Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by devnull
Arbitrate. Amex has in their possession the records of who previously held which card(s). You say you received a targeted offer within your Amex online account, and confirmed with an Amex representative that you were eligible for the offer despite having previously held a card. Furthermore, this was an offer in your Amex online account. This means Amex had all your personal information, including SSN, readily available, and could easily use that information to verify your eligibility before sending you the offer. This wasn't some bulk marketing list with only a few details, where Amex could try to say "we didn't have enough information (like SSN) to verify one's eligibility." If Amex's left hand doesn't communicate with the right hand, that shouldn't be your problem. This sounds to me like an unfair and deceptive practice, and that's the argument I would use if I were in your position.

A basic JAMS arbitration can cost upwards of $20k, and you should read the JAMS Consumer Minimum Standards regarding who is responsible for those fees. You're presumably seeking 100,000 MR, which I doubt costs Amex more than $1,500 even if transferred to an airline partner (and this probably overstates the cost). My non-lawyer opinion is that Amex's position is untenable. Do you think they want to spend $20k+ arbitrating a shaky (on their end) case, or pay you ~$1k worth of points to make this go away?

Also, given how egregious Amex's behavior appears to be, I'd be inclined to push the envelope on damages, if I were in your position. Check your state's UDAP law to see if you'd have a reasonable basis to ask for more.
If the terms and conditions indicated that he wasn't eligible for the bonus, I wouldn't bother. He has no leg to stand on, unfortunately. You win some; you lose some.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Sent out Notice of Claim 10/30, just received an email last weekend that my dispute has been received and is being investigated. I called to discuss the status of the dispute and to to get an idea of how long it would take to be resolved. I was told that I would be informed within 30 days. Too bad the BA transfer bonus ends today.

The best part is that at the end of the call, the representative asked, "before we end our call, would you like to consider adding any authorized users to your account so that you can earn rewards from their purchases?" No thanks, I think I'd like access to the points I already have before I try to earn any more.
The claims notice in my case simply resulted in a callback from some Amex CSR saying the same reasons as told in CPFB ("because you closed/downgraded account").

It won't help IMO.

The one and only successful datapoint in this thread we have of someone getting their clawed 100k back is when they initiated JAMS mediation. I would recommend you do the same. Mediation vai JAMS is completely free for us (since Amex pays the fees for mediator, and its likely they wouldn't think its worth their money to do so).

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Presumably you only have to do that if you intend to mediate/arbitrate, right?

Is there a legal requirement to follow through after threatening AAA/JAMS?
No legal requirement but you likely won't get your 100k back by just sending them a nastygram without the force of law behind it.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by nomii
The claims notice in my case simply resulted in a callback from some Amex CSR saying the same reasons as told in CPFB ("because you closed/downgraded account").

It won't help IMO.

The one and only successful datapoint in this thread we have of someone getting their clawed 100k back is when they initiated JAMS mediation. I would recommend you do the same. Mediation vai JAMS is completely free for us (since Amex pays the fees for mediator, and its likely they wouldn't think its worth their money to do so).

No legal requirement but you likely won't get your 100k back by just sending them a nastygram without the force of law behind it.
Doesn't it cost $250 to file?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by mortalwombat
No. Its free for consumers. Amex cardmember agreement clearly states they will pay.

Also the fee when I checked (atleast in my city) was from $300-$450, depending on the mediator picked. But anyways, Amex should cover it.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Enough
No. Its free for consumers. Amex cardmember agreement clearly states they will pay.

Also the fee when I checked (atleast in my city) was from $300-$450, depending on the mediator picked. But anyways, Amex should cover it.
That's not totally correct. You may be liable for a portion of the mediator's costs equivalent to your jurisdiction's small claims filing fee.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by maygarish
If the terms and conditions indicated that he wasn't eligible for the bonus, I wouldn't bother. He has no leg to stand on, unfortunately. You win some; you lose some.
According to his account, Amex is sending targeted offers to people they know are not eligible based on an obscure part of the fine print. And their agents are making specific representations to these people that they do, in fact, qualify despite that fine print (easy to continue that line of reasoning: "because, you know, why would we target you for an offer you aren't eligible for?"). That sounds to me like a UDAAP, does it not? For the consumer, it may be actionable under his state's UDAP law.

If this is any more than an isolated incident, I hope a CFPB enforcement action is forthcoming.

Originally Posted by mortalwombat
It sounds like you're confusing mediation and arbitration (they are different). For a consumer-initiated JAMS arbitration under the JAMS consumer rules, the consumer pays $250 and the company pays the remaining costs. The arbitration agreement may provide more favorable terms (for example, under some agreements, the company pays all costs, including the $250). I'm not familiar with the mediation aspect and how those rules differ, but other posters above me seem to have covered that well.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A...an obscure part of the fine print.
The exclusion is not obscure. In every offer that I have seen it is a separate one sentence paragraph in bold print. The issue is whether American Express employees have the authority to verbally modify the written offer.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:45 am

Cardmember agreement: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c..._06_30_New.pdf

It says "Before beginning mediation, you or we must first send a claim notice. Within 30 days after sending or receiving a claim notice,
you or we may submit the claim to JAMS (1-800-352-5267, jamsadr.com) or the
American Arbitration Association ("AAA") (1-800-778-7879, adr.org) for mediation. We will pay the fees of the mediator"
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The exclusion is not obscure. In every offer that I have seen it is a separate one sentence paragraph in bold print. The issue is whether American Express employees have the authority to verbally modify the written offer.
Also whether, with or without specific authority from Amex, the growing number of data points regarding Amex employees' statements, if accurate, amount to a pattern for which Amex can be held accountable.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Thanks for the response. I have no intention to actually file (although I might if it's free). Would be a good learning experience.

I was hoping the Claim Notice would be sufficient to get my points back. Well actually, I was originally hoping Amex would "do the right thing" without me having to get involved.

Thankfully I'm sitting at -100k and not at 0
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:34 pm

It sounds like you're confusing mediation and arbitration (they are different). For a consumer-initiated JAMS arbitration under the JAMS consumer rules, the consumer pays $250 and the company pays the remaining costs. The arbitration agreement may provide more favorable terms (for example, under some agreements, the company pays all costs, including the $250). I'm not familiar with the mediation aspect and how those rules differ, but other posters above me seem to have covered that well.
I was. Thank you.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Can Amex do anything about a negative MR balance after clawback? I can't find anything in the card terms & conditions that address it. If you do an internet search you'll find people claiming Amex has the right to charge the cardholder 2.5 cents for each negative point, but as far as I can tell, those were terms from a now-discontinued point borrowing scheme Amex used to run.

ETA: we still have open accounts which we just plan to use for Amex offers, since any normal points earned would just go against the negative balance.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by maygarish
I think Amex is generally the one with the weak legal position in these cases. They make a targeted offer to a previous cardholder, offering a particular bonus if they get the card and meet a certain spending requirement. And in the T&C, they say the bonus will not apply to previous cardholders. These are inconsistent terms. Such inconsistencies are generally resolved against the party responsible for them -- in this case, Amex.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think Amex is generally the one with the weak legal position in these cases. They make a targeted offer to a previous cardholder, offering a particular bonus if they get the card and meet a certain spending requirement. And in the T&C, they say the bonus will not apply to previous cardholders. These are inconsistent terms. Such inconsistencies are generally resolved against the party responsible for them -- in this case, Amex.
The issue is whether making a targeted offer implies that they've screened for eligibility. I doubt that it does.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by LWT3
The issue is whether making a targeted offer implies that they've screened for eligibility. I doubt that it does.
Doubt is appropriate. It's easy to dismiss another's legal position as a surefire loser or a declare it to be a slam-dunk winner. But experienced litigators are usually reluctant to do that. We've seen the supposed losers win, and the surefire winners lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.