Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
The letter does not mention Amex credits such as $200 airline fee reimbursements. It seems those amounts count towards min spend?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by FirstForTakeoff
Data point: both my friend and I had our 100k clawed back today. 100% organic spend, no MS, had freeze same time as everyone else, unfroze ~7 weeks later, transferred point out a few times, still had sizeable balance, closed card a couple of weeks ago, today both of us got a -100k adjustment. On calling, they claim it's because I closed my account too soon, but didn't define what too soon is, and nothing can be done. I argued this is not in the terms and that I was at liberty to close whenever I wanted. CFPB and OCC complaints to follow. I manage to transfer all my (remaining) points out, but my friend's account is frozen (again).
Small Update: OCC complaint forwarded to CFPB. Amex replied to this forwarded request. They gave me the (wrong) boiler plate answer that yes your account was frozen for 6-8 weeks but now it is unfrozen as they confirm I met the spend. Account was indeed unfrozen and I was able to transout out all my points except the 100k clawed back. They did not address the 100k clawback. I will file one more CFPB referencing that they confirmed I was eligible in writing to CFPB then did not return the 100k clawed back points.

Failing that, going to arbitration. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by artgriego
isriam, depending on how blatant your MS was (e.g. if you just loaded Serve, forget about it) you might want to push for arbitration. I seriously doubt it's worth their time and just submitting claims will probably call their bluff and get your points back.
How does one go about requesting arbitration? Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bocos
How does one go about requesting arbitration? Thanks!
It's spelled out in the terms of the card, but start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tion-help.html
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by isriam
Per the terms and
conditions of the promotional offer, MR points may take up to 6 to 8 weeks after the spend
requirement is met to become available for redemption. During the 6 to 8 week review period,
although MR points are unavailable for redemption, any continued spend on your card during the
first three months of Card Membership is also reviewed for eligibility toward the promotion.
They use this standard 6-8 weeks line in all of the responses, but many of the points reversals happened well after 8 weeks from the date the points were posted. They aren't even following their own made up after the fact policies.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:17 pm

Just got a long letter in the mail dated August 31st 2016:

We recently noticed point accrual and redemption activity on your Membership Rewards program account that indicates an effort to obtain and use points in a manner that is not appropriate.

It then goes on with a long explanation as to why they are removing points and that they can take steps - take away all points in your program account, cancel your program account or cancel any of your american express cards.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cwebjohn
Just got a long letter in the mail dated August 31st 2016:

We recently noticed point accrual and redemption activity on your Membership Rewards program account that indicates an effort to obtain and use points in a manner that is not appropriate.

It then goes on with a long explanation as to why they are removing points and that they can take steps - take away all points in your program account, cancel your program account or cancel any of your american express cards.
More details please - did they just remove a bonus or some odd number of points? Are you a heavy hitting MSer or do you hit it and quit it just for bonuses? How detailed/personalized was the explanation for removing points?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:56 pm

I had my 100k points frozen and I canceled my card and used the points to pay for charges that were made. Then the 100k points were deducted from my account, leaving me negative.

I would say I churn and burn, but I typically wait at least 10 months before I cancel a card. However, I wasn't waiting around to cancel the card if the points were frozen.

Here is the letter I received.

I like how they end the letter with a thanks for my card membership after they take away my points. I guess that is Business Writing 101, kill them with kindness.

Name:  Amex.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  676.6 KB

Last edited by cwebjohn; Sep 16, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:18 pm

I got caught up in the review process and all my points are frozen. I had well over $4k in natural spend on both the personal platinum and the MB Platinum and I downgraded the personal platinum 3 months after meeting spend. CSR said that downgrading card violates terms and conditions and may be justification for them to deny bonus. Currently carry 7 amex cards in total and probably run $5 -$6k per month natural spend through them so hopefully they value relationship enough not to yank the 100k due to downgrading personal platinum to gold.

Any data points out there where downgrading resulted in denial of bonus??

What happens if you end up with a negative mr balance and close all your amex accounts as the AF becomes due?

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:04 am

My points were still frozen as when I try to transfer points they didn't go through. However, I was able to redeem them on Amazon and was able to clean them out.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by msthegame
My points were still frozen as when I try to transfer points they didn't go through. However, I was able to redeem them on Amazon and was able to clean them out.
so if they claw them back what will you do? terminate your relationship with amex and if so, will they send you a bill ?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
I got caught up in the review process and all my points are frozen. I had well over $4k in natural spend on both the personal platinum and the MB Platinum and I downgraded the personal platinum 3 months after meeting spend. CSR said that downgrading card violates terms and conditions and may be justification for them to deny bonus. Currently carry 7 amex cards in total and probably run $5 -$6k per month natural spend through them so hopefully they value relationship enough not to yank the 100k due to downgrading personal platinum to gold.

Any data points out there where downgrading resulted in denial of bonus??

What happens if you end up with a negative mr balance and close all your amex accounts as the AF becomes due?
Sorry to hear that. The post above yours is probably the closest situation where the card was closed and AMEX wasn't happy about it. But I'm afraid your reason might be that you had two personal platinum cards. According to several posts here, that could trigger claw back.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Sorry to hear that. The post above yours is probably the closest situation where the card was closed and AMEX wasn't happy about it. But I'm afraid your reason might be that you had two personal platinum cards. According to several posts here, that could trigger claw back.
Did not close, just downgraded the personal platinum to gold, and CSR said nothing about that violating any terms and I can't find any language other than vague we can do whatever we want to if we don't like you stuff in the t & c.

The two platinum cards are different products. One is personal platinum, the other is MB platinum. From everything I have read, the two are independent products and anyone can get the bonus for both of them. They are saying that the review is on the spend on the MB card and has nothing to do with the pp. Should know by the end of the month. If they are unfrozen, I'm emptying the account but still don't understand what happens if they do a claw back and hit you with a negative balance. I have no intent on spending 100k with amex just to pay back the mr so do they send you a bill when you close your last amex card or ???
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
so if they claw them back what will you do? terminate your relationship with amex and if so, will they send you a bill ?
I guess I will terminate. No one knows if they will send a bill or not an I'm not gonna sit idle until they clawback or unfreeze my points which is highly unlikely given that I have MS'ed
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:12 pm

cwebjohn's letter looks awfully generic though I assume the 'obtaining MR points fraudulently" is referencing MS. I haven't heard of many letters received - anyone else getting letters like this post-clawback? What are the dates of clawback vs. letterhead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.