Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by winner88
.. Is there anyway to take advantage of this offer seeing that i already have a business platinum card?
Probably not, because American Express regards the person, rather than the company, to be the applicant, and you already have the card. Still, in view of the changes in offer terms, it would be worth calling to ask. I would ask why they targeted me if they know I am not eligible.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AmEX Platinum, HYATT - Diamond, SPG - Gold, HILTON - Gold, IHG - Platinum,
Originally Posted by mia
Probably not, because American Express regards the person, rather than the company, to be the applicant, and you already have the card. Still, in view of the changes in offer terms, it would be worth calling to ask. I would ask why they targeted me if they know I am not eligible.
Thanks.. I'll do that. I have been receiving both the platinum and the Gold offer non stop for the new business. The good news is that I do not currently have a gold business card only the PRG. So worse case scenario is that I may end up accepting the 75K business Gold offer.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AmEX Platinum, HYATT - Diamond, SPG - Gold, HILTON - Gold, IHG - Platinum,
I just got off the phone with AmEX, unfortunately because the offer specifically mentioned the not valid clause they cannot do anything about it..
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
Loading with Serve for Minimum Spend?

Does anyone have experience using Serve to meet minimum spend with the AMEX platinum business card?

From the Serve thread here on FT, it seems that Serve loads with AMEX do not earn points, but do count for minimum spend. I can swing the $10k without Serve, but I would need it to hit the $20k. Just curious if anyone has specifically done this with the AMEX biz plat.

I got my offer today and it expires Sept 5. This works out great as I will be finishing my Citi Aadvantage 100k min spend in late August.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the online app process, if you get 'pending' and it leaves you at the 'add another cardholder screen,' just click 'skip' and you might be approved. Worked for me x2.

And DON'T add another cardholder. I think it's $350/year.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I just got this offer. Trying to figure out how I can spend 20k in 3 months before I pull the trigger.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by rajuabju
I just got this offer. Trying to figure out how I can spend 20k in 3 months before I pull the trigger.
I had a 100k offer that I was smart enough to pass on, and got this 150k offer last week. Here's my plan on how to make it through 20k...

Amazon Payment (3k or 4k, depending on what part of the month you apply)
AGC's through portals --> bluebird - I could do up to $10k/month, but I'll try and diversify it more.
Simon Mall GC's - I don't live near one, but will pass by a few next month. $500 for $2.95 fee
Actual spend - I can put everything on this card for 3 months, definitely worth it for the 150k

Also, there's AFT that could get you at least $3k for somewhat minimal fees
Even actually buying VGC's on GCM through BF for $2.49/card is worth it.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by bthomas362
I had a 100k offer that I was smart enough to pass on, and got this 150k offer last week. Here's my plan on how to make it through 20k...

Amazon Payment (3k or 4k, depending on what part of the month you apply)
AGC's through portals --> bluebird - I could do up to $10k/month, but I'll try and diversify it more.
Simon Mall GC's - I don't live near one, but will pass by a few next month. $500 for $2.95 fee
Actual spend - I can put everything on this card for 3 months, definitely worth it for the 150k

Also, there's AFT that could get you at least $3k for somewhat minimal fees
Even actually buying VGC's on GCM through BF for $2.49/card is worth it.
Do you have a good link explaning the following
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JBG89
Do you have a good link explaning the following
http://tinyurl.com/oaw9ftj This gives the gist of it. The turnaround isn't as quick using GCM as just buying them locally, but it helps cut down on fees if you get the .5% from BF. If anything is still unclear feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AOPA
I am thinking about to apply the 100k bus plat. Don't know if I am eligible under the 12 month rule.

I had the bus gold from 1/1/13 to 1/1/14, and in between I upgraded to the bus plat, and it was down graded back to gold I June of 2014. Should I wait until 2015 or can I apply for the bus plat now?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddy25
I am thinking about to apply the 100k bus plat. Don't know if I am eligible under the 12 month rule.

I had the bus gold from 1/1/13 to 1/1/14, and in between I upgraded to the bus plat, and it was down graded back to gold I June of 2014. Should I wait until 2015 or can I apply for the bus plat now?

Thanks
Bus. Gold and Bus. Plat both make you unable to get this bonus, so wait.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Bus. Gold and Bus. Plat both make you unable to get this bonus, so wait.
arent they considerd 2 seprate prouducs?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by teddy25
... in between I upgraded to the bus plat, and it was down graded back to gold I June of 2014....
Unless stated otherwise in the offer terms, holding a Business Gold no longer disqualifies you from receiving a bonus for a Business Platinum, but I do not recall any specific reports about how American Express treats upgrades/downgrades for bonus purposes. I would call (more than once) to ask if you are eligible for the bonus. I would not mention the history, just ask. If there is any confusion or hesitation I would wait until this time next year.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Unless stated otherwise in the offer terms, holding a Business Gold no longer disqualifies you from receiving a bonus for a Business Platinum, but I do not recall any specific reports about how American Express treats upgrades/downgrades for bonus purposes. I would call (more than once) to ask if you are eligible for the bonus. I would not mention the history, just ask. If there is any confusion or hesitation I would wait until this time next year.
Looks like you're right. Sorry I didn't read that carefully. It clearly says "this product."

Which means, I blew it. I did one for my wife and gave away my other one, since I have a biz Gold . . .
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
150K MR points with 20K spend is a fantastic deal if you can make use of the points. If nothing else, just make a superfluous $20K federal estimated tax payment on the card for $400 in fees, give or take. Uncle Sam is more than fine with that.

Next year I'll be flying in Singapore F cabin, SFO-HKG roundtrip, thanks to 141,000 Amex MR points. Add up all the fees and fuel surcharges and it's like I'm flying in first for the price of good coach fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.