Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
As another DP, I was approved last month for a targeted 100k Plat offer, met the spend + a couple thousand more organically within a week and had the the points post. However, I'm unable to transfer them and when I call I'm just told that my account is under review and there's nobody I can talk to about it.

I can't believe they are even doing this with targeted links. How absurd.
WAIT...

To be clear, 1) you did not apply via the questionable link back in May and 2) the targeted offer was intended for you?

Also, did you/do you have any other Platinum cards?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
WAIT...

To be clear, 1) you did not apply via the questionable link back in May and 2) the targeted offer was intended for you?

A targeted link/invitation generally won't include such term: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product".
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by forever1001
A targeted link/invitation generally won't include such term: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product".
This is not reliable. We have many reports from unhappy people who received offers from American Express via postal mail, and were not eligible for the bonus, but they assumed otherwise.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:50 pm

As another DP, I was approved last month for a targeted 100k Plat offer, met the spend + a couple thousand more organically within a week and had the the points post. However, I'm unable to transfer them and when I call I'm just told that my account is under review and there's nobody I can talk to about it.

I can't believe they are even doing this with targeted links. How absurd.
how were you targeted? email, snail mail, or in your account?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

WAIT...

1) I did not apply via the leaked link back in May
2) Yes, the targeted offer was sent to me via email.
3) I have never had another Platinum AmEx of any flavor. This is my first Membership Rewards card.

I met the spend through organic means within a week of receiving the card. I requested the points to be expedited so I could transfer to Avios. Shortly thereafter the 103,000 points showed up in my account. I was unable to transfer and called their Membership Rewards team who said my points were unavailable, they couldn't tell me anything else, and there was no timeline for when I could get them back. I asked if somebody would at least call me and explain to me what's going on and was told that he couldn't say anything else to me about it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:17 pm
mia

I met the spend through organic means within a week of receiving the card. I requested the points to be expedited so I could transfer to Avios.
This fits a pattern of people who quickly earn the new account bonus, use the airline fee reimbursement benefit, and then cancel to avoid paying the first annual fee. I am not saying that you were doing this, but that's what their algorithm could flag.

Previously they delayed posting of the points for ~ 8 weeks which would protect against this. No idea why they have started to post-then-freeze or why (in your case) they agreed to accelerate posting.

Last edited by mia; Sep 28, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:17 pm

1) I did not apply via the leaked link back in May
2) Yes, the targeted offer was sent to me via email.
3) I have never had another Platinum AmEx of any flavor. This is my first Membership Rewards card.

I met the spend through organic means within a week of receiving the card. I requested the points to be expedited so I could transfer to Avios. Shortly thereafter the 103,000 points showed up in my account. I was unable to transfer and called their Membership Rewards team who said my points were unavailable, they couldn't tell me anything else, and there was no timeline for when I could get them back. I asked if somebody would at least call me and explain to me what's going on and was told that he couldn't say anything else to me about it.
Thanks, first report that I have read with frozen points with no MS, no past Plat cards of any variation, no past MR cards, no questionable application...very clean app and spending. Also, very unusual that earned and bonus points posted so quickly.

I think your frozen points and accounts (per the Amex FR thread) is tied to your MS on your other Amex cards.

Your DP warrants a separate thread.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:44 pm

Thanks, first report that I have read with frozen points with no MS, no past Plat cards of any variation, no past MR cards, no questionable application...very clean app and spending. Also, very unusual that earned and bonus points posted so quickly.

I think your frozen points and accounts (per the Amex FR thread) is tied to your MS on your other Amex cards.

Your DP warrants a separate thread.
Just to be clear, I've never MSed on any cards, Amex or otherwise. The only thing I've done that could possibly be considered MS is using plastiq to pay rent (if that's considered MS).

I originally thought I was having a FR when I saw my points were frozen, but I realized yesterday that I was still able to use all my Amex credit cards, so I know its not an FR (although I'm still not sure why both my SPG and Plat were declined at the same POS the same day).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:10 pm

Just to be clear, I've never MSed on any cards, Amex or otherwise. The only thing I've done that could possibly be considered MS is using plastiq to pay rent (if that's considered MS).
I was referring to your recent posts in the MS forum:

Finally got shut down after about a year. Have only used it for loading from Amex to hit minimum spends and never unloaded. I've got about $4800 on there since I've been afraid to unload for fear that it would trigger the shutdown. Time to start liquidating!
I received the bonus on the no-fee Hilton card in June only by loading to Serve, but used Serve to hit the $2000 min spend for the Delta Gold in early August and points still haven't posted. I read on reddit that this loophole may have closed in August, which is quite the bummer, because that means I have one month to hit $5000 spend between this and my AmEx Plat.

I originally thought I was having a FR when I saw my points were frozen, but I realized yesterday that I was still able to use all my Amex credit cards, so I know its not an FR (although I'm still not sure why both my SPG and Plat were declined at the same POS the same day).
Well clearly, your acct(s) are under review for some reason. As the BAEC bonus transfers in about 2 wks, it's unlikely you'll get your MR points released before then. I would just move on, use your Amex cards wisely and hope there's no acct closures.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I was referring to your recent posts in the MS forum:

Well clearly, your acct(s) are under review for some reason. As the BAEC bonus transfers in about 2 wks, it's unlikely you'll get your MR points released before then. I would just move on, use your Amex cards wisely and hope there's no acct closures.
Didn't you know? Serve doesn't count as MS...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:36 pm

I still don't think that loads to Serve would have contributed to my points being frozen since they haven't counted towards minimum spend in 3 months and I never loaded to my Platinum.

Perhaps its because my points were expedited but they're afraid of me canceling, although that certainly wasn't my plan. I'm being tempted to cancel now while still within the window to get my annual fee refunded since I'm not sure when they're going to make my points available for use.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:42 pm

I still don't think that loads to Serve would have contributed to my points being frozen since they haven't counted towards minimum spend in 3 months and I never loaded to my Platinum.

Perhaps its because my points were expedited but they're afraid of me canceling, although that certainly wasn't my plan. I'm being tempted to cancel now while still within the window to get my annual fee refunded since I'm not sure when they're going to make my points available for use.
You won't be getting a refund of your fee, they stopped refunds a month ago.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Didn't you know? Serve doesn't count as MS...
It's certainly not normal banking activity.

Don't think it matters that it didn't count towards min spend or to your Platinum. Impacts of abusive behavior on one Amex card affects all Amex cards.

Your points should be available per the terms of the offer/agreement.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:08 pm
mia

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
You won't be getting a refund of your fee, they stopped refunds a month ago.
Not entirely:

We will refund this fee if you notify us that you are voluntarily closing your Account within 30 days of the Closing Date of the billing statement on which that fee appears. For cancellations after this 30 day period, the Annual Membership fee is non-refundable.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:16 pm

It's certainly not normal banking activity.

Don't think it matters that it didn't count towards min spend or to your Platinum. Impacts of abusive behavior on one Amex card affects all Amex cards.

Your points should be available per the terms of the offer/agreement.
I don't think Amex loads to serve are/were considered unusual banking activity. I got an email from Amex encouraging me to load my Serve using American Express credit cards, and I'm sure they wouldn't encourage it if it didn't work with their business plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.