Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I’ve often thought that all these (affirmative) data points are redundant and unnecessary. However, more recently I’ve come to appreciate them
I agree - it seems a little chatty in the thread, but it's nice to take a quick peek right before a TB purchase to make sure there have been some positive DPs super-recently... just in case Amex pulls the plug
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Bought two day passes to United Club at LAX, no issue with reimbursement a few days later. Hooray. Only $6 went unused this year!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:33 pm

Bought 2 $100 travelbank credits 11/23, reimbursed 11/29

i also find the reports useful since it’s nice to see something within the last few weeks post. This saved me back when southwest GC stopped working and I was about to pull the trigger.

Of course there could be a system to automate/consolidate the reports.
Dr Jabadski and butlerm like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:15 pm

Couldn’t we still achieve that if people only post failures?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:21 pm

I'm on the side of this forum working just fine as it is. The steady flow of DP's and ideas also helped the discovery of our favorite loopholes and off-label use of benefits. And there's always the Wiki to make sure that the important stuff does not get overlooked.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:07 pm

I agree! As a noob to the forum and new Amex Plat holder and frequent flier between 2 United Hubs - this thread is hugely helpful, fun and makes my $695 an absolute no brainer!!
sdsearch, Dr Jabadski and MaxVO like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by rrgg
Because then you'd have a bunch of false alarms of it not working. And who knows if a member would actually wind up coming back to update the community.

This way, positive data points provide an automatic reassurance vs constant worry something was wrong.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by rrgg
As the instigator on Nov 29 (above) of discussion about this topic, add my vote (again) for continuing to post affirmative (arguably redundant repetitive recurring unnecessary superfluous) datapoints. I agree with the following quotes.
Originally Posted by Spedinfargo
… make sure … positive DPs … recently...
Originally Posted by firlloigjrilwl
… nice to see something within the last few weeks ...
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
…bunch of false alarms of it not working … who knows if … update the community…
positive data points … automatic reassurance ...
gasongasoff likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:13 pm

Bought 2 x $100 TravelBank credits Nov 23
Reimbursed Nov 29
gasongasoff likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
... add my vote (again)
That won't count, but I know where you got the idea
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, and Mileage Plus
2 x $100 TravelBank purchase on 11/25
2 x $100 Amex Statement credit on 12/2

Another successful datapoint.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 7:58 am

UA Travelvank data point:

Purchased 100 USD x2 on November 26
Credit received on December 2
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:41 pm

Is the credit only work for $100 purchases now? I only have $50 left and any DPs on working for $50?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by karma310
Is the credit only work for $100 purchases now? I only have $50 left and any DPs on working for $50?
It did work for me in the past. I believe it should work.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by karma310
Why would you think that? People just use $100 increments for their $200 credit or $250 if it is $250.
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.