Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by artgriego
cwebjohn's letter looks awfully generic though I assume the 'obtaining MR points fraudulently" is referencing MS. I haven't heard of many letters received - anyone else getting letters like this post-clawback? What are the dates of clawback vs. letterhead?
I received a letter that is the very close to if not the same (don't have it with me right now). Mine was dated August 24. Clawback was August 19 I believe. I don't know if the letter is tied to the chat I did with them around that date or not.

That letter is definitely legit.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:20 am

My points were frozen but now unfrozen. No clawback. Met the spending mostly organically although about $600 was through giftcards.com.

Wife's points were clawed back. Nearly all of her $3K spending was Giftcards.com so I assume there is no point in fighting it?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:46 am

i got the same letter mailed as posted above.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
got the same letter,
had an amex platinum personal card about 4 years ago and that is the reason they took the points back. Will fight with complaint and notice of claim (arbitrage) in November when I have more time.....
regards
JR
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA
I canceled an Ameriprise right as I signed up for this card. Met the spend organically. My points are still there--although I haven't tried to transfer any so who knows if they're frozen. I've been afraid to touch them; hoping to leave them alone until this all blows over, but I kind of suspect that no matter how long I wait, they're going to freeze when I first try and transfer them.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:23 pm

100k points which I had received in early-August clawed back today (9/21). I had all organic spending, no MS at all.

On calling Amex, they said "inappropriate use/abuse" and according to them the abusive part was me cancelling the credit card around August 30th (before the prorated refunds ended).

I'm filing cpfb of-course. It seems like if amex can just call "abuse" over cancelling a credit card, then they can just hold us hostage over any future bonus.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by nomii
100k points which I had received in early-August clawed back today (9/21). I had all organic spending, no MS at all.

On calling Amex, they said "inappropriate use/abuse" and according to them the abusive part was me cancelling the credit card around August 30th (before the prorated refunds ended).

I'm filing cpfb of-course. It seems like if amex can just call "abuse" over cancelling a credit card, then they can just hold us hostage over any future bonus.
"Inappropriate use/abuse" is unclear because that term isn't defined in the MR T&C. It sounds like they are trying to apply the fraud clause, which you can find under "Additional Terms" at https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...&mrk=&stoken=#. Specifically:

If you attempt to use or earn points in a fraudulent way, we may:
Take away all points in your program account
Cancel your program account
Cancel any of your American Express Cards
Fraud involves deceit, and while I don't know your entire situation, I see nothing in what you wrote that would suggest you acted deceptively. Unless the terms require you to keep the card for a certain period of time (and to my knowledge, no Amex bonus terms do), their position appears baseless to me.

If I were in your position, I would just send a notice of claim and, if necessary, a JAMS arbitration demand. It wouldn't hurt to file a CFPB complaint, but it doesn't sound like those have been very successful in other cases.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I canceled an Ameriprise right as I signed up for this card. Met the spend organically. My points are still there--although I haven't tried to transfer any so who knows if they're frozen. I've been afraid to touch them; hoping to leave them alone until this all blows over, but I kind of suspect that no matter how long I wait, they're going to freeze when I first try and transfer them.
I think you'll be fine if you wait a bit.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:02 am

Quick DP: I applied with the 100k bonus. Met spend (100% organically) in ~2 months; MR account was frozen pending review. I was over the 3k excluding the fee and airline fee reimbursements, but only by a few dollars ($50 or so). Account has now been unfrozen according to CSR over the phone
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:08 am

CSR's over the phone DKS. They will tell you its unfrozen and then try to transfer points and then say oh, theres a problem with your account. Try to transfer them yourself. And more than once, because I transferred 200 points out and it worked, and then i did 50k points and it did not work.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:38 am

Claw back hit my account, thank God I redeemed them before the clawback
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I'm right there next to you, baby. I don't need those MRs for years, so we'll see what a lot of tomorrows bring.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame
Claw back hit my account, thank God I redeemed them before the clawback

When was your account unfrozen?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:36 pm

Clawback hit an account for someone I manage today, Serve + organic but enough organic to hit $3k (though it includes the $200 airline credit, MPX). This MR account was frozen; I downgraded to Green on the last available day to at least get some AF back. Going to CFPB, JAMS, etc. and will report back.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:00 am

It looks like Amex is trying to find a reason to claw back points. They first apply the logic that you cancelled the card to take away the points. If you pass that criteria (i.e. you still have the card) then they apply the logic that you did MS using giftcards.com or CVS vanillas. If you pass that criteria (i.e. you have the card and didn't do any MS), then they apply the logic that you did not complete the minimum spending by subtracting the $200 airline credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.