Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Retention department:
800.452.3945 (After entering your card number you may hear a "no longer in service" type of message -- if this happens, HUCA)
-OR-

Hours: 08:00 - 23:00 Eastern Standard Time
or chat with a Membership Consulting Services Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:30PM ET (7/19 - quoted 8:30 AM to 3:45 PM ET for Amex Business account)

To access chat:
Login to the Amex App, then press the chat icon at top right.
Via the web:
Select "Help" at top right
Select the blue "Live Chat" button.
  • If you product change your Amex, they will prorate the annual fee refund.
  • If you cancel your account completely, you will be refunded the annual fee if within 30 days of the print date of the statement showing the fee. After that, there's no refund.
FT thread for technical issues with chat: Amex (USA) chat function problems [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

American Express retention offers (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Personal platinum renewal fee posted today. I haven't used it much in the last year because I shifted most of my spend to my AA card when they introduced Loyalty Points and let you earn LPs through credit card spending. I was offered 45,000 MR after spending $4,000 in three months. I'm probably going to turn it down—I'm unlikely to travel much in the next 12 months and can't make the numbers work with the non-travel benefits based on how I actually value them. (E.g., I value Uber at the full $200/year as I'd spend that anyway; with most of the others, I'd either not spend it at all or would likely spend less.) I was hoping for some kind of discount on the AF (although I can see that no one seems to get those offers any more). The only annoying thing is working out what to do with the ~80,000 MR points I have left in my account.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
....shifted most of my spend to my AA card when they introduced Loyalty Points ....—I'm unlikely to travel much in the next 12 months...
Is there value to the AA Loyalty Points if not travelling?
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Is there value to the AA Loyalty Points if not travelling?
I was probably a little unclear. I shifted most spend (everything that I wasn't putting on my Platinum for 5x points or for a credit) to my AA card within the last 12 months (since my last Platinum renewal) when I was still traveling a fair amount and valued AA/OW status. I also spent enough for a $150 AA voucher which more than offset the annual fee.

So the answer to your question is "not a lot." That AA card isn't up for renewal until, I think, July, though, so I will keep it until then even if I'm rarely using it. I have various things to consider about what I want my everyday card(s) to be, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:41 pm

One question: If I were to take out the Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum (which I have never held before, so assume I qualify for the bonus), could I transfer my MR points from my vanilla Platinum to the MS one before closing the vanilla? Or, to put it another way, are MR points held at account level or card level?
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
....are MR points held at account level or card level?
Account level. In general, all of your cards will be linked to the same Membership Rewards account, and if not can be done on request.
merlin90 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:05 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant annual fee of $450 hit a few days ago. $15k spend last year, $5k this year. Had the card for 3 years. Chatted to enquire about retention offers. None available. No retention offers last year either. With the conversion of the $300 Marriott credit (used to acquire gift cards in the past) to a restaurant credit (which is a bit more of a pain to remember every month) I will be cancelling. Has anyone had luck with Marriott Bonvoy retention? Is it worth HUCA (Hanging Up and Calling Again)?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:57 pm

It's in account level. But you need at least one card to keep all MR points.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Business:

Started card 10/19; $50 credit in 2020; Spend in previous year approximately $4000; $50 "loyalty bonus". Offer accepted.

Skymiles Platinum:

Oldest account with Amex that has gone between Gold and Platinum over the years (19 years). Greater than $25K spend in last year; Two separate offers; either 15,000 Skymiles for $1000 spend in 3 months or $100 statement credit for $2000 spend in 3 months. Took the miles since that is worth $150.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by guybrush420
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant annual fee of $450 hit a few days ago. $15k spend last year, $5k this year. Had the card for 3 years. Chatted to enquire about retention offers. None available. No retention offers last year either. With the conversion of the $300 Marriott credit (used to acquire gift cards in the past) to a restaurant credit (which is a bit more of a pain to remember every month) I will be cancelling. Has anyone had luck with Marriott Bonvoy retention? Is it worth HUCA (Hanging Up and Calling Again)?
I’ve had the same experience. At $450 and 85k voucher I will keep it for another year and cancel in 2023.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Bonvoy Business amex - no retention offer again this year. But I think I will still keep it for the free night and the 15 nights credit.
Nyet. Amex Bonvoy Biz, 1st renewal. No offer. Cancelled as I am now lifetime Plat now so no need for EQN. Thought about keeping for 35k certs which were useful during pandemic, but increasingly useless now as rates are rising.

Maybe should have HUCA as online was unable to assist and I was transferred several times by phone.

Originally Posted by wmaciej
I’ve had the same experience. At $450 and 85k voucher I will keep it for another year and cancel in 2023.
Leaning this way - would be an easy call with the old $300 hotel credit that could be used in one shot. However I really despise the coupon book monthly dining credits which are a PITA, so I may yet cancel as I don't need the EQN, GE, Priority Pass or any of the other "perks"
Old Dec 8, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Leaning this way - would be an easy call with the old $300 hotel credit that could be used in one shot. However I really despise the coupon book monthly dining credits which are a PITA, so I may yet cancel as I don't need the EQN, GE, Priority Pass or any of the other "perks"
Or renew and after the cert posts etc. downgrade the card
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
hilton aspire - no retention offer this year. I think i opened this in 2018.. first time no retention offer. Will still keep because easily "$50 profit" + free wknd cert
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:28 am

green - year 2 / first retention fishing

15k MR initial offer, pressed for cash and finally got $100 statement credit. same spending - 1.5k over 3 months. rather cash to keep net AF low, really dont use it too much to justify the 150 to begin with. too many other cards with lounge benefit.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by blitzen
Or renew and after the cert posts etc. downgrade the card
Is there anything to downgrade the Marriott card to?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Is there anything to downgrade the Marriott card to?
They offered to downgrade mine to a Bonvoy $95 AF card
Think that is one of the cards you can only product change to, but it is not available for new applications
wmaciej and Illinwu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.