Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:47 pm

BBP #1(just opened a second for the 50k SUB/12 month 0% APR). Offered a $50 statement credit with no spending requirement. Took it.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:31 pm

Amex Platinum

Called retention line and was on the phone for 10 minutes. Offered 45k points when I spend $4k in three months. Took the offer.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:47 am

AMEX Biz Gold AF - offered $175 loyalty credit - said I'd think about it (no MR points offered either - I asked). Will definitely cancel if there's no better offers offered
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by lax01
AMEX Biz Gold AF - offered $175 loyalty credit - said I'd think about it (no MR points offered either - I asked). Will definitely cancel if there's no better offers offered
Same offer via chat - no MR offer - cancelled card
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Chatted 3 times before canceling my Platinum card:

1st time - 2 weeks before the AF posted = No offer

2nd time - 2 weeks before full refund = The rep offered me 25k points, but then he rejected the offer at the end of chat. Not sure why he changed his decision.

3rd time - the day before the last day of AF refund
Didn’t ask for a retention offer because I was ready to cancel. The chat rep suggested downgrading to Gold or Green at the beginning of the conversation. After that and ready to close, he offered me 15,000 points if downgrade it to Green and pay $150.
Canceled.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:54 pm

platinum card, used chat in the app. spent about 10minutes on the app with the rep asking me what I liked a out the card and the dollar amount of all the benefits I got this year, but eventually offered 55k points after $4k spend in 3mo. I took it. exactly a year ago+2 days I received and accepted a 45k offer.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Delta Business Plat. First AF came up. Called to cancel card, was not offered a retention bonus but I also did not ask for one. I was disappointed to find the Delta companion cert that came with renewal is quite useless. All the routes I am interested using the cert for only gave me red-eye options, which I do not do. Card closed.

Side q in case anyone here knows: will the companion cert that's already been issued remain in my Delta account?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:28 am

AMEX Platinum. Got hit with $695 AF yesterday..chatted online and got no retention offer. Will close before the 30 days .
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by happychic
Side q in case anyone here knows: will the companion cert that's already been issued remain in my Delta account?
Despite the legalese the rep may have read to you when cancelling, most FT experience with this is that the certificate remains in your account and can be booked using literally any AMEX card (eg does not have to be a DL-branded AMEX)
happychic likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Despite the legalese the rep may have read to you when cancelling, most FT experience with this is that the certificate remains in your account and can be booked using literally any AMEX card (eg does not have to be a DL-branded AMEX)
Thank you.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Dantrav
Called retention line and was on the phone for 10 minutes. Offered 45k points when I spend $4k in three months. Took the offer.
Received same offer on personal Plat today via chat.

Card opened 9/2021 so this is the first anniversary. Spend about $37k including $25k towards SUB for small business multiplier.

Annual fee posted 9/28 but I didn't have the time to ask for retention offer until today. I straight up asked to be transferred to retention department and it was done quickly and seamlessly. Chat rep spent like under 2 minutes listing all the travel benefits most of which we also get via biz plat besides the $200 FHR or HC credit which I can live without. Then was offered 45k points for $4k spend - accepted.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:09 pm

So I got retention offer last year & my fee posted last month. Do I have to wait exactly 365 days from retention offer or I can cancel couple of days before to avoid paying annual fee.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by milesjjcc
So I got retention offer last year & my fee posted last month. Do I have to wait exactly 365 days from retention offer or I can cancel couple of days before to avoid paying annual fee.
You need to wait an entire calendar year or else they will claw back the retention offer. But you have 30 days after the feet hits
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:13 pm

12 Months within Retention Offer is Counted from Points Posting or Offer Acceptance?

So basically, I asked and accepted a retention offer for Vanilla Amex Plat on 2021/10/28 and the bonus points posted on 2021/12/24. The thing is $695 annual fee will be posted on 2022/11/25.

1) So is the 12 months below for the "it" referring to 2021/10/28 or 2021/12/24? As you can see 12/24 is really close to 12/25.. Making me really anxious lol

2) I'm thinking about cancelling it unless there's great retention bonus (which i don't think there is even a retention bonus since it's less than 13 months).

3) Thinking about getting an airline credit in January then downgrade to Green Card if the it refers to 2021/12/24 but I never had Green Card before. This would prevent me from getting sign up bonus for Green Card. But this is better than points being revoked by Amex.

So I'm checking to see what's the view of experts from this forum.. Thanks!

Amex Legalese:
If American Express determines that you have engaged or intend to engage in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the loyalty offer, including if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it or if you return purchases you made to meet the threshold amount, we reserve the right to withhold, freeze, or revoke Membership Rewards Points from your Membership Rewards account and cancel any accounts you have with us.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ChurningGuy
So basically, I asked and accepted a retention offer for Vanilla Amex Plat on 2021/10/28 and the bonus points posted on 2021/12/24. The thing is $695 annual fee will be posted on 2022/11/25.

1) So is the 12 months below for the "it" referring to 2021/10/28 or 2021/12/24? As you can see 12/24 is really close to 12/25.. Making me really anxious lol

2) I'm thinking about cancelling it unless there's great retention bonus (which i don't think there is even a retention bonus since it's less than 13 months).

3) Thinking about getting an airline credit in January then downgrade to Green Card if the it refers to 2021/12/24 but I never had Green Card before. This would prevent me from getting sign up bonus for Green Card. But this is better than points being revoked by Amex.

So I'm checking to see what's the view of experts from this forum.. Thanks!

Amex Legalese:
If American Express determines that you have engaged or intend to engage in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the loyalty offer, including if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it or if you return purchases you made to meet the threshold amount, we reserve the right to withhold, freeze, or revoke Membership Rewards Points from your Membership Rewards account and cancel any accounts you have with us.
12 month from accepting the retention offer
ChurningGuy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.