American Express retention offers (2022)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 22, 5:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 22, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
American Express retention offers (2022)

I received $150 statement credit today on my personal platinum for retention offer. I had received 20,000 MR points last January, so this offer was smaller I guess.
Old Jan 1, 22, 10:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by elkhornne View Post
I received $150 statement credit today on my personal platinum for retention offer. I had received 20,000 MR points last January, so this offer was smaller I guess.
Smaller but surprisingly you got one at all as the 13 month between retention offer rule would not allow it.
Maybe this is an old AF - new AF promo retention
Old Jan 1, 22, 12:06 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Agreed. This $150 offer doesn't seem to follow the contemporary Retention Offer pattern, and is similar to the $150 offer that Chase intermittently makes to Sapphire Reserve cardholders. It used to be normal for Retention Offers to have no performance requirements, but now these offers are exceptions.
Old Jan 1, 22, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Smaller but surprisingly you got one at all as the 13 month between retention offer rule would not allow it.
I was surprised also. The chat rep said I received the last one 1/24/21.
Old Jan 1, 22, 1:50 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by thouartgerrard View Post
What do you say to get to the retention offer? Anybody have experience of them just letting you close the card? My annual fee is coming up
"I'm reconsidering keeping XYZ card and I would like to know if there are any offers available on my account."
Old Jan 1, 22, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thouartgerrard View Post
What do you say to get to the retention offer? Anybody have experience of them just letting you close the card? My annual fee is coming up
I used the chat feature and it was much quicker than calling in. I said last year was a little rough and I'm trying to justify keeping the platinum card. I asked if there was any retention offers available.
Old Jan 2, 22, 5:01 am

the $150 is definitely not the normal retention offer. I got mine a couple of days ago and definitely short of 13months.

12/29/2020 Retention 50k MR

12/28/2021Retention $150
Old Jan 2, 22, 6:17 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Gold, Etihad Silver, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, El Al Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by solomiyo View Post
the $150 is definitely not the normal retention offer. I got mine a couple of days ago and definitely short of 13months.

12/29/2020 Retention 50k MR

12/28/2021Retention $150
Also got offered the $150 on a Schwab despite getting 50K back on 12/21/20. Without United, hard to justify even at $400 (I have another Platinum from a 100K upgrade offer from a lesser card) as I don't think I'll be able to use the credit otherwise.
Old Jan 2, 22, 7:13 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Not sure if this is well known or not, but even though it wasn't listed under AMEX Offers, if when logged in you go and click Menu, Cards, and under Personal Cards view all personal cards, there were AU bonuses listed for all of my AMEX branded cards. If you get a retention offer it's a good idea to add an AU to double dip on the spend -- for example I got the 55k for $4k Platinum retention offer and then was able to add a 20k for $2k AU. AU spend counts towards the retention offer as well. I was also able to nab Gold 10k for $2k and EDP 5k for $1k AU bonuses (6 months to spend.)
tobikosan, anyludes and happychic like this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
Also got offered the $150 on a Schwab despite getting 50K back on 12/21/20. Without United, hard to justify even at $400 (I have another Platinum from a 100K upgrade offer from a lesser card) as I don't think I'll be able to use the credit otherwise.
Same here! Super bummed about the UA TB closure I have 5 plats across biz and personal, and the Hilton aspire $1.25k TB gone, fml.
Old Jan 3, 22, 9:24 am

Got the fee waived last year for the Biz Plat which was great. Am wondering what my chances are for this year. If not waived or a reasonable retention offer, I think I will cancel as I did not really get $500 plus of value for the year. Should I downgrade the card or just cancel. I have the Plat personal card and am thinking that if I wanted the Green biz, I would just apply independently in order to earn the opening bonus.
Old Jan 3, 22, 9:49 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by profpeabody View Post
Got the fee waived last year for the Biz Plat which was great. Am wondering what my chances are for this year. ....
Normally American Express will not make two retention offers for the same card in 13 months. You need to lookup when last year's bonus posted, and when your renewal fee will post. You have a month after the statement date to cancel.
anyludes likes this.
Old Jan 3, 22, 3:50 pm

1/3/22 Personal Platinum Card Retention: $400 for spending $3K in 3 months. Accepted.
Old Jan 3, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Personal platinum: $150 statement credit, no spend requirement, happily accepted.
Old Jan 3, 22, 6:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by thefiverivers View Post
Personal platinum: $150 statement credit, no spend requirement, happily accepted.
i have a feeling this is the increased AF offset offer
SCtime likes this.

Search this Thread