone call.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ramz
....denied any offers as my AF is due Oct 24th ....
When did you most recently receive a retention bonus for this card?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Business Platinum

AF due in few days, business retention offer has to chat via webpage using PC but not Amex mobile app. Got offer entire AF back last year.

Offered 35k MR points after 5k spend in 92 days. Accepted.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
When did you most recently receive a retention bonus for this card?
Never have for this card it was my first time trying.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Ramz
I tried and was denied any offers as my AF is due Oct 24th of this month on my Platinum card via phone call.
How much did you spend on this card?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
(9/24/22) Good thinking, wish I had been that smart 10 months ago when (I thought I was so smart and) I accepted a relatively small offer on a 2 month old Biz Plat card during a conversation in which several card offers (or lack thereof) were discussed. Now I’m in the situation of a large AF being billed and no offer due to accepted offer 10 months ago and decision of paying a large AF (for a card of which I have 2 or 3 others with little use beyond minimum spend) or cancelling the card 11 months after receiving a relatively small retention offer. Not sure which is more palatable, paying the fee or accepting the risk.

Teaching point: only discuss and accept retention offers at the approximate time of AF billing. …
I’ve been agonizing about this for a couple of months. Called again today, fortunately got a terrific agent with whom I was able to bond a little based on my retired Navy status and her husband’s Marine Corps service and how we both (almost for me ) still wear our hair IAW military grooming standards. I explained the situation and she offered (what I see as) better options.

I’m loath to pay the “grandfathered” AF of $595 for a card I have no use for and have several other identical cards. I’m almost as loath to close the account 11 months after accepting a retention offer, don’t want to bring additional attention to my account(s). The agent did say that AmEx in general has become a little more strict about the 1 year from retention offer and has been taking back retention offers more frequently in an effort to reduce gaming.

The agent suggested waiting until exactly 1 year from accepted retention offer and then downgrading to a Biz Gold or closing the Biz Plat and opening a Blue Biz Plus or Cash. Either way I would receive a prorated (~5/6, ~$495) refund of the Biz Plat annual fee vice cancellation without downgrade or new account which would not include any AF refund. She did say that changing to biz Gold would not involve a new application and would keep the same account number and include a prorated Biz Gold AF (~5/6 of $295). Changing to Blue Biz Plus or Cash (no AF) would involve applying for (on the phone with her department) a new account and (presumably) upon approval of the new account closing the Biz Plat and receiving the same prorated refund. Both options carry no obligation to keep the new account open for any length of time.

Best I can determine, Biz Gold route would cost ~$100 + ~$250, still not chump change but better than $595, and either Blue Biz route would cost only ~$100.

Any datapoints with downgrading a Biz Plat to Biz Gold or Blue Biz? Given the situation and the Biz Gold route, could I close the Biz Gold within 30 days and get a refund of the Biz Gold AF and if so, would that be as risky as other options?

Teaching point quoted above remains, even more so now.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:37 am

I’ve been agonizing about this for a couple of months. Called again today, fortunately got a terrific agent with whom I was able to bond a little based on my retired Navy status and her husband’s Marine Corps service and how we both (almost for me ) still wear our hair IAW military grooming standards. I explained the situation and she offered (what I see as) better options.

I’m loath to pay the “grandfathered” AF of $595 for a card I have no use for and have several other identical cards. I’m almost as loath to close the account 11 months after accepting a retention offer, don’t want to bring additional attention to my account(s). The agent did say that AmEx in general has become a little more strict about the 1 year from retention offer and has been taking back retention offers more frequently in an effort to reduce gaming.

The agent suggested waiting until exactly 1 year from accepted retention offer and then downgrading to a Biz Gold or closing the Biz Plat and opening a Blue Biz Plus or Cash. Either way I would receive a prorated (~5/6, ~$495) refund of the Biz Plat annual fee vice cancellation without downgrade or new account which would not include any AF refund. She did say that changing to biz Gold would not involve a new application and would keep the same account number and include a prorated Biz Gold AF (~5/6 of $295). Changing to Blue Biz Plus or Cash (no AF) would involve applying for (on the phone with her department) a new account and (presumably) upon approval of the new account closing the Biz Plat and receiving the same prorated refund. Both options carry no obligation to keep the new account open for any length of time.

Best I can determine, Biz Gold route would cost ~$100 + ~$250, still not chump change but better than $595, and either Blue Biz route would cost only ~$100.

Any datapoints with downgrading a Biz Plat to Biz Gold or Blue Biz? Given the situation and the Biz Gold route, could I close the Biz Gold within 30 days and get a refund of the Biz Gold AF and if so, would that be as risky as other options?

Teaching point quoted above remains, even more so now.
If you can cancel and get a prorate refund why switch to gold or blue? Do you need one of them?

Unless the retention off was less than 10,000 points it sounds worth it to just pay the annual fee and get it refunded. Not worth getting flagged by the RAT team and have your account reviewed
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How much did you spend on this card?
I would say close to 12k
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by levilevi
I had the Surpass and Honors cards but never received online/mail offers for an upgrade to an Aspire. I was away from home for a month when my Surpass annual fee posted last year so I called AmEx to check for upgrade offers and explained not being near my mail. They then gave me an upgrade offer to the Aspire (same as standard welcome offer IIRC). I still think the CSR was being generous rather than me being targeted.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Schnit
If you can cancel and get a prorate refund why switch to gold or blue? Do you need one of them? Unless the retention off was less than 10,000 points it sounds worth it to just pay the annual fee and get it refunded. Not worth getting flagged by the RAT team and have your account reviewed
No AF refund at all, prorated or otherwise, with cancellation more than 30 days (exactly 30 per agent today) after AF is billed (posts). No, my only use for these cards is the SUB, certainly do not need another Biz Gold or another Blue Biz. Retention offer accepted when the account was 2 months old was 30,000 MR for $10,000 (unbonused which I was already planning to put on a credit card so in effect 3 MR per $ for otherwise unbonused spend). Getting flagged by the RAT is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No AF refund at all, prorated or otherwise, with cancellation more than 30 days (exactly 30 per agent today) after AF is billed (posts).
This is policy, but practice varies: Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by zebranz
AMEX Platinum- $300 or 30K for $4k spend.
accepted- 30K
Interesting ... P2 just got offered (today) 30K for $3K spend. No $300 offer.

True that 30K points > $300, but a lot of what aches about this card is the cash out of pocket and the need to chase it through monthly credits. With a decent current stake of MR points (and more as far as the eye can see thanks to Amex Business with NLL), the money is almost more tempting.

Also, damn you, Amex -- 30K/$300 is way too close to the indifference point.

Pondering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.