Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
Aspire
10/26 - $100
10/27 - $100
10/28 - $50
11/1 -$100 credit
Meter at $200, assume $100 will post 11/3
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by fujiteam
Aspire
10/26 - $100
10/27 - $100
10/28 - $50
11/1 -$100 credit
Meter at $200, assume $100 will post 11/3
Just an FYI, for the Aspire you can do $250 in one transaction and you will get the credit.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by BravoBuster
Aspire Card - selected UA, waited 24hrs, was denoted on AmEx site.
​​​​​​Purchased $250 via Travelbank, which posted May 31st. No credit as of June 3rd. Will keep this updated, but not looking good...​
did you ever get your credit?
why does the wiki say to wait 24 hours after selecting UA to purchase travelbank? I chose UA and it's showing on AMEX right away as my selected airline and I got an email from AMEX confirming the same.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
why does the wiki say to wait 24 hours after selecting UA to purchase travelbank?
A fraction of people who don't wait consistently report not getting credits. It's possible some settings do not update instantaneously in all channels -- even when you see your visible selection being correct.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:03 am

opened the Aspire card few days before October 28th,
signed up for UA on October 28th at 5:00 pm

purchased $250 travelbank on October 29th (it was a Saturday)
not sure if I waited the 24 hours.

it is November 4th 7 am and the meter has not moved

i should have waited longer
will Update

UPDATE: meter moved for $250 credit “Congratulations! You have earned all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year. “ On November 4th
manbuckets likes this.

Last edited by Wolf35; Nov 4, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by Wolf35
Look at your American Express account to verify that the selection registered.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Look at your American Express account to verify that the selection registered.

Yep I checked that before I purchased the travelbank. i also got the email that I was registered for UA before I purchased the travel bank. I’ll wait until next week and update.
mia likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
A fraction of people who don't wait consistently report not getting credits. It's possible some settings do not update instantaneously in all channels -- even when you see your visible selection being correct.
Good to know. So is the general consensus 1 business day should be fine to wait or should I wait longer? (made the selection of UA on 11/3/22 around 9pm PDT). Always paranoid that the TB credit won't work anymore with AMEX and I'll be stuck.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
... So is the general consensus 1 business day should be fine to wait or should I wait longer?
One day may be enough to eliminate most such problems, and 2 days will provide an extra safety margin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Wolf35
opened the Aspire card few days before October 28th,

purchased $250 travelbank on October 29th (it was a Saturday)
not sure if I waited the 24 hours.

it is November 4th 7 am and the meter has not moved

i should have waited longer
will Update
Update: the meter moved on November 4th , received the $250 credit
mia likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:46 pm

Hi folks,
I purchased the $250 travelbank on October 29th.
Under rewards and benefits I see "Congratulations! You have earned all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year."
I haven't received the reimbursement yet though. Anybody know when I should expect to receive it?

Thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by ilovetochurnandburnbaby
Anybody know when I should expect to receive it?
It has probably already "posted" to your account, but the website is not updated continuously. You should see it by Monday.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

It has probably already "posted" to your account, but the website is not updated continuously. You should see it by Monday.
Sounds good, will update y'all on Monday.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA
Made 2 $100 travelbank purchases on October 28th and credits posted on Nov. 3rd.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:03 am

$100 travel bank purchase on 10/31. It's 11/5 and still no credit. Meter hasn't moved.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I had done a mid-year switch from Alaska to United as the designated airline, and got the confirmation email for that on 10/26. [edit]

Last edited by gasongasoff; Nov 5, 2022 at 2:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.