Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
would one consider this something that can be argued with amex for credit? Looking to change a flight with a fare difference. TIA.
For UA small airfare charges are neither officially qualifying nor a loophole. There's no reason to expect a credit.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
For UA small airfare charges are neither officially qualifying nor a loophole. There's no reason to expect a credit.
Thank you! I will use another card to cover the fare difference
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by travelbugging
would one consider this something that can be argued with amex for credit? Looking to change a flight with a fare difference. TIA.
Originally Posted by MaxVO
these did trigger the credit for years, but that stopped about 2 years ago. Definitely nothing here to argue.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
The wiki says "Seat assignment fees (E+)" but doesn't specify how they have to be purchased. Can I select preferred or E+ seats at time of booking? Or do I need to do it after?
Every time I bought airfare with UA and upgraded to E+ at booking, the E+ upsell came through as a separate charge.
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Q1 Looking at a pending travelbank purchase, but it says "United Electronic Ticketing". It's just pending right now, so I guess we'll see, but all past purchases just say "United Airlines." Should I expect a hickup?
Edit: Looks like it should be fine according to #770, #784 above.

Q2 Also, anything afoul of charging this after the statement fee hit if I plan on canceling in 29 days?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by eddieflyer
Q1 Looking at a pending travelbank purchase, but it says "United Electronic Ticketing". It's just pending right now, so I guess we'll see, but all past purchases just say "United Airlines." Should I expect a hickup?
Edit: Looks like it should be fine according to #770, #784 above.
Always worked fine for me
Q2 Also, anything afoul of charging this after the statement fee hit if I plan on canceling in 29 days?
Depends on how much you value your relationship with AMEX. If you do it once you are probably fine, but do it often you arent. Make sure its for a card member benefit, not a calendar year benefit though!

Last edited by mia; Jul 18, 2022 at 8:43 am Reason: Redact reply to cross-posted question.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:22 am

Hi All,

Just signed up for Amex Plat Personal card and was considering going this route with United for the $200 Airline credit - I assume TB purchase trick is still working? My question is, I I end up using the TB funds in conjunction with the Plat card will this in anyway negatively impact the travel related protections that come with the card? The United ticket will be ~$9k (roundtrip family trip to South Africa in PE) so the $200 will only be covering a small portion of the entire trip cost. It'll be nice to use it but not at the expense of losing out on the travel protections on the card if that is a possibility?

I would appreciate any DPs or thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titantium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Amex plat
purchased 7/25 $200 (2x100)
Posted 7/26
Meter moved 7/28
Reimbursed 7/28

Last edited by left_arm; Aug 13, 2022 at 7:24 pm
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:54 pm

Hilton Aspire
Test Purchase 7/26 $50
Benefit Meter - Pending

Post - Pending
Statement Credit - Pending
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
Hi All,

Just signed up for Amex Plat Personal card and was considering going this route with United for the $200 Airline credit - I assume TB purchase trick is still working? My question is, I I end up using the TB funds in conjunction with the Plat card will this in anyway negatively impact the travel related protections that come with the card? The United ticket will be ~$9k (roundtrip family trip to South Africa in PE) so the $200 will only be covering a small portion of the entire trip cost. It'll be nice to use it but not at the expense of losing out on the travel protections on the card if that is a possibility?

I would appreciate any DPs or thoughts?

Thanks!
Yes travel bank is still working, but only the portion charged to your Amex would be covered in the case of a reimbursement
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by left_arm
Yes travel bank is still working, but only the portion charged to your Amex would be covered in the case of a reimbursement
Thanks! So are you saying that if I used $200 from travel bank and rest on Amex plat - in the event I have a covered claim with Amex plat travel insurance for refund I would forfeit the $200 I paid from travel bank but it won't necessarily invalidate the travel protections provided by the card?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
Thanks! So are you saying that if I used $200 from travel bank and rest on Amex plat - in the event I have a covered claim with Amex plat travel insurance for refund I would forfeit the $200 I paid from travel bank but it won't necessarily invalidate the travel protections provided by the card?
So, I might be crossing how much they'll refund with other warranty services, but now I've re-read your question and I'm guessing you're also asking about the trip delay insurance, etc. From the Amex terms:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...500_6hours.pdf
A. To get coverage:
You must charge the full amount of a Covered Trip to your Eligible Card or in combination with your Eligible Card and accumulated points on your Eligible Card or redeemable certificates, vouchers, coupons, or discounts awarded from a frequent flyer program or similar program.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:04 pm

Personal Aspire $250
07/22 - Changed airline to UA via chat. Was told I did not need to wait to purchase (who knows though.)
07/22 - Bought a single $250 travel voucher, transaction posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" on 07/23
07/25 - Received $250 airline fee credit

Personal Plat $200
07/22 - Changed airline to UA via chat.
07/22 - Bought 2x $100 travel vouchers, transaction posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" on 07/23
07/25 - Received 2x $100 airline fee credit
Interestingly the transaction details show it as a flight from Chicago to Chicago:

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:19 pm

Personal Platinum

Sat 7/23: Used online chat to switch to UA.
Mon 7/25: Purchased 2x $100 United TravelBank cash. Pending purchase from "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG".
Wed 7/27: Purchase posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" and shows "Special Service Ticket" in the transaction details.
Thu 7/28: Benefits page shows $200 earned for the calendar year.
Fri 7/29: 2x $100 reimbursements received dated 7/28
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:45 am

Update

Hilton Aspire
Test Purchase 7/26 $50
Benefit Meter - 7/30 Moved to $50

Post - 7/30 Will appear on your Aug 23 statement as UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX
Statement Credit - Pending 8/23 Statement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.