Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 8:03 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
It always seemed like there was an up charge, but I never recall seeing it specifically broken out. Perhaps it was, but it certainly was never highlighted what it was. I always knew I was paying higher, but sometimes it was worth it.
The Amex service charge is $6.99 for domestic itins and $10.99 for international. Plat cardmembers can now compare the difference by searching for fares while logged out vs while logged in.

Because of the service charge, I've never used Amex Travel to book airfare, so I'm not sure when this change went into effect.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by dw
Is this new? The following message now pops up when I log into amextravel.com:

"As a Platinum Card Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express booking fee when you book on AmexTravel.com"
Seems that it is. Received the following email from Amex this morning touting this as a "new benefit." I hope this is not the exciting new benefit that we've been waiting for . . .

Taking a trip is about to cost a little less. As a Platinum Card® Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express® booking fee when you log into your Platinum Card account and book on AmexTravel.com.

You can continue to use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of your flight, hotel booked and paid in advance, vacation package or cruise booking. Plus, when you search for hotels backed by our “Lowest Hotel Rate Guaranteed” policy, we're so confident they'll be the lowest online, we'll even put money on it. We know you'll enjoy our wide selection of hotels at the lowest nightly rate, guaranteed.

On your next trip, take full advantage of all the benefits your Platinum Card offers.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JeffMIA
Seems that it is. Received the following email from Amex this morning touting this as a "new benefit." I hope this is not the exciting new benefit that we've been waiting for . . .

Taking a trip is about to cost a little less. As a Platinum Card® Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express® booking fee when you log into your Platinum Card account and book on AmexTravel.com.

You can continue to use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of your flight, hotel booked and paid in advance, vacation package or cruise booking. Plus, when you search for hotels backed by our “Lowest Hotel Rate Guaranteed” policy, we're so confident they'll be the lowest online, we'll even put money on it. We know you'll enjoy our wide selection of hotels at the lowest nightly rate, guaranteed.

On your next trip, take full advantage of all the benefits your Platinum Card offers.
I got the same email.

While I'd love a more tangible benefit (like Gogo passes or something) to boost the Plat car back up, this might actually make me move some spend back to my Plat card.

IIRC, booking through Amex Travel gets you 2x MR. In the past, that hasn't been worth the booking fee, especially since the majority of my flying is on DL and I already get 2x SkyMiles using that card.

But with no fee, and MR worth more than DL miles if for no other reason than the flexibility, I may actually start using my Plat card and booking through Amex for the additional MR and better travel insurance.

(And yes, I know I can get more MR on airfare from other cards. I use some of the other Plat benefits, though, and to this point just haven't felt the need to juggle yet another card for an extra 15k points a year or whatever).
Old May 4, 2015, 7:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dw
"As a Platinum Card Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express booking fee when you book on AmexTravel.com"
If I recall correctly, this fee was added when the site was outsourced to Travelocity, without any announcement, even though Travelocity did not charge a fee on its own site. Now the site is outsourced to Orbitz, and removing the fee is touted as a benefit. Do Expedia or Orbitz charge booking fees these days?

Does the fee reappear if you pay with another card, such as Premier Rewards Gold?
Old May 4, 2015, 7:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by mia
Does the fee reappear if you pay with another card, such as Premier Rewards Gold?
I actually did do a booking this weekend and was not charged a booking fee even though I used my PRG card instead of my Plat card.

IMHO this isn't a huge change for those with just Plat cards, but for those who also have a PRG, this now means 4x MR points for airfare, which is not bad.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Plat benefit - no AMEX Travel fees - May 2015

Got an email this morning of this new PLAT cardholder benefit - no booking fees, so it doesn't cost us to actually redeem points for travel
Old May 4, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
My fee is about to become due in a month or so, and I was hoping we'd see these exciting new features added to this card, but if this is it, I don't think I will keep it, especially with my traveling being less than what it was.

I was hoping they'd add bonus categories to it like for restaurants or something, but I doubt it now. The PRG card seems to be the card to maximize point earnings nowadays.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:37 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by zorbachs
My fee is about to become due in a month or so, and I was hoping we'd see these exciting new features added to this card, but if this is it, I don't think I will keep it, especially with my traveling being less than what it was.

I was hoping they'd add bonus categories to it like for restaurants or something, but I doubt it now. The PRG card seems to be the card to maximize point earnings nowadays.
They are also allowing us to pay interest and carry a balance...I got that notice. No thanks...
Old May 4, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
If we had a Gold PRG with 3x on airfare, sounds like it could be useful for hotel/car at 2x points. Wonder what their low price guarantee is worth...
Old May 4, 2015, 9:43 am

I am very underwhelmed.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:51 am
mia

Originally Posted by NDN
They are also allowing us to pay interest and carry a balance...I got that notice. No thanks...
This is not new, but it is a good way to earn a one-time bonus if offered to enroll. It does not convert your charge card to a credit card. Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ption-usa.html
Old May 4, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I haven't gotten any emails from Centurion yet. However as far as booking fees, there's never ever been any booking fees for me as a charter Centurion member.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
...never ever been any booking fees for me as a charter Centurion member.
This benefit is specifically for booking online at this site:

https://travel.americanexpress.com/home

Booking through CTS or PTS is different.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I received the email today. It was sent with the subject line:New benefit: No online booking fees with your Platinum Card.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:50 pm

underwhelmed...

Would love to say I'm excited Amex finally got with the program and stopped charging a transaction fee for using their website to book travel, but I look at this as something they should have been doing anyways and certainly not a benefit to be championed on high.

With the loss of the lounge programs at American, US Air and to a lesser degree Delta (I realize I still get in myself) and no real replacement, these tiny new benefits just aren't cutting it.

Come on Amex, step up to the plate like you actually want to have the Platinum Card have some value beyond FHR and Centurion lounges

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.