Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Guess we know now, 30% back on pay with point redemptions startig July 1. Anyone else get the email?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Guess we know now, 30% back on pay with point redemptions startig July 1. Anyone else get the email?
Personal plat? I thought that is only for business plat?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:21 am

Yep, came this morning - nice to have it back in some form, never used it before, but good to know its there, although limited - but whatever.

Still holding out hope there's more - seeing the recent moves by Citi to upgrade their premium cards - and the PRG changes... I'm *hoping* there's something that returns both Personal and Biz Platinums to the top, other than some perceived "cache."
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by levilevi
Yep, came this morning - nice to have it back in some form, never used it before, but good to know its there, although limited - but whatever.

Still holding out hope there's more - seeing the recent moves by Citi to upgrade their premium cards - and the PRG changes... I'm *hoping* there's something that returns both Personal and Biz Platinums to the top, other than some perceived "cache."
For me, travel insurance that is on par with (or hopefully above and beyond) what Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire offer would be a start.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
No email for me yet.

Is this Pay With Points like redeeming MR for travel (via travel.amex.com) or the thing where you use points to pay off various statement charges?

The former has always seemed to offer something like a 1 CPP conversion, but the latter is some horrible ratio like 20k MR for a $120 charge.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Is this Pay With Points like redeeming MR for travel (via travel.amex.com).
Yes. See discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...k-flights.html

I will combine when I am confident that it applies to both personal and Business cards.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by trivea
For me, travel insurance that is on par with (or hopefully above and beyond) what Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire offer would be a start.
You're so right on this - I have my Plat Biz card in my Hertz Gold profile - and also have enrolled my Amex cards in the higher end per-rental primary insurance. Last week was renting for basically one day (about 9 hours) and a cheap rate - and the Amex insurance would have almost doubled the cost. When picking up the car, I went to the counter to switch the charge to my Ink Bold card - primary coverage when renting for business.

I know that $40 lost charge for Amex isn't a big deal, but its indicative of them losing slowly.

FYI - the CDP code for Platinum Amex with Hertz is a very good deal - adds 4 hour grace period on returns - saves often from having to pay and extra day on a slightly longer than 24 hour rental. In the above scenario last week - I was able to get the CDP without using the Amex card to pay for it

Last edited by levilevi; Apr 22, 2015 at 7:26 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:33 pm

If that's the "new" benefit, AMEX is really going to have problems keeps customers
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:31 pm

And thats all of April folks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
For me, FHR is the only reason that's keeping me from canceling the AMEX Plat and going with the Citi Prestige. They better offer a new benefit that makes their personal Plat cardholders from going elsewhere..
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trivea
I now have three cards that offer primary car rental insurance. In addition, the Citi Prestige offers 3 TYP per dollar since rentals are in the travel category. It's to the point where I charge nothing on my Plat except the $200 incidental airline fees each year and GE once every five years. Prestige also still has ticket insurance and offers 2 TYP for the entertainment category. That's another thing Amex stopped. I've kept the card for access to Delta, Air Space, and Centurion lounges. I use Prestige for Admirals Club and my UA card for their lounges. It's getting harder to see the value from the $250 AF.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by eajusa
I now have three cards that offer primary car rental insurance. In addition, the Citi Prestige offers 3 TYP per dollar since rentals are in the travel category. It's to the point where I charge nothing on my Plat except the $200 incidental airline fees each year and GE once every five years. Prestige also still has ticket insurance and offers 2 TYP for the entertainment category. That's another thing Amex stopped. I've kept the card for access to Delta, Air Space, and Centurion lounges. I use Prestige for Admirals Club and my UA card for their lounges. It's getting harder to see the value from the $250 AF.
I agree. And switched to Prestige, since my need for the Centurion lounges is rather limited (although I like them) and I do not fly Delta or think much of the DL lounges anyway. You should be aware, however, that unlike the Citi Premier, that provides the category bonus for travel generally, the Citi Prestige 3 TYP category is expressly limited to air travel and hotels - not rental cars.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:37 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Is this new? The following message now pops up when I log into amextravel.com:

"As a Platinum Card Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express booking fee when you book on AmexTravel.com"

This could be useful for those who want to book air tickets through amextravel to get the double MR points.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by dw
Is this new? The following message now pops up when I log into amextravel.com:

"As a Platinum Card Member, you will no longer be charged an American Express booking fee when you book on AmexTravel.com"

This could be useful for those who want to book air tickets through amextravel to get the double MR points.
It always seemed like there was an up charge, but I never recall seeing it specifically broken out. Perhaps it was, but it certainly was never highlighted what it was. I always knew I was paying higher, but sometimes it was worth it.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
I always knew I was paying higher, but sometimes it was worth it.
Just don't let Amex know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.