Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by synzero
As for Uber you've mentioned multiple times the gift cards are discounted 15% - where?
Digital cards routinely go on sale on various sites (gcgalore.com is a good resource for staying in the know).

And when they're not, you can always get them for a permanent 4-6% off from apps like Bitmo, so at the very least it should be discounted by that much. But then we can factor in 3X on CSR or Amex Green on a full-fledged Uber charge vs. the 1-2X earn on the Bitmo charge & 4-6% savings, but that's a whole different rabbit hole to go down.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by moe8555; Jul 1, 2021 at 4:48 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by moe8555
Digital cards routinely go on sale on various sites (gcgalore.com is a good resource for staying in the know).

And when they're not, you can always get them for a permanent 4-6% off from apps like Bitmo, so at the very least it should be discounted by that much. But then we can factor in 3X on CSR or Amex Green on a full-fledged Uber charge vs. the 1-2X earn on the Bitmo charge & 4-6% savings, but that's a whole different rabbit hole to go down.
You can get 12.5% off Uber cards all the time when you purchase via the Slide app, TopCashBack portal, with an Altitude Reserve and Apple Pay.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Wait a minute 10x on restaurants and small businesses???
"Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership."
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:48 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synzero
You clearly didn't read my post (which is fine, you're under no obligation to do so), but I already changed my valuation of the entertainment credit to $0.

As for Uber you've mentioned multiple times the gift cards are discounted 15% - where? I don't see any easily accessible public offer for that. If you mean a physical gift card then it's useless to me, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a physical gift card.

As for the post you linked to, he values the Uber credit at $100 because he says he doesn't use Uber that much. He doesn't mention anything about the 15% discount you have mentioned.

He's also wrong that the airline credit is gone: it is staying, so that doesn't factor into his calculation.
I’m just saying that his philosophy makes sense:

“I recommend looking at each of the annual credits and major perks and asking yourself: if I could pay separately for a subscription to this thing, how much would I pay? The answer should never be face value: you would never pay $240 in advance to get $240 in entertainment credits spread out $20 per month, would you? I hope not. You’d only pay in advance if you could get a substantial discount.“

No one would buy a coupon book of $700 credits for $700. It doesn’t make sense to value them at face.

You can buy discounted Uber gift cards everywhere as a few other people here have pointed out. There’s also an Amazon promotion right now offering a 15% discount on up to $10,000 using EATS as the promo code.

Also, no idea where you’re getting that he discounted the Uber eats credit because he doesn’t use it very much. Literally the first sentence in his Uber eats section lol:

I use Uber and Uber Eats often enough that I’ll probably use the full $200 in credit each year”

He is discounting the credits due to the prepayment. Paying for something upfront in the market has concrete economic value.

Ie Uber selling gift cards at a discount or Disney+ giving 2 months free if you buy the subscription in advance

Airline credit thing: is was a post on the rumors lol. I think that’s pretty clear from the article?
ck8 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:08 am

Be careful with the new offers. Schwab / Morgan Stanley cards no longer appear to be considered separate products for AmEx bonus eligibility.

"Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or previous versions of the Platinum Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility."
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
No one would buy a coupon book of $700 credits for $700. It doesn’t make sense to value them at face.
Some people are convincing themselves that they would. In fact, I think Credit One should offer all the same credits on a "Coupon Card+" for $650, and see how many takers there are.
GUWonder, notquiteaff and m907 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:34 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MojoGuru
Some people are convincing themselves that they would. In fact, I think Credit One should offer all the same credits on a "Coupon Card+" for $650, and see how many takers there are.
Lol, it’s insane how people value these credits at face. Amex and Chase are so good at marketing to consumers…
Maine2LA, notquiteaff, ck8 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:43 am

Wow, I didn’t expect these offers to be so limited.

I’d value the hotel credit at $140 since I’ll use it but it’s tough to say whether I’d normally book through their hotel programs.

Entertainment credits / equinox / Clear - I’d pay $50 for this on it’s own, I don’t pay for any of this currently so it doesn’t seem like much of a value. Incredibly disappointing that the entertainment credit is limited to a couple subscriptions, this would have way more value if it was open to Spotify and Apple subscriptions.

Uber - $160 - I do use the full amount every month.
Saks - $80 - I do use it and don’t have to go out of my way
Airline Incidentals - $100 - Enormous pain to use

I feel like I’m to the point of paying $400 /year for lounge access for me and my wife.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Had a hard time justifying the old fee - the only new benefit that I would partially use is for the NYT > card will be a non renewal when the year is over
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Lol, it’s insane how people value these credits at face. Amex and Chase are so good at marketing to consumers…
I know you shouldn't value them at face value technically, but all of Amex' recent credits (Saks, Uber, Equinox, Entertainment) offset spending I was doing pre-credit anyway, so for me, they pretty much are full value. The credits I never valued at face are stuff like the airline credit (the new hotel credit also fits into this)

For me, you have a $695 fee card, which is offset by Equinox/Uber/Saks/NYT credits, Centurion access (I don't count Delta or Priority Pass access because I get that from different cards), Hilton Gold, 5x airfare and FHR, and the full suite of AMEX consumer protections. For me the card seems well worth it.
exlibris likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is pretty underwhelming to me. Equinox, if I still was living in NYC and had my membership, that's one thing but it's useless to me now. The $240 entertainment credit is a bust, and the $200 hotel/FHR credit is still not worth much as those hotels are generally more than I spend on cash stays anyway. The only new benefit I can see myself actually using is CLEAR and even that I wouldn't pay retail for, which is $109 for me. At least my MS Plat renews in December, so I guess I have a while before I start paying for these.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Starting with the biggest minus: Equinox - couldn't add a more useless "benefit" I'm afraid.

​​​​I'm a heavy audiobook guy, so the Entertainment Credit means that I can shift some spending I was going to do there to a couple of books a month at Audible to Amex Plat.

I actually use the airline credit for some tickets, EMS seats, baggage fees, etc with Jet Blue.

I have been spending (I believe) $99 for Clear as a DL card holder. So, a decent offset on the higher fee.

I understand that FHR does​​​ come with Elite benefits (stay credit), at least in some cases?

They could've done away with Saks​​​ for me, but I do use it as it's there.
eneq likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:07 am

These benefits are not anything that I would normally pay for, except perhaps the hotel credit in a normal year. Really disappointing.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is pretty underwhelming to me. Equinox, if I still was living in NYC and had my membership, that's one thing but it's useless to me now. The $240 entertainment credit is a bust, and the $200 hotel/FHR credit is still not worth much as those hotels are generally more than I spend on cash stays anyway. The only new benefit I can see myself actually using is CLEAR and even that I wouldn't pay retail for, which is $109 for me. At least my MS Plat renews in December, so I guess I have a while before I start paying for these.
I don't get it. I can't use it on Marriott or Hyatt properties?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
I don't get it. I can't use it on Marriott or Hyatt properties?
In most cases, no. THC and FHR are a limited subset of hotels. That's probably why Amex did it this way, as opposed to it being a $200 Amex Travel credit that could be used on any air/hotel.

Just as an example, I searched for a trip I'm taking to Denver next month. The 2 days I searched, The Hotel Collection had 0 results, and FHR had 4, the least expensive being $239/nt (which is cheaper than I expected, but its a Hilton).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.