Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:22 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: u2g0d
Wiki Link
Boingo Sign-up here:
https://amex.boingo.com/

American Express press release is here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...%C2%AE-Members

Boingo Wireless

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.

If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓
If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓ alone. TSA Pre✓ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 14, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat

from
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/new-...e-boingo-wifi/

- GE already got me preCheck, so I'm not too excited by that
- Boingo might be useful if I ever traveled anywhere without 3G or free WiFi.
Old Mar 20, 14, 11:29 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by u2g0d View Post
- GE already got me preCheck, so I'm not too excited by that
Agreed, but there are people who cannot qualify for Global Entry, but could qualify for preCheck, such as those who do not have a passport.
Old Mar 20, 14, 11:32 am

Boingo is a nice added benefit, but I was really hoping they'd somehow partner up with Gogo as well. Still, between this and some hotel status (also provided by the Platinum), you have free wifi pretty much anywhere but in the air while traveling. Their marketing department can write me a check for spinning it like that.
Old Mar 20, 14, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
I like the Boingo option. I sometimes pay for it when the free wifi's aren't running well. I find Boingo to be much more reliable. Hopefully the extra volume from Amex Plat users doesn't slow it down.

Gotta give Amex credit for continuing to try!
Old Mar 20, 14, 12:52 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Credit for GE and PreCheck but not NEXUS
Old Mar 20, 14, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Nice for the Boingo option! I've been paying for the $8 (Mobile only) plan for years now, and I switch to the $60 Unlimited Global plan when I travel (when I was in France, they were metering the Marriott Hotel WiFi unless you had Boingo/iPass/...).

Plus, there's lots of places w/o free WiFi.
Old Mar 20, 14, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
Credit for GE and PreCheck but not NEXUS
I'm pretty sure I got credit for Nexus last year - did you apply through GEOS?
Old Mar 20, 14, 3:38 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM

free wifi at the airport is becoming more and more common, and nearly everyone has tethering now with their phones. this is a minor benefit at best. they're really reaching
Old Mar 20, 14, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
This is a nice option for me. I was denied for GE (twice), which isnt a horribly big deal as i dont do too much intl travel, but the pre will be hugely helpful for all my domestic trips. And the wifi is nice but not hugely beneficial as i spend 95% of my time in the airport at a club which has free wifi anyway.
Old Mar 20, 14, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
I was really hoping they'd somehow partner up with Gogo
Now that would be awesome..

BOINGO, MEH, I use my phone's LTE Hotspot 99% of the time (even in the admirals clubs and hotels). 99% of my travel is domestic in LTE available areas..
Old Mar 20, 14, 4:56 pm

The Boingo news is good for me as some international airports, like Terminal 3 at Heathrow, offer wifi at somewhat expensive prices. This is the first mention that I've come across of Global Entry being offered once every 5 years, which would cover my renewal.
Old Mar 20, 14, 6:01 pm

Worthless

This is pretty much worthless, GE already provide TSA Pre-Check so that nullifies Pre-Check and now that aircards and mobile phones provide internet access this is pretty much a worthless addition. If this was GoGo wireless it would be awesome, but Boingo meh...
Old Mar 20, 14, 6:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by lovethoselegs View Post
... and now that aircards and mobile phones provide internet access ...
My devices' WAN is capped; I wasn't aware there were all these FTers out there with unlimited Mobile internet!
Old Mar 20, 14, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nyc2socal View Post
Now that would be awesome..

BOINGO, MEH, I use my phone's LTE Hotspot 99% of the time (even in the admirals clubs and hotels). 99% of my travel is domestic in LTE available areas..
Do you have unlimited data? If not, why not use Wifi when you could/can and conserve your data for when you really need it?

I must say though, overall, I certainly hope there is more coming than this. I still find value in this card and I'm coming out ahead, but the math is definitely getting harder.

Regards
Old Mar 20, 14, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Totally makes up for losing AA...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: