Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:56 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
The latest Amex conference call had reference to Delta and Starwood.

"In this context, we were also pleased to recently renew our long-term relationship with Starwood, as with Delta, we believe that this relationship provides attractive value for card members and opportunities for growth going forward."

This is likely referring to the Amex cards for each program--though the Platinum Amex has benefits for both programs. Amex's strategy is very puzzling to me. On one hand, the Platinum card has historically been about benefits without regard to a specific partner. For example, Priority Pass membership, status in all car rentals (even if its useless now), etc. SPG Gold is interesting because its about a particular brand. Centurion Lounge membership to me makes up for the loss of United club access in some cases. So, Amex is going in three directions at once:

(1) Partnerships with all brands (Car rental; lounge membership with Delta, Priority Pass Select, Virgin, Aeropass)
(2) Partnerships with just one brand: SPG Gold status and no other hotel status
(3) Replacement of partnerships with Amex amenities (Centurion Lounge).

You can't move in 3 directions at once and succeed.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I am torn on my next card. I am done with co branded cards as my primary card and going with bank cards only. In a few days I have an interview for a job that will pay me considerably more than I make today, and if I get it I may shift my credit card strategy to more perk based rather than squeezing the most points for free travel.

I am torn between Citi Presitge and Amex Platinum. If the Amex platinum matched Citi with two things, 250 credit on any airline including airfare, and added trip delay insurance I would go for it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
This is likely referring to the Amex cards for each program--though the Platinum Amex has benefits for both programs. Amex's strategy is very puzzling to me. On one hand, the Platinum card has historically been about benefits without regard to a specific partner. For example, Priority Pass membership, status in all car rentals (even if its useless now), etc. SPG Gold is interesting because its about a particular brand. Centurion Lounge membership to me makes up for the loss of United club access in some cases. So, Amex is going in three directions at once:

(1) Partnerships with all brands (Car rental; lounge membership with Delta, Priority Pass Select, Virgin, Aeropass)
(2) Partnerships with just one brand: SPG Gold status and no other hotel status
(3) Replacement of partnerships with Amex amenities (Centurion Lounge).

You can't move in 3 directions at once and succeed.
#2 is not so much of an issue if they add HHonors Gold.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I am torn between Citi Presitge and Amex Platinum. If the Amex platinum matched Citi with two things, 250 credit on any airline including airfare, and added trip delay insurance I would go for it.
MR is arguably more valuable than TY, but I think for many of us, they'd also need to add bonus categories.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I would be fine if they got rid of the useless Boingo benefit, and added Hilton Gold.
Boingo has been a useful benefit for me a few times a month. Adding GoGo would be nice too. That said, I'd like to see the points increase to PRG levels, plus a OW Status (unlikely), HH Gold locked in (got it again this year somehow), and 1:1 SPG transfers (enabling me to take points to AA/etc with the SPG bonus) would make this card my daily use card again.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think it is improbable that American Express will offer USA 1:1 transfers to Starwood, but it seems plausible that the transfer ratio could be 2:1 as it is in Canada and the UK.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by mia
I think it is improbable that American Express will offer USA 1:1 transfers to Starwood, but it seems plausible that the transfer ratio could be 2:1 as it is in Canada and the UK.
Meh. Still wouldn't be much of a benefit. I'd rather see bonus categories for spending like the CSP or PRG cards.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Could 1:1 be something offered for Centurion Cards?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Things I would love to see are:

1. Primary car rental insurance (I know AMEX has a separate product to cover this but CSP offers this at a fraction of the AF).
2. To solve the lounge program, if possible it would be nice to get a full priority pass membership not just select. This would open up many united lounges.
3. Make the airfare credit compete with Citi (250 and good for general airfare)

I think a nice bonus would also be the PRG points structure, but if I had to pick I would go with the perks over the points.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
Things I would love to see are:

1. Primary car rental insurance (I know AMEX has a separate product to cover this but CSP offers this at a fraction of the AF).
2. To solve the lounge program, if possible it would be nice to get a full priority pass membership not just select. This would open up many united lounges.
3. Make the airfare credit compete with Citi (250 and good for general airfare)

I think a nice bonus would also be the PRG points structure, but if I had to pick I would go with the perks over the points.
Now you're talking!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:17 pm
mia

... if possible it would be nice to get a full priority pass membership not just select. This would open up many united lounges.
Priority Pass Select was introduced for the specific purpose of excluding United Clubs. This is the way that Priority Pass kept UA from leaving completely. (Delta left Priority Pass after merging with Northwest. American left Priority Pass as part of the merger with US Airways.) The legacy airlines simply do not have enough lounge capacity to admit all the people in the USA who obtain free Priority Pass or Lounge Club memberships from credit card issuers. Even United's partner Chase is subject to this restriction.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:33 pm
mia

Moderator action

Off-topic discussion of the existing Boingo wireless internet benefit has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ingo-wifi.html
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass Select was introduced for the specific purpose of excluding United Clubs. This is the way that Priority Pass kept UA from leaving completely. (Delta left Priority Pass after merging with Northwest. American left Priority Pass as part of the merger with US Airways.) The legacy airlines simply do not have enough lounge capacity to admit all the people in the USA who obtain free Priority Pass or Lounge Club memberships from credit card issuers. Even United's partner Chase is subject to this restriction.
Out of the three legacy domestic airlines, card members should have lounge access to at least two of them. In addition to the Delta lounge access already provided, AMEX should increase the airline credit so we can pick another airline, pay the membership fee and get that reimbursed. That would be a nice perk, and customizable based on individual travel preference.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:48 am
mia

... AMEX should increase the airline credit so we can pick another airline, pay the membership fee and get that reimbursed. .
What annual fee would you pay for the card if they were to do this?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
What annual fee would you pay for the card if they were to do this?
$450
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by TMM1982
$450
Essentially you want the Platinum Card for free? Will not happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.