Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by solewalker
Holy smokes! My points just got unfrozen!!! Bonus posted on 9 July, all organic spend. No action on my part, aside from attempting transfers almost daily the past two weeks.
My bonus posted on July 13 so hopefully mine will be unfrozen in the next few days. All organic spend also, well over $3k (not including the AF, MPX purchases, and a couple Amex offer credits).
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:15 am

100k platinum posted 5/21 and 75k MB platinum posted 7/5 still frozen. didn't know they were frozen until a week ago when I tried to make transfer. I did make a small transfer 6/2 that went through no problem.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:04 pm

What kind of clown show is this? I called again today and they tell me that the clawback is because "I returned purchases". I did no such thing.
They gave me an address to which I can address complaints, but given the run around now I am thinking directly to small claims. Any advice on this latter route? Who to name as defendant?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by AugustWest
They gave me an address to which I can address complaints, but given the run around now I am thinking directly to small claims. Any advice on this latter route? Who to name as defendant?
That should be in your credit card agreement for notice provisions.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:18 pm

I called again today and they tell me that the clawback is because "I returned purchases". I did no such thing.
Based on DPs, this means MS.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:40 pm

What kind of clown show is this? I called again today and they tell me that the clawback is because "I returned purchases". I did no such thing.
Did you MS? need dps
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Did you MS? need dps
Forgive my ignorance. What is/are DPs?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA
Data points, specific examples of behavior and result.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:24 pm

People just want to know if you engaged in MS. If Amex said the issue was returns but you fail to meet the T&C for some other reason (buying cash equivalents), it won't matter that Amex's explanation was wrong.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Are there any data points for frozen points having not signed up for the 100K Platinum? Just saw the first one on another forum, now I'm curious.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Are there any data points for frozen points having not signed up for the 100K Platinum? Just saw the first one on another forum, now I'm curious.
I haven't seen any here on flyertalk, and I've followed everything closely. People have speculated that Amex may start looking at bonus activity on all new accounts as a result of this deal. Maybe the data point you saw is evidence of that happening.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Saw the same thing on DDF
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:11 pm

Call

Got a call from amex today about a ticket I had put in with an online rep.

Rep says I was clawed back points because I cancelled my card and didnt meet minimum spend.

I claimed I had, but from the sound of the rep they lacked the ability to do anything. All they do is regurgitate what they are being told.

I asked if I would be charged for a negative points balance if it remains negative 10 years from now. The rep claimed no one has ever asked the question. I asked for it in writing what I would be charged for negative points. The rep said there is nothing in the terms for the situation.

So they have no clue.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ
Data point: both my friend and I had our 100k clawed back today. 100% organic spend, no MS, had freeze same time as everyone else, unfroze ~7 weeks later, transferred point out a few times, still had sizeable balance, closed card a couple of weeks ago, today both of us got a -100k adjustment. On calling, they claim it's because I closed my account too soon, but didn't define what too soon is, and nothing can be done. I argued this is not in the terms and that I was at liberty to close whenever I wanted. CFPB and OCC complaints to follow. I manage to transfer all my (remaining) points out, but my friend's account is frozen (again).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FirstForTakeoff
Data point: both my friend and I had our 100k clawed back today. 100% organic spend, no MS, had freeze same time as everyone else, unfroze ~7 weeks later, transferred point out a few times, still had sizeable balance, closed card a couple of weeks ago, today both of us got a -100k adjustment. On calling, they claim it's because I closed my account too soon, but didn't define what too soon is, and nothing can be done. I argued this is not in the terms and that I was at liberty to close whenever I wanted. CFPB and OCC complaints to follow. I manage to transfer all my (remaining) points out, but my friend's account is frozen (again).
same happened for me today. please update if you could get points back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.