Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Mediation/Arbitration - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
AMEX Mediation/Arbitration - Help!

I've mailed a claim to the address listed under the Card Agreement to bring a dispute with AMEX (USA) to mediation. I've been in contact with one of the approved mediation firms, and they need the contact information (phone and email) of someone from AMEX who can agree to the process.

I've called AMEX corporate line a number of times, and nobody can help me. Does anybody have any experience with the mediation/arbitration process and can help me out? Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would start by reading the terms and conditions of the card. If this is a personal Platinum Card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../platinum.html

In the terms you will find a paragraph headed: Claims Resolution which explains where to send claims etc. It appears you must submit a claim before mediation:

Before beginning mediation, you or we must
first send a claim notice. Within 30 days
after sending or receiving a claim notice,
you or we may submit the claim to JAMS
(1-800-352-5267, jamsadr.com) or the
American Arbitration Association ("AAA")
(1-800-778-7879, adr.org) for mediation
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by mia
I would start by reading the terms and conditions of the card. If this is a personal Platinum Card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../platinum.html

In the terms you will find a paragraph headed: Claims Resolution which explains where to send claims etc. It appears you must submit a claim before mediation:
I've already sent the requisite notice of claim to the address noted in the Card Agreement. Per the terms, the moment I've sent that claim, I can contact one of the two mediation firms. I've done that. The mediation firm needs specific contact information to arrange the mediation.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
The mediation firm needs specific contact information to arrange the mediation.
I would send it to their Office of General Counsel, and I'd use Google to find contact information. Not sure this is still accurate, but this might be it:

http://about.americanexpress.com/new...eeger-gco.aspx
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:52 pm

OP can you please keep us updated on the progress of your mediation. Given the 100k mess, its quite likely that other folks will help learn from your experience.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:02 pm

If you need a specific person's name, I agree with LWT3's advice about using their general counsel. http://ir.americanexpress.com/Officers-and-Directors confirms Laureen E. Seeger is their general counsel. (LWT3's link was a press release, which would tend not to be updated if there was a change. The link I provided is a current list of officers and directors.)

Amex's email format is either [email protected] or [email protected]. Both formats appear to be in use.

FYI, many consider JAMS to be the more consumer-friendly of the two arbitration firms.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by nomii
OP can you please keep us updated on the progress of your mediation. Given the 100k mess, its quite likely that other folks will help learn from your experience.
A very strong second to this. It will be much appreciated. Thanks for pursuing it!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AugustWest
A very strong second to this. It will be much appreciated. Thanks for pursuing it!
Although it is greatly appreciated if OP follows through, I believe OP will be unlikely to disclose as AMEX will force OP to sign a NDA.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Result was reported HERE.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Started a mediation process

This thread is very helpful.

My Plenti account was hacked, two transactions of equivelent of $2000 and ~$200 used pretty much all my Plenti points in May. A few days prior to these, Plenti also emailed my that my PIN was changed, I called Plenti back to let them know that I did not change my PIN... CSR eventually said the email of PIN change was system generated. In retrospect, the PIN change must be related to the hack.

Anyway, Plenti 1st said they need time to investigate. In July, they credit back ~$200, but not ~$2000. Many calls, and many promises..., still, 5 months later, no sign of getting back ~$2000.

I gave up calling them. I sent out Claim Notice, certified mail yesterday. Just submitted Mediation on JAMS. let's see if this can get my points back soon
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
Got all the missing points back

Originally Posted by Tinker25
This thread is very helpful.

My Plenti account was hacked, two transactions of equivelent of $2000 and ~$200 used pretty much all my Plenti points in May. A few days prior to these, Plenti also emailed my that my PIN was changed, I called Plenti back to let them know that I did not change my PIN... CSR eventually said the email of PIN change was system generated. In retrospect, the PIN change must be related to the hack.

Anyway, Plenti 1st said they need time to investigate. In July, they credit back ~$200, but not ~$2000. Many calls, and many promises..., still, 5 months later, no sign of getting back ~$2000.

I gave up calling them. I sent out Claim Notice, certified mail yesterday. Just submitted Mediation on JAMS. let's see if this can get my points back soon
no contact from Amex, but online showing all my points are back.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA
I started a mediation claim against AMEX with JAMS about a denied bonus (no warning pop-up about ineligibility appeared, but they claimed I should have gotten one). JAMS is asking for the name and contact information of an individual at AMEX with whom to start the mediation. They said AMEX would have to agree to participate in optional mediation (as opposed to arbitration, which is required). I guess I can just give them the name of their General Counsel, but what contact info would I give them? And how do I know if they agree to mediation?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:49 pm

Yeah general counsel is fine, contact info you can also just give a general office number.
Most likely amex will first try to dismiss, then settle.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by wiivile
I guess I can just give them the name of their General Counsel, but what contact info would I give them?
Based on my IANAL experience, the CEO should be the one for all purposes. But some companies won't mind "General Counsel" as the company representative.

You should use the NYC address.

Originally Posted by wiivile
And how do I know if they agree to mediation?
Because mediation does not stop the arbitration (but it may stay/delay the arbitration), so you will be definitely notified if AMEX agrees on mediation.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by garykung
Based on my IANAL experience, the CEO should be the one for all purposes. But some companies won't mind "General Counsel" as the company representative.

You should use the NYC address.

Because mediation does not stop the arbitration (but it may stay/delay the arbitration), so you will be definitely notified if AMEX agrees on mediation.
Unfortunately, JAMS will not proceed with my mediation because they say AMEX needs to agree to mediation since it is optional. Without the ability to get AMEX to agree to do anything, I have to resort to arbitration, unfortunately, which costs $250 (though the cardmember agreement says I am only responsible for up to the fee of a small claims, which is $15). So I have to shell out $250 and hope AMEX reimburses me $235?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.