Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
i hate how amex cards always have the same last 4 digits and UA tech is too stupid to see the difference.

"This card has already been added to your account. Please update the information below to add a new card."
They don't "always" but I have also had the issue some of the time so I need to remove the old card which is anyway used already and add the new one. Yes, it's an extra hassle, but it is what it is.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i hate how amex cards always have the same last 4 digits and UA tech is too stupid to see the difference.

"This card has already been added to your account. Please update the information below to add a new card."
Originally Posted by friedablass
They don't "always" but I have also had the issue some of the time so I need to remove the old card which is anyway used already and add the new one. Yes, it's an extra hassle, but it is what it is.
Also, if you are bothered by two of your Amex cards having the same last 4 digits, you can get Amex to give you a new card for one of those accounts with a new number (which will have the last 4 digits as 200x instead of 100x) if you give you valid reason for replacing it (such as saying you misplaced the card).
SPN Lifer and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
... if you give you valid reason for replacing
To qualify for a number change, the reason must imply that the old number is compromised. If we claim that the old card is damaged or defective, the replacement will come with the same account number (except the CID).
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:21 pm

Longtime listener, first time caller.

Hilton Aspire
Aug 9 - chose UA as airline, refreshed desktop webpage to verify selection
Aug 9 - $250 Travel Bank purchase made
Aug 12 - $250 credit received
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by duvet
Longtime listener, first time caller.

Hilton Aspire
Aug 9 - chose UA as airline, refreshed desktop webpage to verify selection
Aug 9 - $250 Travel Bank purchase made
Aug 12 - $250 credit received
nice. single 250 charge? happy u didnt do 100 x 2 / 50 x 1 cuz no reason to.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:56 pm

nice. single 250 charge? happy u didnt do 100 x 2 / 50 x 1 cuz no reason to.
Yes, single TravelBank $250 since this is the Aspire. (Platinum I could see the reason for 2 x $100, but in my case that I've already burned through that credit organically this year through business travel)
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:04 pm

AMEX Platinum - $100 charged to Travel Bank on 8/15
AMEX Platinum Business - $100 charged to Travel Bank on 8/15
AMEX Aspire - $100 charged to Travel Bank on 8/15

Still waiting for credits to post...
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk

Originally Posted by benjur
Still waiting for credits to post...
The clock starts running when the transactions post, not while they are pending. When did you designate UA as your airline for this benefit?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:52 pm

These posted yesterday. I designated UA on the 15th (for Aspire and everything else has been UA).
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AMEX Plat, Aeroplan 25k
Hilton Aspire
Aug 17 - $50 Travel Bank purchase
Aug 20 - $50 Credit Received
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:47 am

Purchased $100x2 TravelBank on Platinum. Both charges showed up but after a week or so one of them stayed pending then disappeared. The other posted and I got the $100 reimbursement. Now on my United account I have $200 TravelBank but only $100/$200 used on airline reimbursement on Platinum. This ever happened to anyone? It has now been 15 days since I purchased the TravelBank credits.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:18 am

Another Data Point

Hilton Aspire
Aug 21 - $250 Travel Bank Purchase
Aug 25 - $250 Credit Received
friedablass likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 5:02 pm

First time for me trying this. I had not selected an airline, so went ahead and chose United on August 25. Having received the on-screen confirmation that my selection was in effect, I went ahead and made 2 x $100 Travel Bank purchases within 1-2 minutes of making the airline selection. Tracker on the Amex site updated the following day, showing that I had used my $200 airline fee benefit. The charges finalized the day after that, and the credits were posted on August 28.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by ABZSimy
First time for me trying this. ...
Congratulations. They say the first time is the hardest !
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:09 pm

So I selected UA as my airline, and 2 days later purchased $100 travel bank. Looking at my Amex app now, it looks like I'll earn 5x MR and it's categorized it as airfare. Seems like this didn't work for me and I won't get the credit .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.