Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unspecified new benefits for USA AMEX personal Platinum coming Spring 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
maybe finally 1:1 transfers for SPG..
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:32 am

How about adding the PRG's points earning tiers to the Platinum?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Just bring back CX Gold, or something equivalent in OW or SA.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
The new SPG benefit is not tied to Amex SPG Card. The timing is about the same. Here is link to SPG benefit page.

www.spg.com/P50
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
We are really going to do this until spring, aren't we

Thought: what if we just waited until they announce an actual change? This would have the fascinating benefit of not guessing.

Crazy, I know...

Regards
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
How about adding the PRG's points earning tiers to the Platinum?
This would have been great a year ago, but Citi Prestige beat AMEX to the punch, IMHO with a similar rewards earning scheme.

I think Gogo Wifi Passes, Free Supplementary Cards, and $250 annual any airline charge credit on top of the PRG benefits would put it over the top, but this might be asking for too much from AMEX.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
We are really going to do this until spring, aren't we

Thought: what if we just waited until they announce an actual change? This would have the fascinating benefit of not guessing.

Crazy, I know...

Regards
That takes away all of the fun!

From a business perspective, if they added the PRG earnings structure, I would think that Amex would lose some $$$ in annual fees. I keep both the plat and PRG specifically because I spend a lot on airfare, gas and groceries. So I would clearly close the PRG if they did that.

Last edited by United747; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by United747
That takes away all of the fun!

From a business perspective, if they added the PRG earnings structure, I would thing that Amex would lose some $$$ in annual fees. I keep both the plat and PRG specifically because I spend a lot on airfare, gas and groceries. So I would clearly close the PRG if they did that.
Amex's competition for the Platinum is much stronger than it was several years ago. As I see it, they need to keep the Platinum competitive, even if that risks losing some PRG annual fee revenue.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by redsunsdriver
Just bring back CX Gold, or something equivalent in OW or SA.
My thoughts exactly. Hotel and car rental benefits are fine, but on the airline front there's a lot of room for improvement.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:56 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by steve4
This would have been great a year ago, but Citi Prestige beat AMEX to the punch, IMHO with a similar rewards earning scheme.

I think Gogo Wifi Passes, Free Supplementary Cards, and $250 annual any airline charge credit on top of the PRG benefits would put it over the top, but this might be asking for too much from AMEX.
If Amex threw in all of those goodies, I could probably stomach a $500-550 AF. Then I'd dump the PRG.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by rpk113
maybe finally 1:1 transfers for SPG..
That'll never happen. Then people would turn around and tranfser 20k spg to get the 5k bonus. I'm sure thats a loophole they don't want opened.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exmike
That'll never happen. Then people would turn around and tranfser 20k spg to get the 5k bonus. I'm sure thats a loophole they don't want opened.
It's not really a "loophole," it's a benefit.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
while I agree that hilton gold would be nice (far better than SPG gold for sure), its so easy to obtain with a CC for a small annual fee that I'd rather have something else. I agree something airline oriented would be nice to make up for the death by a thousand cuts we've been experiencing. Something that gives us an alliance tier would be nice.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:06 pm

The latest Amex conference call had reference to Delta and Starwood.

"In this context, we were also pleased to recently renew our long-term relationship with Starwood, as with Delta, we believe that this relationship provides attractive value for card members and opportunities for growth going forward."
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:49 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by exmike
That's called arbitrage, and they won't create arbitrage conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.