Last edit by: mia

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge JFK T-4 [Open 9 October 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
So I happened to be flying DL out of JFK yesterday and spent a good 2+ hours in the Centurion — wrote something up here: Lounge-hopping in a Pandemic: DL Y JFK - BOS feat. the new JFK T4 Centurion Lounge for those who want pictures (it's a pain to upload them twice, although I guess I could paste in the whole post).

But the TL;DR is I think it's a really cool space and probably the best lounge in JFK by far (although I've never been into the VS clubhouse, and maybe the DL skydeck is nicer in summer). There were at most like 10 people in the lounge throughout when I was there though, so it's still very empty, but given how terrible the skyclub and LX lounge get in the PM TATL rush (pre-covid) I have a feeling that the Centurion would be similar as well (particularly since no one in their right mind would pick LX or wingtips over this).

In terms of the narrow corridors I don't think they're that bad (PHL certainly feels worse) and I think it's in part a design choice to break up the lounge into lots of smaller areas, and I guess they've also used the central spaces for things like the elevator / stairs / kitchens etc and had the seating outside toward the windows
Thank you so much for your information about the new Centurion Lounge! It looks great and I’m very excited to try it out at the beginning of next month.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Originally Posted by bgriff
That's the other thing -- a lot of the spaces in this lounge look like weird long narrow spaces along the windows (or not, in the case of the speakeasy) that will become a total mess once they're filled with people and luggage. Where are everyone's rollaboard bags supposed to go in the speakeasy?
I visited it yesterday and that was exactly my opinion. It’s beautiful, well decorated etc. But it’s basically a bunch of corridors over 2 floors. When people start flying again it’ll be super packed
Old Oct 13, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
Thank you so much for your information about the new Centurion Lounge! It looks great and I’m very excited to try it out at the beginning of next month.
I will certainly be looking forward to trying this lounge -- after the pandemic is controlled in the United States, which at this rate doesn't look likely until summer or fall next year. Third wave is clearly already in full swing and infection rates today are higher than they were in March.

It doesn't look from the pictures like they're doing any particular distancing requirements (though that hardly seems necessary I guess given how few are traveling still). I am also curious how they are handling ventilation -- one of the key danger signs is prolonged indoor exposure to other people without ventilation from exterior air. I wonder if they address this issue at all.

It does look good though. I was looking forward to this quite a bit last year, glad it's finally opened.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by synzero
It doesn't look from the pictures like they're doing any particular distancing requirements (though that hardly seems necessary I guess given how few are traveling still).
Don't some of the pictures show signs on seats and "stand here" spots on the floor?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Don't some of the pictures show signs on seats and "stand here" spots on the floor?
Yes, it looks pretty well signed and controlled to me. Also I'm sure it's very quiet given JFK is way down in traffic and it's in the international terminal which is even more down in traffic.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Every other seat / pair of seats is blocked off in the lounge, and there are distance markers around the buffet (although the servers will bring your food to your table). Temperatures taken at the entrance with some iPad-like contraption that you stand in front of. Not sure about what they're doing about ventilation, although at this point I think the space is sufficiently large (and empty) for that to be a non-issue, but certainly if it were more crowded I might be somewhat concerned about remaining in there for a protracted period
synzero likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
I noticed that the Drinks Start Serving Time at the SpeakEasy is 10:30 AM........??? I guess there is another bar that is open earlier???
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:26 am

TPG's review lists the space as having 3 bars. From the Amex website (https://thecenturionlounge.com/locations/jfk/), they currently advertise that they serve limited cocktails from 7AM until 10:30AM and then full cocktails from 10:30AM until 7:45PM

I have only been to the LGA Centurion before but that is consistent with their practice there as well. I could only get the basics there in the morning (bloody mary/mimosa/screw driver) and they didn't serve the fancy stuff until brunch/later

Last edited by imnotalawyer; Oct 14, 2020 at 11:29 am Reason: To correct operating hours
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I entered a bit after 1PM yesterday. The place was entirely empty. Set up on two levels, I went down stairs to the bar, walking past the buffet counter with a modicum of food out and several staff who I assume would have served and delivered food. As I had eaten prior to going to the airport this wasn't important to me, a cocktail in the airport was the target.

Previously, all the Centurion lounges I frequented had basically the same alcohol selections (HKG, LGA, SFO, DFW, IAH) but here it was not what I had expected. Whether the lounges are changing stock or there is less uniformity system wide I don't know. In the absence of Bulliet rye, I chose the cask strength Rittenhouse rye for a manhattan. Then the supervisor asked if I'd prefer to enter the 'speakeasy' instead which I did. The wall to the side of the bar had a barely noticeable door which lead to the next room with a bar, low tables along the wall and no stools at the bar and the space was about the size of the main room from the old LGA iteration. Inside here there was yet a different alcohol selection and it was empty save for the bartender and myself.

Spent about 90 minutes having a few drinks and talking with the bartender before heading back to T8 for my flight.

A semblance of normalcy in the midst of a surreal year.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Spent about 90 minutes having a few drinks and talking with the bartender before heading back to T8 for my flight.
Just curious—did TSA say anything to you when you went through security about being in the wrong terminal? I have a B6 flight in a week but want to check out the lounge beforehand.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by juhlee
Just curious—did TSA say anything to you when you went through security about being in the wrong terminal? I have a B6 flight in a week but want to check out the lounge beforehand.
Haven't a problem along those lines in years.
KE81 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 1:47 pm
BLV

At the lounge as I type, Speakeasy, to be exact. Completely empty. The space is lovely but I wonder what kind of zoo it’ll turn into once things more or less normalize. As a side note, I’m never a fan of lounge food nor drinks but always try to test out one of my favorite cocktails - Boulevardier. While I always prefer Macallan as one of its ingredients, it weren’t available here but the drink turned out to be stellar. Staff is lovely and genuinely happy to see people. Amex luggage tags were a little gift for Cent.

As a side note, a completely surreal experience with no lines and going through TSA in seconds.
krazykanuck and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLV
At the lounge as I type, Speakeasy, to be exact. Completely empty. The space is lovely but I wonder what kind of zoo it’ll turn into once things more or less normalize. As a side note, I’m never a fan of lounge food nor drinks but always try to test out one of my favorite cocktails - Boulevardier. While I always prefer Macallan as one of its ingredients, it weren’t available here but the drink turned out to be stellar. t.
Great drink but I prefer a bourbon or rye for a good bite.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by BLV
Staff is lovely and genuinely happy to see people....

As a side note, a completely surreal experience with no lines and going through TSA in seconds.
Agreed on both counts.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was through here Friday evening. Lovely experience, no doubt aided by the lack of guests. Over the course of an hour (6-7pm) probably only 8-10 others. Note there is a bar and buffet on both levels; downstairs has the Speakeasy as well. Staff very friendly and helpful. I thought the food was very good. Note that at 6:45 they announced they were moving to a “lighter” menu; not sure exactly what that means but may. Maybe just no more of the mains (steak and mushroom burger)? Then food service shuts down at 7:45pm (lounge closes at 8.)

The espresso martini in the Speakeasy was delicious! Nice wine selection too in the lounge; speakeasy had 2 extra local selections from the Finger Lakes.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in the lounge on Monday afternoon and had an excellent visit. As far as I could tell, when I arrived around 12:20 I was the only one there.

I spent about an hour and a half in the speakeasy where I was the only customer for my entire stay, had a few drinks and talked to the wonderful bartenders down there. About half an hour before boarding for my flight I went back upstairs to have some food. A variety of small plates were offered, the highlight for me being the steak which I had a couple plates of.

Overall this was a great lounge and definitely one of my favorite Centurion Lounges to date. That speakeasy is really cool and a great relaxing place to chill for a bit. I have to make a trip back again soon because I'd imagine once travel picks back up and the lounge gets busier the experience won't be quite the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.