Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Getting two nights at the Sofitel Wellington for $30/night net of credit. We're doing a private homestay for the rest of this trip so no other great use of the hotel credit.
MaxVO and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:20 pm

Thinking about taking a mini vacation to Disney at the end of September. If I use the Amex platinum for the swan resort for 3 nights, I should get the 200 hotel credit correct? And also the 100 dollar experience credit at the resort as well, I assume for a breakfast or a dinner? Thank you
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:45 pm

You are right but it's showing only available as The Hotel Collection. searched in late Sep and if you check the Fine Hotels box only then it doesn't show up. It does show up if you check the Hotel Collection box. So I'm guessing only the $100 experience credit. I hope I'm wrong. You can call Amex too to find out. https://www.amextravel.com/hotel-searches/161680703

Last edited by bluedog44; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:08 pm Reason: adding
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluedog44
....I'm guessing only the $100 experience credit. ....
Why? The $200 credit offer applies to The Hotel Collection stays of two or more nights.

You can earn up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when you use an eligible U.S. Consumer Basic Platinum or Additional Platinum Card to pay for eligible prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Card) or when you use an eligible Additional Gold Card on such Platinum Card Account to pay for eligible prepaid bookings for The Hotel Collection made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Card). Fine Hotels + Resorts® program bookings may be made only by eligible U.S. Consumer Basic Platinum and Additional Platinum Card Members. The Hotel Collection bookings may be made by eligible U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card Members and Additional Gold Card Members on the Platinum Card Account. Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members are not eligible for the benefit. To receive the statement credits, an eligible Card Member must make a new booking using their eligible Card through American Express Travel on or after July 1st, 2021, that is prepaid (referred to as "Pay Now" on amextravel.com and the Amex App), for a qualifying stay at an available, participating Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection property. Bookings of The Hotel Collection require a minimum stay of two consecutive nights. Purchases by both the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on the Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will not exceed $200 on the Card Account per calendar year. Eligible bookings must be processed before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year. American Express relies on the merchant to process transactions within the same calendar year that you made the prepaid booking in order to apply the statement credit in the calendar year that it was intended. For example, if you make an eligible prepaid booking on the last day of the year, but the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, then the statement credit available in the next calendar year will be applied to the Card Account, if the purchase is eligible. Statement credits may not be received or may be reversed if the booking is cancelled or modified. Eligible bookings do not include interest charges, cancellation fees, property fees or other similar fees, or any charges by a property to you (whether for your booking, your stay or otherwise). Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible charge is posted to the Card Account for the applicable statement credits to be posted to the Card Account. Call the number on the back of your eligible Card if statement credits have not posted by that time.To be eligible for this benefit, your Card account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible, you will not receive the statement credits. For example, your transaction will not be eligible if it is a booking: (i) made with a property not included in the Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection programs, (ii) not made through American Express Travel, or (iii) not made with an eligible Card. Participating properties and their availability are subject to change. If American Express, in its sole discretion, determines that you have engaged in or intend to engage in any manner of abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this benefit, American Express will not have an obligation to provide and may reverse any statement credits provided to you.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Are the rates required to be non-refundable?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Are the rates required to be non-refundable?
The rates must be prepaid, but such rates are not necessarily non-refundable.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

I think you're right. You'd get the $200 credit but you would only get The Hotel Collection benefits, which are diff from the Fine Hotels set.

Last edited by bluedog44; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:01 pm

i have FHR for stay on 9/4/2022 which i booked 12/2021 and also got the credit posted to my account. The reservation can be cancelled free before 9/2/2022. I am thinking of changing the reservation to a different date? what are my options here? has anyone done this before without losing the credit already got?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by nani9684
...I am thinking of changing the reservation to a different date? what are my options here? has anyone done this
before without losing the credit already got?
Any transaction on AmEx Travel involves risk. I suspect the risk is lower if no human at AmEx Travel has any reason to touch the reservation. If I had to make a change, I would first create a replacement "Trip", then cancel the old one. But I haven't seen detailed DP's showing that it's safe.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:30 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO
....I suspect the risk is lower if no human at AmEx Travel has any reason to touch the reservation. ....
I think the risk here is that if the original booking used the 2021 $200 credit, and if cancellation automatically reverses the credit, it will no longer be available.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think the risk here is that if the original booking used the 2021 $200 credit, and if cancellation automatically reverses the credit, it will no longer be available.
yeah the reservation was made using 2021 credit. i would like to know if its possible to change the date of the reservation without losing the 2021 credit.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nani9684
yeah the reservation was made using 2021 credit. i would like to know if its possible to change the date of the reservation without losing the 2021 credit.
It is not possible through Amex Travel. However, you may want to contact the hotel and see if they would like you apply the credit towards another date.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:55 pm

for those who have made a booking once, received the $200 amex credit, then cancelled the booking, and have it clawed back automatically

- when you made a new booking, within the same calendar year, did the $200 amex credit post automatically again? or do you have to manually request this credit?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gnomey
for those who have made a booking once, received the $200 amex credit, then cancelled the booking, and have it clawed back automatically

- when you made a new booking, within the same calendar year, did the $200 amex credit post automatically again? or do you have to manually request this credit?
Yes, automatic
gnomey likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If I apply now, use the 2022 and 2023 credit and then cancel it, will the 2023 credit be clawed back, or is it purely "calendar year" with no regards to how many years of card ownership?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.