Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by NRTBound2015
Data point:

- Hit the minimum spending by mid-June. Mostly organic, but bought a $300 worth of gc during an office supply store promo. Points were awarded, but frozen. Called Amex and got the 6-8 weeks spiel.

- Did enough additional spending to put me over 3k even if gcs, sync credits, and travel reimbursements were netted out.

- Points were never clawed back, and Amex never made additional contact about the "freeze."

- Yesterday I attemped and successfully made a transfer to an airline partner.

So, at this point, I'm assuming that I passed their secondary review and they decided to let me keep the points. Will obviously fight hard if they try to claw them back now.
Smart move to bring organic spending over $3k after Amex freeze and review became evident.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:35 am

MS has nothing to do with the claw back. I MS'd almost 100% of my 3k and the MR rep didn't even care. SHe said wow looks like you met spend even though the previous rep didn't think you did. Your claw back was due to having a platinum before, even if it you never had a platinum bonus.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:41 am

My partner's points have not been clawed back as of yet. No MS, but he's held a different platinum product before. Never tested to see if they are "frozen" or not.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by isriam
MS has nothing to do with the claw back. I MS'd almost 100% of my 3k and the MR rep didn't even care. SHe said wow looks like you met spend even though the previous rep didn't think you did. Your claw back was due to having a platinum before, even if it you never had a platinum bonus.
Never, ever, ever believe what the front line reps (or even their supervisors, seemingly) say. The pertinent information isn't shared with them and AMEX will not follow through with anything that they say. There have been several posts in this thread where the cardholder was given the reason in writing from AMEX corporate and every one of them has been about MS, there has not been one posted about having the card already where it was a different flavor of platinum.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Smart move to bring organic spending over $3k after Amex freeze and review became evident.
Yep. I got a bit lucky in that (a) I was monitoring this thread (b) there was a transfer I wanted to make back in June that tipped me off to the freezes and (c) I had done the spending quickly enough that I had time to put more spending on the card.

The somewhat ironic part is that, if I had been more of a typical customer and less of a "gamer," I would have just assumed that the 100k posting was an indication that I had fulfilled the requirements and I might not have done the extra spend...
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
There have been several posts in this thread where the cardholder was given the reason in writing from AMEX corporate and every one of them has been about MS, there has not been one posted about having the card already where it was a different flavor of platinum.
You are incorrect there was a user here who had a clawback and was told via a CFPB response no less that they were not entitled to the bonus because he held or had held an Ameriprise platinum they even gave him the account number of that card. However Amex appears more recently to have had a change of heart on that and his and other folks who were in the same situation appear to have had their points restored. So at this point that no longer appears to be an issue but it was. This was always a weaker argument for Amex.

Edit: look for posts by durberville in this thread for more info.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by NRTBound2015
...if I had been more of a typical customer and less of a "gamer," I would have just assumed that the 100k posting was an indication that I had fulfilled the requirements and I might not have done the extra spend...
That's EXACTLY what a typical customer would assume. Especially since the points aren't "pending" but "earned" as the customer can see on the Am Ex website. And then they drag out till past the 3 month time limit to claw back the points!? And what typical customer knows that American Express defines Starbucks gift cards as "cash equivalents". I asked people at my office what they think that means and most were like how the heck should I know!? ..gold coins or cash advance at the ATM or something.? Am Ex wants to define it however they like. If they mean gift cards the terms should say no prepaids or ANY type of giftcard.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by lkat
That's EXACTLY what a typical customer would assume. Especially since the points aren't "pending" but "earned" as the customer can see on the Am Ex website. And then they drag out till past the 3 month time limit to claw back the points!? And what typical customer knows that American Express defines Starbucks gift cards as "cash equivalents". I asked people at my office what they think that means and most were like how the heck should I know!? ..gold coins or cash advance at the ATM or something.? Am Ex wants to define it however they like. If they mean gift cards the terms should say no prepaids or ANY type of giftcard.
I don't have the T&Cs for 100k Plat offer, but another current Platinum offer says about the sign-up bonus:

"....... purchases or reloading of prepaid cards; or purchases of other cash equivalents. "

Anyone have the 100k Plat language to compare?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Anyone have the 100k Plat language to compare?
Here you go:

OFFER TERMS

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

100,000 Membership Rewards Points

To be eligible to receive the 100,000 Membership Rewards points, you must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards Program at the time of purchase. 100,000 Membership Rewards points will be credited to your account after you charge a total of $3,000 (the "Threshold Amount") or more of purchases on your Platinum Card® from American Express within the first 3 months of Platinum Card Membership starting from the date Express within the first 3 months of Platinum Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to spend $3,000 may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Qualifying purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. The following charges do NOT count towards the Threshold Amount: fees or interest charges; balance transfers; cash advances; purchases of travelers checks; purchases or reloading of prepaid cards; or purchases of other cash equivalents. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6-8 weeks after charges appear on your monthly billing statement. If you have any questions regarding this offer, please call the number on the back of your Card. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

Last edited by mfFrom35K; Sep 2, 2016 at 2:47 pm Reason: Corrected 68 to 6-8
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Here you go:

... Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 68 weeks after charges appear on your monthly billing statement.
68 weeks ... now it's all clear LOL
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K

American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.
And that about sums it up I guess
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by lkat
68 weeks ... now it's all clear LOL
My error as I copied from a PDF and had to fix spacing. It is 6-8. Corrected the terms. But that was funny.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:50 pm

Just had 100k deducted, points still frozen.

Amex is a joke of a company.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by compddd
Just had 100k deducted, points still frozen.

Amex is a joke of a company.
Exact same timing.

I also got my 100k deducted, and are still frozen.

Looks like they did another batch just now.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:28 pm

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to see their 75k MB points deducted as well if they signed up for it along with the 100k plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.