FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriot Gold
I was in the lounge on Wednesday. From 2:00 to 4:30 PM

Lounge was not very crowded. Plenty of seating upstairs and downstairs. The crowded area was the speakeasy actually.

For having a lot of square footage, the way the lounge is designed, it doesn't really seem like a large lounge, at least to me.

Food - Brisket was very good. The gnocchi was very good as well. The yogurt parfait was great. It was a good meal. No complaints.

Bartender in the speakeasy was friendly. Makes a great drink.

Staff down stairs didn't have much to do as very few were seated down stairs. We had our first meal upstairs and then moved downstairs and ate again and had a drink. I like it downstairs actually.

One note to be careful about: We were flying delta on a basic economy ticket. Delta put on our tickets seats assigned at gate making us appear as standby. The lady checking me in gave me a bit of a hard time. Questioned if I worked for Delta, not having a seat. Not connecting. So I had to show her my first leg of the flight and while she may not have still been convinced, I was able to enter which was the right thing. So at least at this lounge, they may question you if you have a ticket like that from Delta. I've not experienced that with other airlines.

Finding the lounge, when you exit the plane, you do need to go up one level to get to the lounge.

Hope they can keep this lounge clean. Already seeing some wear and tear in some seating areas.

For the most part, friendly staff.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:16 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Where is the entrance? Downstairs or upstairs? I do not know there are two levels.... Even the same level has plenty empty seats.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
Where is the entrance? Downstairs or upstairs? I do not know there are two levels.... Even the same level has plenty empty seats.
Entrance is in the upper of the two levels. It’s right next to the Etihad lounge and the fourth floor of T4.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Entrance is in the upper of the two levels. It’s right next to the Etihad lounge and the fourth floor of T4.
I was in a rush, so I did not pay attention. I recall it was still some walk after the security.

The time it took from T4 to T5 was horrendous. Not sure how long it takes to walk outside by foot.

Great info.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
I was in a rush, so I did not pay attention. I recall it was still some walk after the security.

The time it took from T4 to T5 was horrendous. Not sure how long it takes to walk outside by foot.

Great info.
I timed myself and it took about 10 minutes from the Centurion to T5 check-in on foot — one annoying thing though is the path takes you to the arrivals/baggage claim level, but there’s only one escalator / set of elevators to departures — which is on the T7/AirTrain side of T5, which basically means you still have to walk from one end of the terminal to the other. Also of course the PreCheck line is on the other side of the check-in area (closer to T4), so then you end up backtracking again.

But that said even with all the walking you do have certainty in terms of how long it’ll take you vs waiting for the AirTrain (and the walk from the AirTrain station to T5 proper is pretty long too)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by truncated
I timed myself and it took about 10 minutes from the Centurion to T5 check-in on foot — one annoying thing though is the path takes you to the arrivals/baggage claim level, but there’s only one escalator / set of elevators to departures — which is on the T7/AirTrain side of T5, which basically means you still have to walk from one end of the terminal to the other. Also of course the PreCheck line is on the other side of the check-in area (closer to T4), so then you end up backtracking again.

But that said even with all the walking you do have certainty in terms of how long it’ll take you vs waiting for the AirTrain (and the walk from the AirTrain station to T5 proper is pretty long too)
Yes. the walk from AirTrain to T5 was longer than expected. I do not fly JFK very often. Also, they had a late gate change. Good practice to manage the time. I think I still like the AirTrain and it saves the wheels of the luggage.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have an international flight from JFK that departs at 10:30 pm. I want to arrive at the airport much earlier due to PCR testing. I'm aware of the 3 hr rule, but do you think I can enter the lounge at 6:30 pm? The Centurion Lounge closes at 8 pm, so I would only be getting a 90 minute use of it anyway.

I tried to contact the CL directly to inquire, but was told by an Amex CSR there isn't a direct number. I was told that it would be at the discretion of the manager on duty, but they are strict.

I would like to see what are others' experiences with this
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cat88L3
I have an international flight from JFK that departs at 10:30 pm. I want to arrive at the airport much earlier due to PCR testing. I'm aware of the 3 hr rule, but do you think I can enter the lounge at 6:30 pm? The Centurion Lounge closes at 8 pm, so I would only be getting a 90 minute use of it anyway.

I tried to contact the CL directly to inquire, but was told by an Amex CSR there isn't a direct number. I was told that it would be at the discretion of the manager on duty, but they are strict.

I would like to see what are others' experiences with this
From what I know, the lounge agents do follow the procedure. So you can try your luck. I'd say it is 50/50.

If you can get test done before lounge time that would be perfect. T-4 is international terminal, so you do not need to cross skywalk and TSA again. Those are big pluses due to the current TSA situation.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I've got a LGA-JFK 4hr connection next week (all on the same ticket). Any idea if the JFK Centurion Lounge will consider me as a connecting passenger in this instance (for purposes of accessing the lounge more than 3hrs before departure)?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:48 pm

Is the Centurion Lounge at JFK better than the Delta SkyClub?
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by m907
Some discussion in the DL forum: Skyclub JFK vs Amex Centurion Lounge?
krazykanuck, m907 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I've got a LGA-JFK 4hr connection next week (all on the same ticket). Any idea if the JFK Centurion Lounge will consider me as a connecting passenger in this instance (for purposes of accessing the lounge more than 3hrs before departure)?

-FlyerBeek
Stopped in on a quick JFK connection and had the chance to ask about my LGA-JFK connection later this week. Was told that a LGA-JFK connection would absolutely not qualify for entry more than 3hrs prior to departure - even when on the same ticket/reservation. Must be connecting in the same airport - not a co-termimal connection - to qualify for earlier entry as a regular Platinum cardholder.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
Sorry, I am a novice traveler but if I understand your itinerary you are (1) flying from your origin to LGA, (2) taking a taxi (or whatever) from LGA to JFK, and then (3) flying from JFK to your ultimate destination? If I have got that right then I do not believe you can get early access to the Centurion at JFK.

Here is the language from the AMEX Centurion Lounge website (with my emphasis added)

We will admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of confirmed connecting flight (connections pertain to same airport). A connecting flight is one that requires passengers to change from one aircraft to another at a hub airport on the way to their final destination, Round-trip itineraries do not qualify as connecting flights.

It seems like you will need to wait until 3 hours before your flight from JFK to your ultimate destination.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
It seems like you will need to wait until 3 hours before your flight from JFK to your ultimate destination.
Yes, you are correct as I reported above (I think we posted simultaneously). Just wasn't sure if this particular lounge allowed for any exception to policy - especially while flights/connection options remain reduced due to COVID. As confirmed by the JFK lounge staff, the answer is no.

-FlyerBeek
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m907
Executive summary: Yes.

For details see linked threads.
m907 and imnotalawyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.